Securing your equipment

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
Calculating the minimum number of Tie-Downs depends on the cargo length, cargo weight and cargo type. The sum of the working load limits from all Tie-Downs must be at least 50% of the weight of the cargo.

So, your equipment weighs 7800lbs, would transport g70 1//4 inch rated at 3150lbs on each corner work? Or am I miss understand and it’s 50 percent for each tie down which would require at least a 5/16 chain?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well, I'm probably in violation. I haul my M9 and 105 on my goose neck once in a while and I use one Grade 80 chain in the front (with a clevis fastened through the lower weight bracket and 2 ratchet binders, one on each side and 1 Grade 80 chain through another clevis attached to the drawbar again with a ratchet binder on each side. Lock the brakes and lower the bucket to the deck and put another chain over the bucket, this time with 1 ratchet binder.

Never been stopped and been passed by a few motor carrier officers as well as going through the weigh stations, which I'm required to do here in Michigan with DOT numbers on the truck.

Do I know it's back there, sure do, the 105 weighs 10K and the 9 weighs 8500

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Here in MI its 50% of the load. So each chain/strap only has to secure a percentage of that 50%. So a 2000 pound load only needs 1000 pounds of securement. 2 tie downs must be rated at a working limit of 500 pounds.

Just an example.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most places also require a strap or chain on every implement too, a Loader and a Backhoe are considered Implements also.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you did it legal in GA. a tractor with loader would require 5 chains and binders. One on each corner and one over the bucket.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Most places also require a strap or chain on every implement too, a Loader and a Backhoe are considered Implements also.
When I haul either, I put the loader bucket against the step on the GN.

When I haul the my old boss' Case Extenda Hoe, I'll boom the hoe out and lay it down on the beavertail and put a chain over the business end. In reality it's not recommended to haul a hoe in the raised position anyway. It just fits....lol

I never use straps, always chains. Straps are for hauling hay and lumber and stuff without sharp edges. We have those too in 1.5" and 3".

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Here in MI its 50% of the load. So each chain/strap only has to secure a percentage of that 50%. So a 2000 pound load only needs 1000 pounds of securement. 2 tie downs must be rated at a working limit of 500 pounds.

Just an example.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
No tie down's for me. I use the pipe ends that the rub rails are welded to and the pipe ends are welded to the trailer side rail. I think after hauling steel for 30 years on a Michigan 11 axle I know about securing a load properly. Never lost a load or had a load shift in 30 years of dealing with idiot Michigan drivers.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
No tie down's for me. I use the pipe ends that the rub rails are welded to and the pipe ends are welded to the trailer side rail. I think after hauling steel for 30 years on a Michigan 11 axle I know about securing a load properly. Never lost a load or had a load shift in 30 years of dealing with idiot Michigan drivers.
Hope you don't think I was calling you out... I was simply presenting MI's law in regards to tie down capacity in relation to the load. Reading your post, its sounds like you're in compliance..

The only time I go to corners instead of using a single chain on either end is when I need the tie down capacity. D8 and/or a 345 are quite heavy.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hope you don't think I was calling you out... I was simply presenting MI's law in regards to tie down capacity in relation to the load. Reading your post, its sounds like you're in compliance..

The only time I go to corners instead of using a single chain on either end is when I need the tie down capacity. D8 and/or a 345 are quite heavy.
Far as being in compliance, I'm close enough and no I took no offense at all. In fact I have the complete unabridged version of the Motor Carriers Regulations laying here and it includes all the regs for proper securement of load on commercial trailers. You see, the last 5 years of my employment in the industry, I was 'promoted' to thr safety and compliance officer for the company I worked for, a private carrier with over 75 trucks and trailers, hauling steel.

I know what they are and I can direct quote from them if need be.

Thanks JJ Keller....lol

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Far as being in compliance, I'm close enough and no I took no offense at all. In fact I have the complete unabridged version of the Motor Carriers Regulations laying here and it includes all the regs for proper securement of load on commercial trailers. You see, the last 5 years of my employment in the industry, I was 'promoted' to thr safety and compliance officer for the company I worked for, a private carrier with over 75 trucks and trailers, hauling steel.

