Shimming pressure release valve

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Tooljunkie, you're 100% correct. You need adequate counterweight/ballast and a skilled operator especially for increased loads.

My current hydraulic pressure will lift the back of my machine if I don't have a counterweight...and headed downhill I have had the rear come up multiple times...though fortunately my mower deck provides me "training wheels" to stabilize the tractor if it tips a little.

For novice tractor users, or people with less mechanical ability (or just less desire to live life on the edge), keep your pressure stock or at whatever pressure Kubota sets it to.

I personally prefer to add a counterweight and shim my pressure to lift bigger loads rather than spend thousands to buy a tractor a "little" larger that will lift that extra 100-200lbs when I need it.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Every brand of machine sets there's up a little different. I think Kubota goes a little lean on the pressure-therefore reducing wear and tear on everything. The downside is that you get a little less work done. Maybe this is part of the reason that they last so long? Crank up the pressure and run it hard and I don't think it will last so long.
Don't get me wrong, I am of the opinion that a machine should be able to pick the front end up, and the frame and bucket should be designed and engineered to do so. Cat has a reputation for having a lot of power in there loaders, but the frames are a lot beefier than a Terrex or Hough, they are also a lot more money. This gets back to the less pressure, lighter duty frame, cheaper components. You get what you pay for, and if I end up tweaking mine up a bit, I except the ramifications of my actions.

Shadow123

Nov 27, 2015
Grande prairie,Alberta, canada
I raised the pressure to 2000#, no indication of that causing a problem. I have a BX25 and they only have the one relief at the rear, no FEL relief. Really made a difference on lifting loads both front and rear. You have to be aware that the heavier load on the FEL Bucket makes the tractor more unstable when load is above about pickup bved height. If you need to go higher with anny load do not lift till your travel is over and you are on fairly level ground. The extra load capacity does not change this safety item just makes it more critical. I know the hoses and fittings are good for 3000# and the positive displacement pump should be OK.

Who has gone beyond 2000# and what has been the experience?

Ron
I am new here and looking for similar info. When everyone says they re-shimmed the relief valve, does this mean you added to the original shims that were in there or replaced the original with a larger one. I'm planning on reshimming as well just want to clarify this before I attempt it.

Last edited:

c.schulz

Equipment
BX2660 w/ back hoe, grapple, mower
Jun 28, 2011
Ortonville,MI
Adding shims to mine helped quite a bit. Its not like night and day(It is a small tractor) but it did help.
For every .1mm of shim it gives you about 39psi. The shims from Kubota come in .1, .2 and .4 mm. Dont remember what I added to mine but I did take it up to 2000psi. I will worn you that it took a little of a leaning curve to use the FEL again because the FEL became much more sensitive in movement(quicker).
I dont know of anyone that has taken the pressure over this 2000 point but Id like to know if there is someone out there that has?
Part numbers.
31351-37970 = .1mm
31351-37960 = .2mm
31351-37950 = .4mm

Oh another suggestion Im putting to use this winter are strut bars from FEL to grille support. Saw it in a posting once and thought Id give it a try. Start at post #24
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/134652-bx-christmas-present-3.html

Chris

Last edited:

183King

Equipment
Bx1500 w/ FEL, MMM and PTO Bagger
Jan 5, 2016
MA, USA
Tooljunkie, you're 100% correct. You need adequate counterweight/ballast and a skilled operator especially for increased loads.

My current hydraulic pressure will lift the back of my machine if I don't have a counterweight...and headed downhill I have had the rear come up multiple times...though fortunately my mower deck provides me "training wheels" to stabilize the tractor if it tips a little.

For novice tractor users, or people with less mechanical ability (or just less desire to live life on the edge), keep your pressure stock or at whatever pressure Kubota sets it to.

I personally prefer to add a counterweight and shim my pressure to lift bigger loads rather than spend thousands to buy a tractor a "little" larger that will lift that extra 100-200lbs when I need it.

BillDog I don't think the mowing deck should be used as stabilizers over time you will bend the deck, linkage or wheels working likes. I've done it and it sucks.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
183King, I agree 100% on the mower deck comment. I have since sold my B9200 and upgraded to a L3710. I have had the back of the 3710 off the ground several times as well, but I haven't tipped it like I used to with the B9200. I was wayyyy too comfortable with the B, overloading it daily, bending rims, etc. I'm more cautious with the L so far, partially because we're talking 6000lbs not 2000lbs....and also because I don't know the limits just yet.

I am looking forward to shimming the L soon, though I will have to pick up a counter weight soon as well because I can get the rear light with a good load on the forks as it is...I'll check my pressure and report back where mine is to start.