Shallow Water Well Pump

DavyW

Equipment
BX2370, Z422 and L2501
Aug 29, 2016
Newport, NC, USA
I know this does not pertain to tractors but is it farm related... I just installed a shallow well to keep my farm pond full and I am using a Harbor Fright 1 hp Shallow Well Pump. I live in coastal NC and after driving the well I have plenty of water pressure with the pump... The problem or possible problem is the operating temperature of the pump.. When running I have about 8 gallon per minute flow with 50 psi and after running for 10 minutes the motor temp increased to 130 degrees before I shut if off.... Is the 130 normal? What is the normal operating temp for this type of pump? I do not want to ruin the motor but it seems like everything is fine on the water supply side. Thanks...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Seems like you would be fine with the motor reaching 130°. Does it have a temperature guage?? Or are you using an IR thermometer?

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I know this does not pertain to tractors but is it farm related... I just installed a shallow well to keep my farm pond full and I am using a Harbor Fright 1 hp Shallow Well Pump. I live in coastal NC and after driving the well I have plenty of water pressure with the pump... The problem or possible problem is the operating temperature of the pump.. When running I have about 8 gallon per minute flow with 50 psi and after running for 10 minutes the motor temp increased to 130 degrees before I shut if off.... Is the 130 normal? What is the normal operating temp for this type of pump? I do not want to ruin the motor but it seems like everything is fine on the water supply side. Thanks...
130 degrees fahrenheit is normal, if it continues to get hotter you should reduce the load by throttling the amount of water pumped. Also check the voltage while it is pumping, low voltage will increase the amperage causing more heat.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I am using a IR termometer... also, where should I check the voltage?
Find a place near the motor, possibly in the pressure switch. Don't check it a long distance away since there is always voltage drop over distance.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I am using a IR termometer... also, where should I check the voltage?
You want to check the Amperage of the pump while running. Then compare to the name plate on the motor/pump to see how it's operating. Under amps<good over Un-good

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Most pumps will draw at least 10 amps, so you need 14/2 or bigger wire, separate 15A circuit.
Hope it's better built than 'Red Lion' brand pumps. Though a USA company, made in China KRAP. Broke the closed loop on a spring on the centrifugal switch ! Pump is maybe 2 years old (super clean). In 50 years NEVER ever had ANY motor do that... NO help from Red Lion.. $350 pump has gone back to China as scrap.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, but 1/2 the price ! You can buy 2 (or more ,if on sale) and have a spare AND a backup....for what the 'RL' cost

looked at hf unit 1hp /tank.... NO centrifugal switch or caps....,diffenet style motor...last forever.

has for the motor heat. wrap a coil of copper tubing tight to the motor case,plumb into the water line ,it'll help keep motor cool

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Most pumps will draw at least 10 amps, so you need 14/2 or bigger wire, separate 15A circuit.
Hope it's better built than 'Red Lion' brand pumps. Though a USA company, made in China KRAP. Broke the closed loop on a spring on the centrifugal switch ! Pump is maybe 2 years old (super clean). In 50 years NEVER ever had ANY motor do that... NO help from Red Lion.. $350 pump has gone back to China as scrap.
Buy made in USA!
GOULDS pumps ..... !!!!!
Have used them for MANY years!