Skidding trees with backhoe attached

gnanneb86

Dec 11, 2017
Holley, NY
Hi all,

I purchased a B2601 with a FEL and backhoe last year.

I'm working on clearing some trees with it and wondering if it's safe to hook a chain directly to the backhoe bucket and skid trees that way or if I should be hooking to some other tow point. Since I'm using the backhoe a lot during removal I want to be able to skid without removing it. Thanks for the help!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
IM not much help, but as I understand it, if you would draw the load up close and just up off the ground it will work, however thats not the problem as I understand. Its the side to side motion that works on the swing jacks and then may bend the rods. Maybe if you were low and slow, you might get away with it for a bit but sooner or later something is gona bend just MHO

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Skidding logs puts LOTS of stress on things; I agree with skeets.
Having said that, here is a thread on towing trailers with the hoe attached, and my solution to towing a small dump trailer or yard cart. Keep in mind that these little trailers have no where near the weight or leverage of a log; but maybe you can get some ideas from this thread.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26937&highlight=towing+backhoe

Attachments

Last edited:

gnanneb86

Dec 11, 2017
Holley, NY
Thanks for the replies.

The backhoe works well since I can lift one end of the log then drag it like a winch on a skidder, I'm just worried something is going to break while pulling with the tractor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If you have enough room, leave the draw bar and clevis on the machine with the hoe. Use that to drag logs. Alternatively, you could hook to the backhoe steps but, I wouldn't recommend chaining logs to the bucket for skidding purposes.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
If you have hooks on front bucket hook chain to it and back them out.

I do this sometimes, hook them close so I can pick up log to keep it from digging in. No big trees but it works for me.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I hooked a chain to a hook (now a proper hitch mount) - it's low enough it did not interfere with the back hoe. The picture shows a stump being hauled out of a hole - the tree was hauled away earlier the same way. (Edit added the picture)

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
I don't think it's the best idea to pull too much with the back hoe.

If the BH is tucked in, the hydraulic ram for the boom is essentially 'maxed' out or fully extended, making it very susceptible to bending.

Someone had a thread on that in here. I think it was something about his son using his tractor and bending the same ram twice. If I remember correctly there was a good amount of discussion on bending that ram.

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
I asked the same question in the beginning of this year . Dragging a large oak out if the woods . Another member on OTT advised not such a good idea , he bent up his backhoe pretty good, because the log gotten stuck on something. You can probably find my past post and take a look at what happened to his machine. Creature meadow has the right idea. Use front loader and back out. Thats what my dad had Also recommended, he has 45 years of experience with many machines .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was just re reading this and a thought came to mind of something I had seen one time as a youth. An old guy used a car hood when he pilled with an old tractor what didnt have a 3 point. Anyway what he wanted to drag , he put the front end on the hood and chained it and ran the chain through a hole in the hood to his draw bar. The hood slid over the ground and what ever he was dragging never dug into the ground and scooted right along. Might be something to look into

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I was just re reading this and a thought came to mind of something I had seen one time as a youth. An old guy used a car hood when he pilled with an old tractor what didnt have a 3 point. Anyway what he wanted to drag , he put the front end on the hood and chained it and ran the chain through a hole in the hood to his draw bar. The hood slid over the ground and what ever he was dragging never dug into the ground and scooted right along. Might be something to look into
Like this:

Attachments