Second thoughts on a BH

Martin092009

Equipment
MX5800
Jun 17, 2017
Georgetown, KY
I recently ordered a MX5800 w/ FEL and BH because I needed to do a bunch of digging for a house we are building. I just found out today that the BH subframe is on back order until the end of July. I'm going to pick up the tractor and loader on Monday and I'm considering just telling them to cancel the BH because I'm going to have to rent equipment or hire the work out to get it done. Most of the work will need to be completed before the Frame is available. I had a M5660 that I sold to get the MX5800 so I'm familiar with Kubota, I just don't know if I'm crazy to cancel the BH. Thoughts?

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
If you have a use for it doing other things on your property later down the road or after house is built. I would get it. I like having mine and could not do without it now. Plus you may had built into the financing also, Might be tougher to order it later if that's the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
Something else to think about. If you're doing loader work, your gonna need some weight back there.

Martin092009

Equipment
MX5800
Jun 17, 2017
Georgetown, KY
Something else to think about. If you're doing loader work, your gonna need some weight back there.

I will have fluid in the rear tires so I'm not worried about the weight. I think I will probably still go ahead with it, but it is frustrating that it takes them over 6 weeks to get the subframe in.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I will have fluid in the rear tires so I'm not worried about the weight. I think I will probably still go ahead with it, but it is frustrating that it takes them over 6 weeks to get the subframe in.
I agree it is frustrating having to wait. What I have heard from my local dealer is that tractor and attachment sales have been so great this year that Kubota has been having a hard time keeping up with orders. Normally, there is plenty of tractors and attachments in their system that there is little wait time. I have heard other manufacturers are experiencing similar issues.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I would still get it. If you don't, you'll be sure to find multiple uses for it down the road and will be kicking yourself in the rear for not getting it.
A year and a half ago I decided against a BX25D and went with a BX2670 because I figured I'd have no use for the backhoe. A little over a year later I ended up trading it for the BX23S because of all of the projects where a backhoe would save me time and money.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I also use me backhoe almost as much as the loader. Spent two days just digging stumps early this spring. That two days saved me two months if you had to do it by hand!

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Fluid in the tires isn't enough. I've had the rears coming off the ground even with the rears filled and the backhoe on. Without the backhoe on I have the disk or HD bush hog on if I'm doing loader work.

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
A local rental store around me rents mini excavators for $200 bucks a weekend on a trailer. Only reason I didn't look at a BH. Figure the amount of times I'd need to dig some holes and stumps the rental cost would be way less than the cost of a back hoe. And save on storage places for one. Only my thoughts everyone has their different needs.

Martin092009

Equipment
MX5800
Jun 17, 2017
Georgetown, KY
A local rental store around me rents mini excavators for $200 bucks a weekend on a trailer. Only reason I didn't look at a BH. Figure the amount of times I'd need to dig some holes and stumps the rental cost would be way less than the cost of a back hoe. And save on storage places for one. Only my thoughts everyone has their different needs.
Wow that would be a great deal. The rental places around me don't offer any deals like that one! I actually picked up the MX5800 with the FEL today and the backhoe subframe should arrive in a few weeks. I'll post pictures of the tractor tomorrow.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Fluid in the tires is helpful but the best thing is a true 3 point weight whether it be a ballast box or heavy implement. A 3 point weight takes the strain off of the front axle and helps steering while filled tires actually add weight to the front end.

Martin092009

Equipment
MX5800
Jun 17, 2017
Georgetown, KY
Fluid in the tires is helpful but the best thing is a true 3 point weight whether it be a ballast box or heavy implement. A 3 point weight takes the strain off of the front axle and helps steering while filled tires actually add weight to the front end.
I think I might look into a ballast box for doing loader work unless the BH is really difficult to take off.

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Fluid in the tires isn't enough. I've had the rears coming off the ground even with the rears filled and the backhoe on. Without the backhoe on I have the disk or HD bush hog on if I'm doing loader work.
I agree, I always have something hooked up when I'm using the loader.

You will always wish you had bought the backhoe, it is surprising how many uses I find for mine!

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
It would have been pretty hard for the BH 77 that was on the L3901 I had to bust the lateral roots, dig up, and lift out this twin stump. I would just save the money for a backhoe and get a mini ex. And it's nice to be able to use the 3 point without the BH on there.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I AGREE with this, been there done that.
I use the BH ALOT more than i thought i would.
I`m VERY glad i went the extra for the backhoe.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I recently ordered a MX5800 w/ FEL and BH because I needed to do a bunch of digging for a house we are building. I just found out today that the BH subframe is on back order until the end of July. I'm going to pick up the tractor and loader on Monday and I'm considering just telling them to cancel the BH because I'm going to have to rent equipment or hire the work out to get it done. Most of the work will need to be completed before the Frame is available. I had a M5660 that I sold to get the MX5800 so I'm familiar with Kubota, I just don't know if I'm crazy to cancel the BH. Thoughts?
DONT CANCEL if you can help it, you`ll be ALOT happier having a BH.
You`ll use it more than you think.

Martin092009

Equipment
MX5800
Jun 17, 2017
Georgetown, KY
DONT CANCEL if you can help it, you`ll be ALOT happier having a BH.
You`ll use it more than you think.
I didn't cancel the BH. I was able to pick up the tractor and put it to work until the subframe comes in. Below is a picture of my dad putting it to work pulling the 15ft landpride batwing!