smart guys

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have a question ,, back on the next ridge over they drilled a gas well,, and well things have been very quiet over there for almost a year now,, a week of so back they started bringing in bog old compressors and equipment again,, then last night, they were burning off the well burned all night and then tey shut it off this morning, and tonight it burning again,, why are they burning off the gas? Is that something thats done to clean out the lines before they start pumping gas into the pipe line? And no I dont have any gas rights so I dont get a penny,, just wondering why they burn them off?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
what cha got there is a pressure release valve kicking in, called a flare stack. Helps protect all that fancy equipment!:)

(oldest son worked in the oil field for a small while - Saudi's created a little surplus - so he got laid off - but gas is 1:40 here :))

lots of fun stuff to be had here !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_flare

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Skeets, that torch was probably going all day long as well. On natural gas wells, they use the torch when they test it after completion. They hook a flow meter to it, and burn off the gas flow.

Sometimes they use them when doing repairs on site as well. They gotta burn the gas off after isolating what they need to work on. Sometimes it takes a few days to burn off the gas. The local propane company down the road had one of there trucks spring a leak in a valve. They hooked up a torch to it, and it burned for over 24 hours.

With the compressors being there, I'm wondering if they are having to run a pig up the pipeline to clean or inspect it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, don't know what you're talking about. Nobody mentioned anything about Rosie O'Donnell!:D

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, don't what you're talking about. Nobody mentioned anything about Rosie O'Donnell!:D
:p:p They would have to do some serious jumping up and down and stuffing for that one :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like they came in and refracted the well to get better flow.
It's very common for them to burn off the gases that they don't want, like methane. ;)

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Several possible reasons as mentioned previous. Usually a gas well will have lift valves in the completion string. Did they bring in a truck mounted rig? If so they are getting ready to work over the well, meaning they will have to pull all completion tools out of primary casing and burn the gas in between the lift valves to work on it. If they brought in a big compressor (truck or skip mounted) that is all about compressing the gas so it will flow down the pipeline. I don't think the payback for a frac job exists at today's prices. With no rig on location my guess would be pipeline work. Ed B

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nope the well has been drilled over the last 3 years, so i doubt they are pulling any caseings,

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
The mention of 'compressors' causes me to think what you saw were truck-mounted high-pressure high-volume pumps used in hydraulic fracturing.

After drilling the well it probably sat waiting on completion. This--waiting-- happens for a lot of different reasons.

They probably completed the well, or if it had already been completed, recompleted it.

The [re]completion process may have involved hydraulic fracturing (those 'compressors observed).

If hydraulically fractured (refer to FracFocus.Org) using 98+% fresh water all that water (fracturing fluid) had to be recovered in order to bring the well on stream for gas sales.

I suspect the flare you saw was the gas being burned as the well was turned to atmosphere with minimal backpressure in order to maximize recovery of the water-based fracturing fluid.

The flare was almost certainly burning continuously and you could only see it in the dark. Modern flares burn with almost 100% efficiency so there would be virtually no smoke (in this gas well situation burning approximately pure methane).

When some calculated percentage of fluid is recovered and the well starts producing 'pipeline quality' gas then the well will be turned to sales through a meter.

If the well's pressure is too low or the local pipeline system pressure is too high, then you may expect compression equipment to be brought in and set on site to increase the gas pressure enough to enter the sales pipeline.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well thank you, the flare is done and no noise coming from the site,,, thank you for the explanation