Slope/angle

otter

Equipment
L3800, LA524 loader, BH77 backhoe, thumb, box blade small wood lot log grapple
Sep 26, 2014
Chase, Alaska
When designing, building or operating on a slope, is there an listed operational angle/slope that is posted or known-other than trial and error?
Considering building a steep road and am curious if there is an angle limit where the oil or hydrolic pump will cease having oil to pump.
Will be upside down before the pumps will not have a submerged intake line?
Maybe I'd lose traction before running out of intake?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
On what slope angle is excessive, likely you will find agreement here that angle is when it tips over. It's all something that is related to physics, center of gravity, etc. I'd not trust any info on the safe angle, since attachments, fuel level, etc. all influence the stability.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Otter it is a good question, but I suspect it is going to be one of those it all depends deals. I was talking to the service manager about something yesterday, and he happened to mention that the only work they'd had on a tractor was replacing the engine block because it had been used for a number of years to mow slopes in the local dump, going up and down hills with a batwing, and the slope was long enough and steep enough that the engine wasn't well lubricated. But it took years of use. So in your case it might be how long a drive and is the slope great enough to get the oil pick up out of the oil, or if it is designed that way. My thought is that if it is that steep, winter would be a nightmare :eek:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
From a US government web site for ATV trails.

Remember going down hill in 2WD means almost no brakes.
Going uphill risks a back flip.

Slopes
The slope conditions along an ATV trail are also a good indicator of development costs—and, to some extent, long-term maintenance cost.
A quick way to check slope conditions is to use a 1: 24,000 scale topo map for quick
evaluation of the slopes along the trail, i.e., 10-foot rise over 100 feet equals 10% slope on a
topo map (see below slope graphic). However, there is no substitute for direct field
measurement; in that case, use an “Abney Hand Level” to recheck areas with critical slope
conditions. The following slope conditions are divided into three broad categories: mild,
moderate and steep slopes.
Flat to mild slopes of 1% to 5% are easy to develop into ATV trails and are even desirable
to provide some drainage.
Moderate slopes in the 6% to 12% ranges are workable and will require additional protective
measures depending on soil types—and these slopes also provide a moderate challenge for
the ATV rider. The maximum sustained grade on ATV trails will be 12%.
Steep slopes from 13% to 25% become problematic for development. Great care should be
used in developing trails on steep slopes. A steep trail over even a brief distance can
provide a high degree of difficulty for the ATV rider. If a steep slope must be crossed, it
would be best to incorporate steep slopes in short duration, a few hundred feet at a time,
mainly to provide diversity and rider challenge. Steep slopes with light sand or organic soil
type may require extensive armoring with gravel, frequent water bars, culverts, pavers, GeoBlock, and even pavement to prevent erosion.