Shipping wheel weights - a question

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
I have a pair of original, ~70 lb Kubota cast iron wheel weights from my 1979 B7100. Another forum member is interested in buying them, but lives in CA (I'm in MD).
He has looked into the typical shipping options, but as expected, the costs are sky high.
Can someone suggest an alternate / uncommon shipping method for me to explore? Grainger apparently does not offer coast to coast service, and I just found out that Greyhound ceased their shipping operations last year.
All ears...

Andreas

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Could try fastenal.

Or could try one of those shipping sites where hot shots bid on loads. If someones already heading that way it could be reasonable but don't get your hopes up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
choochoo train like Amtrak ??

someone hauling a car to CA ?

what's 'sky high' cost ??

if he wants OEM weights, gotta PAY for shipping.....

the other 'orange' site has 'shipping subsite', stuff gets hauled a->b->c->d, may take awhile but usually free and safe.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
choochoo train like Amtrak ??

someone hauling a car to CA ?

what's 'sky high' cost ??

if he wants OEM weights, gotta PAY for shipping.....

the other 'orange' site has 'shipping subsite', stuff gets hauled a->b->c->d, may take awhile but usually free and safe.
I’m not familiar with “the other orange site”?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Actually, I meant Fastenal (instead of Grainger).

Andreas
Fastenal doesn't ship coast to coast. They split the country in half and only ship to the half that the load originates at. They also don't take small packages, and everything has to be strapped to a pallet. Most likely they will charge dimensional weight instead of actual weight, and that will make it much more expensive. I don't see East Coast to West Coast shipping as a viable option for something that is very commonly available at a somewhat reasonable price vs buying inexpensively on the East Coast and shipping it to the West Coast. Had you posted this last week I had a friend that could have taken it cross country reasonable in his SUV since he drove from California to PA to go to a car show and is presently on his way back to California.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you find something reasonable way to ship please post it. I have a set of 6 or 8 weights I was going to use on my L4240, but went another direction. They've been on a pallet for a couple of years, makimg sure it doesn't blow away!! ;)

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Some garden tractor fans use USPS flat rate boxes, I believe the maximum diameter is 12" and maximum weight is 70 pounds. If there is some chance that your weights would fit, that is the way to go. I briefly looked at some Kubota weights that would fit.

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
Well, amazingly, the two Kubota wheel weights are on a truck headed from MD to CA. The buyer was able to find a private shipper who happened to be headed to my neck of the woods.
All I can say is, it was an extremely pleasant transaction, for both parties, and the shipper was very thorough on communication. Hopefully the buyer will check in here and echo my thoughts.

Andreas

Reactions: 1 user

FCrowell

Equipment
B6100, K008-3
Aug 13, 2023
Santa Cruz, CA
I am the buyer of the wheel weights and this was quite the experience. I ended up finding the shipper through Uship. The seller was absolutely fantastic to work with. The shipper has been great and consistently communicates. Hopefully this experience will help someone else at some point.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Very cool,,, but what if I may ask was the price tag to ship them?

FCrowell

Equipment
B6100, K008-3
Aug 13, 2023
Santa Cruz, CA
Very cool,,, but what if I may ask was the price tag to ship them?
It was definitely not cheap, but I really wanted the original Kubota weights, which I would imagine are significantly higher quality than the new ones made today. The total shipping cost with the extra fees was $325 coast to coast. The cheapest commercial currier I could find was UPS or FedEx and if the package would weigh no more than 150lbs it was $285. This of course makes for a lot of hassle for the seller, and it was significantly more expensive to ship separately. Every other currier I found either did not ship coast to coast or had a 50lb weight limit. I looked at everything that was suggested and going through Uship and working with a private shipper was the way to go for me. Where I am at these tractors are not common to come across and it just was what it was. Shipping has just gotten so expensive these days.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
325 thats not cheap, but probbly a lot less just in fuel had you gone to pick them up. I love a happy ending :)

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah - - I'm with skeets - - not cheap, but what's the alternative?

You order new ones online...pay shipping...

You order from local dealer....likely pay shipping...

Sounds like you did okay and got what you wanted. (y)