shut down cable

JWGJR

Equipment
B7200 tractor
Feb 6, 2019
Mims Fl
My shut down mechanism will not return to the start position when cable is releasted. Is there some way the mechanism can hang up?
When forced by hang the lever will return to the start position. Help. Please

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My shut down mechanism will not return to the start position when cable is releasted. Is there some way the mechanism can hang up?
When forced by hang the lever will return to the start position. Help. Please
Assuming it is on your B7200?

Is there a decompression lever - and are you using that?

OR are you talking about the throttle on the right side that increases/decreases the speed of the engine/fuel delivery?

If the latter - a good bit of lube will help that spring snap it back to the start position. Look at where the linkage pivots and spray some good lube there, preferably not wd40.:D:)

IF you are using the compression release lever to shut down, that is not a good idea;)

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Decompression cable is on the left, fuel shutoff cable on the right.
On my old b8200, the fuel shutoff never returned on its own. I always had to push it back in manually. Whether that was normal, I don't know, but it never seemed odd to me. Sometimes I'd forget and when I tried to start, frustration would set in for about 2 seconds.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Which ever one, try to lube the cable, and check the return springs.

JWGJR

Equipment
B7200 tractor
Feb 6, 2019
Mims Fl
The cable to my shut down mechanism works fine. It moves in and out freely. But when I stop the engine by pulling on it takes a lot of force. Then the lever that was pulled rearward locks in place. cable will push back in, but lever remains in reward position. You have to use a wrench or a screwdriver to force it back in the start position. It seems to have a spring to reset it, but will not do it automatic you have to nudge it and then it will snap back to the start position.
Thought about putting another wire stop on cable to push it back.
Any Ideas ?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The cable to my shut down mechanism works fine. It moves in and out freely. But when I stop the engine by pulling on it takes a lot of force. Then the lever that was pulled rearward locks in place. cable will push back in, but lever remains in reward position. You have to use a wrench or a screwdriver to force it back in the start position. It seems to have a spring to reset it, but will not do it automatic you have to nudge it and then it will snap back to the start position.
Any Ideas ?
Somehow, something is binding - again - spraying the entire linkage down and push/pull on it should free it up.

On one of my B7100 - I can pull back, shut down and the lever stays there.....on my other B7100, if I let go - it snaps back quickly. I am just to lazy to spray it down - work fine and I am used to it!:eek::D:)

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
New cables are also available through your dealer, Messicks, and aftermarket ones from Ebay...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Any Ideas ?
There is a spring internally that makes the lever snap back into the run position.

Attachments

Last edited:

JWGJR

Equipment
B7200 tractor
Feb 6, 2019
Mims Fl
Thanks for the response with the parts diagram. Would that spring also make it extremely hard to pull out the shut down mechanism ? I suppose it would, if it is broken ?
Thanks, again

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Would that spring also make it extremely hard to pull out the shut down mechanism ? I suppose it would, if it is broken ?
Thanks, again
No not really, sounds like you have a bad cable and possibly a broken spring, or an issue with the lever and the cover binding, like corrosion.

Take the cable off the lever and see how easy it moves and see if it returns to run after to let off of it.

JWGJR

Equipment
B7200 tractor
Feb 6, 2019
Mims Fl
No not really, sounds like you have a bad cable and possibly a broken spring, or an issue with the lever and the cover binding, like corrosion.

Take the cable off the lever and see how easy it moves and see if it returns to run after to let off of it.
Excellent idea. I will try it when I am able to work on my machine again.You seem to be very knowledge of the machine.
On the inner end of the shutoff mechanism, there looks like a bell crank. It apparently activates something when rotated. Do you know what it might be ? ie valve, switch, etc. ? Being internal of the engine you cannot see unless you remove the whole mechanism.

JWGJR

Equipment
B7200 tractor
Feb 6, 2019
Mims Fl
An excelled idea. I will try it when I get to work on my machine again. There appears to be a bell crank on the inner end of the shaft. It must cause some action to take place when rotated. Do you know what it moves ? Possible a valve or switch ?
Thank you, Jerry

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellent idea. I will try it when I am able to work on my machine again.You seem to be very knowledge of the machine.
On the inner end of the shutoff mechanism, there looks like a bell crank. It apparently activates something when rotated. Do you know what it might be ? ie valve, switch, etc. ? Being internal of the engine you cannot see unless you remove the whole mechanism.
The lever moves the Rack on the injection pump up against the spring loaded idle stop, and that cuts off the fuel. ;)