Slow Moving Loader

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I also remember adjusting the 3pt lift lever just before having problems with the loader lift. There are 3 or four washers behind the inside nut on the threaded shaft coming out of the cast housing. Could this have anything to do with the loader lift problem?
YES, if the hydraulic system is in bypass that will slow everything down.
Try moving the three point lever to a mid position and see if that helps with the speed.

Frbe62

Equipment
L235 DT, L275
Aug 10, 2016
Maryville, TN
YES, if the hydraulic system is in bypass that will slow everything down.
Try moving the three point lever to a mid position and see if that helps with the speed.
North Idaho Wolfman,

Thanks for the replies. I tried replying several times but the site kept timing me out.

Anyway, I found out that I topped off the hydraulic system with hydraulic fluid that was mixed with used motor oil. Needless to say I replaced the fluid and filter immediately. The loader speed did pick up but some. I then backed off some on the tension on the 3pt hitch and the loader speed seemed to get better. I mentioned that the threaded shaft that the 3pt lift handle connects to has three or four washers on it. The washers are placed between the cast housing and the first nut on the shaft. Are the washers on the shaft a sign of a possible problem?

Thanks so much,
Fred

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are the washers on the shaft a sign of a possible problem?
No, not at all.
The washers are stock and they are spring washers.
They are there to keep tension on the lever.

Frbe62

Equipment
L235 DT, L275
Aug 10, 2016
Maryville, TN
No, not at all.
The washers are stock and they are spring washers.
They are there to keep tension on the lever.
North Idaho Wolfman,

There is/was little tension on the lever, so much so that the lever would no longer stay in place when set. that's why I made an adjustment in the first place. Are they special washers or is there supposed to be a spring on that threaded shaft too?

Thanks,
fred

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The washers are called Belleville Washers.

In your case someone may have put one or more on backwards or omitted one. The idea of this design is not to need a spring.

From wikipedia:

Belleville washer, also known as a coned-disc spring,[1] conical spring washer,[2] disc spring, Belleville spring or cupped spring washer, is a conical shell which can be loaded along its axis either statically or dynamically. A Belleville washer is, then, a type of spring shaped like a washer. It is the frusto-conical shape that gives the washer a spring characteristic.

The "Belleville" name comes from the inventor Julien Belleville who in Dunkerque, France, in 1867 patented a spring design which already contained the principle of the disc spring.[1][3]

The real inventor of Belleville washers is, then, unknown.

Through the years, a lot of different profiles for disc springs have been developed. Today the most used are the profiles with or without contact flats, while some other profiles, like disc springs with trapezoidal cross-section, have lost importance.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are they special washers or is there supposed to be a spring on that threaded shaft too?
They are as Dave said Belleville Washers, AKA spring washers, so no they do not need another spring.

You just need to adjust them right then the lever will be spring attached to the valve rod without it being in bypass. ;)

Frbe62

Equipment
L235 DT, L275
Aug 10, 2016
Maryville, TN
The washers are called Belleville Washers.

In your case someone may have put one or more on backwards or omitted one. The idea of this design is not to need a spring.

From wikipedia:

Belleville washer, also known as a coned-disc spring,[1] conical spring washer,[2] disc spring, Belleville spring or cupped spring washer, is a conical shell which can be loaded along its axis either statically or dynamically. A Belleville washer is, then, a type of spring shaped like a washer. It is the frusto-conical shape that gives the washer a spring characteristic.

The "Belleville" name comes from the inventor Julien Belleville who in Dunkerque, France, in 1867 patented a spring design which already contained the principle of the disc spring.[1][3]

The real inventor of Belleville washers is, then, unknown.

Through the years, a lot of different profiles for disc springs have been developed. Today the most used are the profiles with or without contact flats, while some other profiles, like disc springs with trapezoidal cross-section, have lost importance.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the information. I’ll take a good look at those washers and order spring washers if needed.

Thanks again,
Fred

Frbe62

Equipment
L235 DT, L275
Aug 10, 2016
Maryville, TN
They are as Dave said Belleville Washers, AKA spring washers, so no they do not need another spring.

You just need to adjust them right then the lever will be spring attached to the valve rod without it being in bypass. ;)
North Idaho Wolfman,

Thanks again, I really appreciate your paitience and knowledge.

Fred