Sharpening Brush Hog

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I was told by my Kubota dealer to also not bring them to a sharp point but rather leave the edge rounded off like a #2 pencil. If you put a sharp edge on it, then it will get beat up and ruined going through heave stuff, saplings, stumps, ant mounds (my favorite)etc...

I have not looked at removing them from my Woods brush hog, but need to get on them this spring. I may try leaning it against a tree and hitting it with an angle grinder

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Take the blades off and sharpen them with a flap disc on a 7” grinder.

I have tried to take the blades off with no success. Asked the Kubota guy how they did it and he said they just tilted it and used a hand grinder so that is the way I did it. It would be nice to get those blades off, may do the heat and impact deal if I have some spare time. I was afraid I did not get them sharp enough but according to the other poster I think I got them just right.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I was told by my Kubota dealer to also not bring them to a sharp point but rather leave the edge rounded off like a #2 pencil. If you put a sharp edge on it, then it will get beat up and ruined going through heave stuff, saplings, stumps, ant mounds (my favorite)etc...

I have not looked at removing them from my Woods brush hog, but need to get on them this spring. I may try leaning it against a tree and hitting it with an angle grinder
If you get them sharp like a lawn mower blade, it can cut sapling off and they will be sharp enough to puncture a tire. A blunt edge will “shatter” the stump so it won’t be sharp.

I have heard that woods blades are easy to remove. It’s a small bolt through a retaining clip which hold the “blade bolt” in.

I have tried to sharpen blades while on the cutter and i can’t get the grinder in a satisfactory position to really sharpen them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Next time you are at the dealer, Tractor Supply, or similar place take a look at a new blade and sharpen it similarly. ;)

Nothing like seeing it first hand.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Believe it or not.....crawling under and getting it done is about the only answer!!!
Getting those nuts off requires a butt load of torque and I tried many years ago! 1 1/4 socket and a 8' cheater bar!!!!! Nuttin!

Make sure the cutter is in a safe situation and get a 4" grinder and hit those edges......
and as others have said.....sharp IS a bad thing......you want a dull edge across, unless grass is THE ONLY thing being cut, which is not often the case, a dull even edge will cut up "stuff" and not leave sharp edges on branches and IF you hit a rock, it will not take a huge chunk out of the blade.;)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
How do you sharpen the bladesign on your brush hog?
Unlike most, I keep the blades on all 4 of my rough cut mowers sharp lake a lawn mower. Cut is better, mower takes less HP and tractors use less fuel.

Yes, my ground is clean and I do not hit rocks, dirt, etc., or cut saplings.

I simply reach under the raised mowers with a 4.5" angle grinder. When installing new blades, I sharpen before installation. I touch up blades after each use.

Sharp blades are not recommended if cutting saplings as cleanly cut saplings are much more likely to puncture tires than are saplings shattered with dull blades.

SDT

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To remove the blades there is normally a hole with a cover on top of the deck. Take off cover and rotate by hand the blades or stump jumper until you see the nut.

Get a (3/4 drive) heavy wall socket and extension and a breaker bar. See if you can get them loose by hand. If not then rig a small come along to the three point structure on the mower and the breaker bar and make sure you have it turning the correct direction to loosen the nut. Break it loose with the come-along.

Or go to Northern Tool and order the torque multiplier for around 250 dollars and use that. You can use that along with a torque wrench to replace the blades and torque the nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If those nuts are on there, that bloody tight,,, they are going to stay on there, that bloody tight

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I take mine off with an impact. In the past I have used Heat and Kroll oil to get em loose the first time. I also use anti-seize compound when I put em back on.

markchief

Mar 26, 2017
East Windsor CT USA
How do you sharpen the bladesign on your brush hog?
I pick it up with the FEL, grinder the rough stuff off, then sharpen with die grinder & 40 grit pads for grass,etc. For heavy cutting (brush up to 3") just the grinder. If that stick in the picture slips, we'll assume you quit the forum!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
The ones on my Hog were frozen. It took several days of applying 50/50 acetone/ATF mixture and hitting it with an impact gun till they gave up and came off.