Shop lights

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
I have a few warehouses that I am trying to come up with some better lighting for. I currently have what I consider 2 traditional warehouse lights, as shown in the image below of the actual light fixture for a 1800 sf space.

We currently have two of these and about 15 of the double or quad 48" fluorescent lights that are daisy chained in series.

We are constantly trying to check for grease stains in fabrics in this shop, so the right color/type of light is important and I have not discovered what is the best type for that task. I see the LED light bars put on the ROPS on the forum and they look like they throw a lot of light. I have a 20 amp breaker that is dedicated to the two overhead lights currently. I am thinking I should add about 10 of the LED lights I see on here and it will light the place up like a football stadium.

The space I am describing is about 1800 sf, with 18' sidewall and 24' center roof height with a number of tall shelves in it, that can cast shadows. This area is my primary workspace.

I just added a 4000 sf warehouse I may be willing to redo with LED if it is saving me a lot of money on power. I think there are 8 or 10 of the traditional warehouse lights as shown above in that building as well with about a 28' center of ceiling and all shelving should be on the outer walls for now. This will mostly be used for storage and not trying to see exact shades of color in.

TIA!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I use just 175 watt LED flood lights in a standard A base fixture, they are daylight as I do wood stains and paints and need to know the color.

I have 14 and running all of them is like running a 40 watt regular bulb, saves me a ton.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Sam's club has the cheapest 4' LED shop lights, $36 per, if it hasn't gon up, lately. I really like'm cause they don't attract bugs, and work in the cold...:D:D

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
My shop ceiling is only 10 foot high and I used floodlights in it when it was built and this year I replaced all of them with LED bulbs. I almost need sunglasses when I work in there now

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
Thank you both. NIWM, the bulbs I see out there are pretty costly, like $110 ballpark, does that sound about right? When you say "daylight" is that a color/tone I should be looking for in my LED description?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thank you both. NIWM, the bulbs I see out there are pretty costly, like $110 ballpark, does that sound about right? When you say "daylight" is that a color/tone I should be looking for in my LED description?
Take DiyDave's advice ....those lights at Sam's are simple and effective, and cheap....and COLD has ZERO effect!!! Sunlight bright and sunlight .....light!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lowes:
120watt 5000K
http://www.lowes.com/pd_592650-3-79088___?productId=50225189&pl=1&Ntt=led+bulbs

Home Depot:
100watt 5000k
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-100W-Equivalent-Daylight-5000K-PAR38-Dimmable-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-435016/205213868

5000k is the color for daylights. ;)
Sorry I was wrong before mine are 120watt
It's hard to get a sense from a picture how bright they are, but they are blinding.

Another great option is more, of the cheaper, less wattage bulbs.
I use 65watt bulbs in another place with great results too.
And at $8 a bulb you can put a lot of those up!

HD:
65 watt 5000k
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-65W...-4-Pack-BBR30-06550FLF-12DE26-2U100/204369019

Attachments

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
chknscratch, the prices for LEDs are falling like fall leaves -- they are coming down, and are all over the place. You should consider the LED array fixtures like the shop lights Diydave suggested, and you should shop around, especially on fleaBay.

Unless you have to check for grease stains in every part of your shop, I suggest lighting the place(s) where color and brightness are critical with lower-hanging fixtures, in the 5000k color (referred to as "sunlight") and light the rest of the shop with whatever is least expensive -- currently "warm white" and "cool white" are the lowest I've seen.

The cost of the LED bulbs that fit existing fixtures is still pretty high, making LED fixtures pretty attractive for long-term economy.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
North Idaho Wolfman;169698 HD: 65 watt 5000k [URL said:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-65W-Equivalent-Daylight-5000K-BR30-Dimmable-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-BBR30-06550FLF-12DE26-2U100/204369019[/URL]

WATCH HD, I picked up 20 of these just before Christmas for $0.97 each. :eek: :D :D

They are now back to ten something.:(

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
Thanks everyone for some much advice thus far(and links).

We are a linen business, so we are constantly "spot checking" for grease in an area that is a couple hundred square feet and when we iron, we take it off and take one last look at the linen to make sure it is perfect and we like a lot of light over us in that area as well. Looks like we are buying the warehouses from the current owner and these projects now seem worthwhile, knowing we are settling in for a bit of a long haul.

