Slip Clutch ???'s

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Don't just think because you have a slip clutch all is good. They can and do seize up and leave you with no protection. You basically have a direct drive.

Even with proper maintenance you can still break things. I have twisted 2 drivelines out on my batwing and it has 3 slip clutches.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I have a slip clutch on my tiller. After thinking I had it adjusted, hit a couple of things that killed the bx. I now every spring loosen the spring bolts, and engage the tiller in the ground to make sure it slips good for several seconds. Then just snug up the bolts. I keep the wrenches with me to further tighten if needed after actually tilling. Scary feeling having your implement kill the tractor.

Ken1945

Equipment
B2710
Feb 10, 2019
Cleveland, TN
Used a slip clutch on a 3600 ford ,and 6ft bush hog ,didn't slip,broke the shaft in the transmission,tore up 2 gears,bust the front plate,had to break the tractor in 3 pieces,so beware of the slip clutch,they have to be maintained

NorCalOrange

Equipment
B2150HST, Brush Hog, FEL, Post Hole Digger
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
No lathe to notch the bolts. Just a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a vise. Or, a file in a vise, spin the bolt with a drill while pressing it against the side of the file.

The drill approach should get somewhat of a more uniform groove around the entire bolt. The file and drill was posted by someone that makes shear bolts for snowblowers. Thanks D2Cat.

Any other suggestions?

NorCalOrange

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
Is it ok to use this type of retaining ring on the rotary cutter gear box shaft? Its their in case the shear bolt breaks. It keeps the u-joint drive line on the gearbox shaft.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it ok to use this type of retaining ring on the rotary cutter gear box shaft? Its their in case the shear bolt breaks. It keeps the u-joint drive line on the gearbox shaft.
If it's already set up to use that type of snap ring, then yes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The original snap ring was round, no eyes. Being cautious because the shear bolt may actually fail one day after it is notched.
Then the original snap ring wasn't a traditional snap ring, it's a different kind of ring, and then no that snap ring will not work because the eyes will grab and fail.

You need to get a retaining ring without the ears.

NorCalOrange

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Newcastle, Ca.
Here is a grooved 1/2" Grade 2 shear bolt. Preferred to have the groove just slightly narrower, not as wide, but limited on resources. The wife held the angle grinder while I spun the bolt against the grinder disk with a drill.

From what other threads say, the groove makes for a cleaner break and the bolt usually does not smear and is easier to remove.

Im thinking that with the groove the shear strength is reduced 15-20%. Ok, I have no idea... lol

Should the groove be deeper or call it good?

Attachments