I know what they are and I can direct quote from them if need be.

Thanks JJ Keller....lol
I'm still getting the feeling that youre under the impression that I'm attacking you. You're being far to defensive for someone that doesn't feel like they are having their knowledge questioned. Which, by the way, again, wasn't my intention. My initial post related specifically to the OPs question using MI as the point of context. I wasn't even thinking about replying specifically to an individuals comments.

Was there something factually inaccurate about my initial post? I kept it simple because your average Joe isnt going to be concerned with, or be held to, the motor carriers regulations.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Shaun643

Equipment
2018 B2650. RCR1860. BB1260. LR1672. RB1672. QH15
Jan 25, 2019
Peck, MI
If the load is under 10,001lbs you only need 2 straps or chains one on front and one on back. If your not hauling commercially the laws are a little different. You only need two chains or straps. As far as what kind I would just buy your self some 1/2" grade 80 chains and you will be fine. You could get away with less but 1/2" are good to have. Also with using two chains or straps just for example a chain good for 3000lbs going from the deck of the trailer over the machine is now only good for 1500lbs.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm still getting the feeling that youre under the impression that I'm attacking you. You're being far to defensive for someone that doesn't feel like they are having their knowledge questioned. Which, by the way, again, wasn't my intention. My initial post related specifically to the OPs question using MI as the point of context. I wasn't even thinking about replying specifically to an individuals comments.

Was there something factually inaccurate about my initial post? I kept it simple because your average Joe isnt going to be concerned with, or be held to, the motor carriers regulations.

Not at all. I fall under the Motor Carriers securement rules because I have DOT numbers on my pickup truck. I'm over the 20K break point that differentiates commercial from non commercial trucks in Michigan. I haul farm produce (hay in round bales) to customers as well as a tractor once in a while and as such I have to be in compliance with applicable laws and cross weigh scales, which I do plus I'm subject to DOT inspections and I must keep an hours of service record and have a CDL. No big deal. Have a Class A with all endorsements but Haz-Mat and School Bus. At least in my case, electronic logs aren't required. Finally, under Michigan intra state transportation I don't need a bi yearly DOT physical. I can 'self certify' that I'm physically capable and the State accepts that. Now, if I ran Interstate (which I don't) the ballgame changes.

I prefer to be in compliance with State and Federal regulations, makes for less grief, especially where I'm located, between I75, US23 and M50, all patrolled by motor carrier offices regularly.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Not at all. I fall under the Motor Carriers securement rules because I have DOT numbers on my pickup truck. I'm over the 20K break point that differentiates commercial from non commercial trucks in Michigan. I haul farm produce (hay in round bales) to customers as well as a tractor once in a while and as such I have to be in compliance with applicable laws and cross weigh scales, which I do plus I'm subject to DOT inspections and I must keep an hours of service record and have a CDL. No big deal. Have a Class A with all endorsements but Haz-Mat and School Bus. At least in my case, electronic logs aren't required. Finally, under Michigan intra state transportation I don't need a bi yearly DOT physical. I can 'self certify' that I'm physically capable and the State accepts that. Now, if I ran Interstate (which I don't) the ballgame changes.

I prefer to be in compliance with State and Federal regulations, makes for less grief, especially where I'm located, between I75, US23 and M50, all patrolled by motor carrier offices regularly.
That's great.

But has 0 to do with the OPs question and my answer. Assuming he's not a "for hire" hauler.

I too have a class A with everything minus hazmat and doubles. I'm a stickler for safety and usually go over on load securement, within reason. Locking down a D8 and staying within the rules can be challenging. But I've never lost a load and never had to go in for a post accident screen. Granted I don't drive near as much as I used to, but I'm not a stranger to weigh/inspection stations up to and including your local, friendly weigh master. I've had my CDL for almost 25 years. Been on the road in one form or another for 20? But I dont miss it. As you said, idiot drivers make the job a chore.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
State laws are different but if you want a good amount of general information I'd watch these videos. They might not directly apply in your state but it'll give you an idea. Also as these videos reiterate staying within the laws of commercial trucks is best because if you could pass those inspections you can defiantly pass the non commercial inspection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sEtxC9QLiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epCMfIYWtqU