Being 20' up over concrete makes my knees shake, but I am getting a forklift next week and saw a type of bucket similar to a bucket truck that the forks can lift to get me pretty high in the air. Hoping that will make this whole job easier.

Will try and update as I price out my best options. Considering motion sensors in some parts, like the freezer aisle at the grocery store.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
CS,

Not sure if you have a COSTCO nearby but, they have a deal on 48" LED fluorescent replacement bulbs. No need to replace the ballast. Swap and go. I think they are a two-pack for $30. I threw them in my workshop and the difference is amazing. Not quite as efficient as a full LED fixture without the ballast but still easy and bright. And no heat in summer.

Ray

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That might be the ticket, I have 4, T8 ballasts that went tits up this fall and they are like 23 bucks a piece, so when you pop these in you remove the ballasts from the crt?

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The FEIT bulbs from Costco run off the ballast so they can be R&R bulbs.

If your ballasts are toasted, get the bulbs that run off 110v -which is the most efficient way.

For everyone considering fluorescent replacement LEDs NOTE:

LEDs only emit light in one direction, unlike fluorescent bulbs. The better bulbs have indexing contactors at each end to make sure they will clip into your fixture with the light path facing down. The cheapies don't have this adjustable feature and getting them pointed can be a royal pain. Avoid bulbs that don't adjust.

Ray

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I don't know about your area, but around here, many of the power companies sell discounted energy efficient lighting to their customers or offer rebates to use at local stores. Some will come in and do an energy audit and actually pay to upgrade your lighting if you qualify.

Ugly

Equipment
BX22 with Fel and grapple,deck,front blower,backhoe, push blade, sweeper, plow
Dec 28, 2015
Elysian, MN
I have to agree with BAP, check with your power company about rebates and incentives. After being an electrician for 16 years you need a light set up for your buildings aisle layout and ceiling height taken into great considerations, it will make or break a lighting project. You have a very high ceiling so you are going to need some kind of highbay style fixture to get the lumens down to the floor or working table height. Also consider the color or the light which can make things look a different shade than they are, just like looking a some cars in the shade versus the sun! Good luck on brightening you day!! Aaron

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I was about to pull the trigger on an ebay 30 pack of 18 Watt T8 LED 5000k bulbs to put in all my fixtures, that I just installed last year. I will reach out to the power company tomorrow to see if they have any incentives. Right now, I drop the lights about 8' down to a height of something around 12 or 14' on average. I have read that the milky glass is more comfortable for workers not to make direct eye contact with the led bulb/node.

I will keep the post updated as I figure this all out and try and take a couple before and after pics. Thanks guys!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Had a lighting issue in my storage building,use it for a few jobs when my hoist is tied up or something long term that i dont want to tie up hoist. So i came up with mobile project lighting. IMG_2979.jpg i beams i got a deal on,a couple (free) flourescents and a set of casters. Power cord was given to me, buddy didnt have any use for it,so i welded the box to the left post and routed wiring up and over. Great to hang stuff on for painting too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Had a lighting issue in my storage building,use it for a few jobs when my hoist is tied up or something long term that i dont want to tie up hoist. So i came up with mobile project lighting. View attachment 30690 i beams i got a deal on,a couple (free) flourescents and a set of casters. Power cord was given to me, buddy didnt have any use for it,so i welded the box to the left post and routed wiring up and over. Great to hang stuff on for painting too.
Your shop lights are built better than most peoples engine lifts! ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The i beams are used for decking semi-trailers. They are a little light to lift an engine but im sure its good for 200 lbs, 12 feet across. Got beams for $5 apiece. A good friend works at the rolling mill,deals come up.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
A couple years ago we replaced the lights in our ice arena, we removed 36 400 watt metal halyde for 36 4' led's. Not only did we improved the lighting immensely but lowered our hydro cost a bunch. If your in business for the long haul you might want to talk to your energy supplier for some advise, cheaper isn't always better in the long run. Just my 5 cents ( we no longer have pennies up here) Barry