Show me your Refueling Setup

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Re: Adding Fuel To L3301

I use a tank and a manual turn pump. Easy as pie to fuel up. Don't forget to install a filter on the discharge of the transfer pump.
I also use a long fuel hose …. first one I got was too short.
It will work for you.
Good luck, Pete:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I got tired of lifting fuel containers!

Not that everyone can use 300 gals of fuel, but there are smaller versions too.

Attachments

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO

Like you I had spilled diesel on my tractor, so I bought a 100 gallon tank, put it on a skid that I made for it so I can put it in the back of my truck, take it to the station to fill. Use the L3901DT to load and unload it. I have a post on how I wired the pump and the tractor to make it easy to plug the pump in to the tractor, Powering Fill-Rite pump

I know how much fuel I can lift, so I keep track of what I put in it and take out so I keep it under the weight I can lift.

Wolfman, I like your setup!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Wolfman, I like your setup!
Your setup is excellent, I like mine because the tank was free!:D
I have a friend that has about 50 of them and he was willing to part with one. ;)
I need to get the rest of the base finished then I can strap it down permanently!
Does make it nice to be able to go all winter and summer on one fill up.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Your setup is excellent, I like mine because the tank was free!:D
I have a friend that has about 50 of them and he was willing to part with one. ;)
I need to get the rest of the base finished then I can strap it down permanently!
Does make it nice to be able to go all winter and summer on one fill up.
Except when you pay the bill!! Diesel is $3.09 and off road about .40 less.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

... have a hell of a time adding diesel to my L3301.....
Merged your thread onto tail end of a long discussion on the same topic. Reading back thru the past post will give you a ton of insight.

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
You folks with larger supply tanks. My dad had a good storage tank but the Kubota mechanic neighbor convinced him to stop using it due to algae potential.

I am of the opinion a good treatment such as sea foam would fix that. My 3901 resides in garage not environmentally controlled so i keep the tank full:however, toting those 5 gallon cans is a chore. Believe i will keep my eyes peeled for a 50 gallon or so and invest in sea foam. Any thoughts?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’m using 5 gallon cans right now but looking to get a bigger setup up,seems I’m always needing fuel,can get off road fuel at a station two miles down the road,don’t know about sea foam but I use hot shots fuel treatment in my truck and tractor,use their oil treatment in the truck as well, 05 f250 6.0 with 215k miles,have yet to put an injector in it.know this an old thread but speaking running other fuels,I worked with a guy that used an e450 box van with 7.3 to pull his race car trailer on the weekends,never bought fuel for it,he would take all the used transmission fluid from the flush machine,only thing that van burned,never a problem

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You folks with larger supply tanks. My dad had a good storage tank but the Kubota mechanic neighbor convinced him to stop using it due to algae potential.

I am of the opinion a good treatment such as sea foam would fix that. My 3901 resides in garage not environmentally controlled so i keep the tank full:however, toting those 5 gallon cans is a chore. Believe i will keep my eyes peeled for a 50 gallon or so and invest in sea foam. Any thoughts?
I have had a big tank (300 Gal) for a year now, before that 55 gallon drums, and before that used 5 gallon containers.
I have always used Soltron to control algae with perfect results, I have not had any bad fuel since I started using it.
The higher your temp shifts and humidity the more drastic your problems can be.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Well we have plenty of temperature variations in this midwest area. I will check Soltron www site and search for a retailer. Appears in funtionality has similar affect as SeaFoam, stabilizes, lubricates and removes moisture. Thanks, i believe we are headed to 55 gallon drums. We will find it somewhere, appreciate the post.

LwhiteAH64

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525, LP RCF2060, LP BB1260, Yanmar 220 Diesel w/KK 60 Rotary Cutter
Jul 16, 2018
Dade City, Fl
Finally got it together today. $2.05 for off road diesel vs. $3.09 at the pump? Yes please.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Same as mine except battery operated pump.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
As little fuel as these little machines use, I've never bothered to set up a separate re fueling station, just a 5 gallon fuel jug now and then keeps both of my Kubota's happy. I do have some nice clean 55 gallon drums, but it'd take a LONG time to empty one out!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As little fuel as these little machines use, I've never bothered to set up a separate re fueling station, just a 5 gallon fuel jug now and then keeps both of my Kubota's happy. I do have some nice clean 55 gallon drums, but it'd take a LONG time to empty one out!
I use 75 to 100 Gallons over the winter, so having it on hand is so much easier.
When I started using diesels, I only kept about 5 gallons on hand, then one storm we got dumped on, just managed to get a one lane path out to the main road then had to get more fuel in a blizzard, Not fun!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
good number of folk want a fueling station NOT cause of wanting to store and large amount of fuel.... but becuase they can't lift the 5 gal jug up high enough to pour the fuel in ... and if they do..... they seem to spill 1/2 of fuel they want to get into the fuel tank.

If they make it large enough to buy fuel at cheaper price (off road fuel) at some place farther down the road at the same time.... then that is an added bonus is all.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
good number of folk want a fueling station NOT cause of wanting to store and large amount of fuel.... but becuase they can't lift the 5 gal jug up high enough to pour the fuel in ... and if they do..... they seem to spill 1/2 of fuel they want to get into the fuel tank.

If they make it large enough to buy fuel at cheaper price (off road fuel) at some place farther down the road at the same time.... then that is an added bonus is all.
That is my situation, on the north side of 3 score and 10. I did purchase a no spill can, but i still gotta get it up on my 3901. We can do it, but am just flat looking for an easier approach and i guess 55 drum first place to start.

Can place that on a pallet, then on trailer and head 4 miles north for pink fuel.

We are sitting on 56 hours, was delivered with full tank. Wish i would have kept track of fuel, will do from here on out. Am pretty sure we have used at least 15 more gallons. Good thread

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I'm a 5 gallon can guy as well. I got rid of the metal can and bought a bright yellow one at Walmart...about $14. I stick a kneeling pad up on the hood and use one of those pump-start siphons intended for filling kerosene heaters.
When I get to the age where I can't lift the can I'll get a pump....or let my younger wife do it.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
In Oregon you can get un taxed clear diesel if you fill out paperwork. Of course you need to put it in a container. Funny thing is the state never asks for nor checks the paperwork.

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
How do you go about this?
I went to the Oregon Department of Transportation "fuels tax" website, and it was not clear to me what I need to do.... Or if I was even in the correct place.
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/FTG/Pages/index.aspx

In Oregon you can get un taxed clear diesel if you fill out paperwork. Of course you need to put it in a container. Funny thing is the state never asks for nor checks the paperwork.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
It's paperwork at the station itself, not State. My guess is it would have to be a station that offers PUC pricing too. We predominately use one independent station, know the crew, and they told me. It's just a small sheet for contact info and gallons. Apparently the sheets just sit at the station in case of audit. I've got an above ground tank here so don't have to deal with cans in the truck.

Al2

Equipment
Kubota L4150 & L2900
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Part of this discussion is about bulk storage and part is about filling from a 5 gal container. As others have suggested, if you need bulk fuel storage , get a 200 gal tank or whatever and have the fuel truck fill it as needed. I'm guessing there are probably regulations about a fuel trailer behind a pickup truck plus the inconvenience. Re fueling from a 5 gal. can , get a Pocket Pump. Runs on 2 'D' batteries for about $30 or less. Possibly known by a different name in the States but they work.
http://www.pocketpump.ca/

Al

Last edited: