Shattered rear lower window

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
Need help, bush hogging with my B3350 all was well, pretty bad terrain sink holes bad wash-out, tractor was working great all of a sudden I drop off a small hill and rear wheels went into a sink hole, the bush hog came up and the top link on my 3 point lift shuttered my rear lower glass window, I have been driving tractors all my live have been in 10 times worst areas than this, first compact tractor I have every owned, really don't know what I did wrong, but I need to learn how to prevent it from happen again maybe a set of safety chains? So it will limit the travel any help will be appreciated

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
can you upload a picture of that? - like to see the physics behind that. Did anything come loose? Break?

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
Try to get a PIC tomorrow, window is on order I was surprise just $92 for the glass, I have already put a piece of carbord in window temporary, no nothing broke nothing came loose I had the bush hog adjusted good had it about 4 inched above the grass when on level ground, I have never had anything like this to happen to me

Last edited:

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
I wonder if a a quick hitch would prevent this from happen in the further

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I wonder if a a quick hitch would prevent this from happen in the further
May I ask how you think a QH can change relationship of centerlink to cab window? All I can think of is with QH attached rotary mower will a little farther from tractor but centerlink will be same distance from tractor.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Does the geometry of your 3 point hitch with the bush hog attached allow you to raise the 3 point high enough to hit the rear window with the top link? If so there is nothing to prevent the center link from hitting the rear window when on rough ground. The 3 point hitch exerts no downward force on an implement until you reach the end of travel as the implement is allowed to float up.

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
Correct on the QH I was thinking the same thing last night, will not prevent it from happen again but still thinking about getting one, thanks for the reply

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
Yes all is good on level ground 3 point lift in up position you still have plenty of clearance but when I went down the step grade forward and when the tractor was level then the grade of the slope push the implement tail end up very high, that push the top link into the rear window, I don't understand why the pivot link on the Bush hog didn't let the 3 point hitch pivot so it wouldn't hit the glass? Moral of story don't go down step grade, i am use to driving big tractors, a 3 foot grade on a big tractor is nothing but the same 3 foot grade in a small tractor is twice the travel I guess, I just wasn't thinking , I think I will just have to be more careful. Still looking at the possibility of putting a set of safety chains from the draw bar to the lower lift arm making sure I have plenty of slack when travel is fully in up position, just a thought, one thing I have learned the word compact tractor mean Compart, I was used to large tractors, no problem live and learn

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I suspect it is the pivot link on the bush hog that allows the top link to hit the window. If you use a quick hitch, it would likely eliminate the problem because the top link from the tractor would be fixed and couldn't flex into the window like it did.

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
I was thinking the same, I will try a QH I have always wanted one, also I am going to modifie my bush hog and put a chain on the Bush hog rear brace's so it will have two pivot point on the 3 point hitch, when I am backing up and going down a step very slope it will have more travel distance to pivot thank for all the help.

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
I use a chain instead of a top link on my B2320 with 4 ft. King Kutter brush hog, to allow cutter to raise up in the same situation as OP & not get in a bind. Still allows cutter to be raised for transport.

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
Thanks for all the good advice, I think I will rig up a chain instead of the top link, if made me sick to see my new B3350 with a broken glass, I see that the B3350 has been getting bad reviews on here, so far my B3350 is great, I was in 4 high bushes that had not been cut in 5 years, I was running a 5ft squller Bush hog, it was doing a great job till i droveoff a step hill and into a sink hole, again thanks for all the good advice.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I suspect it is the pivot link on the bush hog that allows the top link to hit the window. If you use a quick hitch, it would likely eliminate the problem because the top link from the tractor would be fixed and couldn't flex into the window like it did.
What you state is determined on brand of cutter & what type center link attachment pivot is on cutter. If Myb3350 cutter has a center link attachment similar to clevis(key 15 1st photo) then yes center link can move up closer or into window. BUT this type cutter will require modification by removing clevis to accept a quick hitch.

IF pivot is behind center link attachment point of cutter then when rear of cutter is raised the geometry of center link will remain constant therefore adding quick hitch won't alter movement center link any different than if center link was attached directly to cutter.

Attachments

Last edited:

Myb3350

Equipment
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
I have a bush hog brand it is just like one in the picture, it has a swivel pivot just like like the one in the picture, the problem it the bush hog is pretty big (high) and i think the travel bottom-out on it when i drop into the sink hole and it hit the window, (even with the swivel link it exceed the travel) i am going to cut the rear braces left and right side #18 in the picture and installed a chain about 12 inches long are so on both sides that way no matter how high the slope is the bush hog 3 point hitch will fold and pivot and not let the top link go into the window i have seen lots of Bush Hogs with this set up i think that will fix my problem and be more careful , i will have the factory swivel and a set of chains so the complete point hitch will fold back onto itself kinda like a double system proof lol (small tractors and large equipment don't go together)

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Yes adding chains to braces(key 18) should solve your glass breakage problem by center link.

VictimOfCaliforniaDems

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3350
Jul 6, 2017
Northern CA CalifornUtopia USA
2017 B3350. Rear window shattered from cylinder strike three days ago. I guess we will weld a bar to stop it in the future. Pepe did not report an event which may have caused this. Seems the geometry should prevent it as stated by others. I don't mention the implement because I don't know how it would matter. I may be incorrect, of course.

Attachments

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Looks like you have a hydraulic top link, could it be that the difference in the size could have made it possible for it to hit the bottom edge of the window?