Sliding barn door - weather stripping

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
For logical reasons my son has used sliding doors on his shop. While they are firmly latched they are far from weather tight and while I have never seen tight sliding doors, others may have. It is routine winter weather conditions here to have 70-100 kph wind with horizontal snow. Any wisdom regarding a way to make these doors more resistant to wind driven snow?

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
That's a good question. There's a good chance I'll be putting a sliding door in my my pole barn when I rehab it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
We used to have 4 14-16' long doors on the garage. Winds so bad on this hill, they would flap out a foot, at the bottom. The brush would have helped some, but they always were a real PITA, we even made special hooks, to hook them in place, but still had them blowing in the wind. When we went to slide up garage doors, was the best thing since sliced bread...:D:D

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I used the foam pipe insulation and made it so it just touched the door when opening if I remember right I left it about a 1/4 past the door frame. I then use my cam lock fasteners on the inside to pull the door in to the foam. Mie has held up for 8 years

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I used the foam pipe insulation and made it so it just touched the door when opening if I remember right I left it about a 1/4 past the door frame. I then use my cam lock fasteners on the inside to pull the door in to the foam. Mie has held up for 8 years
hmmm.. picture is worth a thousand words.... course most those words are miss interpretations of the picture..... but still...

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
My barn has 3 12' x 12' roll up doors - not barn type like yours, but I think my efforts may be applicable. On my doors, along the top, there was a 2" gap along the entire width of the door, which in my fuzzy math equals a 2' hole for each door. A 6' opening defeats a lot of the reasons I had the barn insulated.

To fix, I installed brushes along the entire width on the header of each door. It cost less than $200 total and the result is pretty amazing. Even though the doors are not insulated and there are gaps along the edges and rails, it knocked a huge amount of draft down. With a simple ceramic heater going the barn holds a great deal of warmth.

http://www.memtechbrush.com/brush-seals/sectional-overhead-doors.htm

These are easy to install, and give some flexibility on installation. Took a couple of hours, but very well worth it.