Scraper hydraulics not working

tims

Equipment
9540 L48
Feb 26, 2013
DeMotte In
We are running a brand new 3 yard Rowse 300 dirt scraper, on our M9540. Does a good job, but the hydraulics seem to run intermitent, and now, not at all. The front end loader and the lift arms work so it seems the tractor hydaulics are good. Fluid is full. When we try to get the bucket on the scraper to move, sometimes it will move a few inches and sometime it will shudder like something is holding it. Right now it is a little less than full with black loam. Any suggestions?

Thnx
Tim961

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Try a different cylinder on the same remote setup, if it works then you got a bad seal in the cylinder.

tims

Equipment
9540 L48
Feb 26, 2013
DeMotte In
We got it going again, but the problem seems to accur when we go clear to the end of the load/dump cycle.

Thnx
Tim961

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Just fishing with my questions trying to understand what could be going on.
From the manufacturer's web site, the hydraulic set up looks ultra simple. Two double acting cylinders working together like a loader bucket.
Do you have more than one remote valve and if so does it act the same on either valve?
Does the valve you are using have a "float" position and do you understand what the float position does?
If the hoses are long enough and you don't have a second remote valve, I would be tempted to disconnect the quick couplers for the bucket on your loader and connect the Reese there to see if it worked any better.
If you have two or more remote valves is the other one(s) in use?
Weird things can happen if a second remote is calling for pressure at the same time or is stuck open say in a float position.
Looking forward to your reply.
Dave M7040

tims

Equipment
9540 L48
Feb 26, 2013
DeMotte In
There are 2 sets of remotes and have tried it on both. Got it to going, but staying away from full hyd cylinder extention, and it seems to work OK. Vaguely understand float position.

thnx
Tims961

tims

Equipment
9540 L48
Feb 26, 2013
DeMotte In
still having problems. Could it be something in the remote spool,or something else in there? that is what we are leaning towards.any thoughts or insight to try or look for?

thnx

Tims

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Get it to where it does not work, and check the fluid levels. As you cycle through implements, it is easy to deplete the reservoir without realizing you are doing it... I found if I head down a STEEP slope I would lose hydraulics to my FEL. I put in an extra gallon; problem solved.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
The problem description continues by the original Poster...

There are 2 sets of remotes and have tried it on both. Got it to going, but staying away from full hyd cylinder extention, and it seems to work OK. Vaguely understand float position.

End problem description.

I wonder if by 'full hyd cylinder extention' the writer is indicating he is trying to obtain full cylinder rod extension by pushing the control lever 'up' into the 'float' position trying to increase cycle speed or move the cylinder rod further? Does the control 'snap' or 'lock' at one end of its travel?

Combined with his observation that he is vague on using the float position this seems likely. Thanks to Dave_Eng for recognizing the possibility.

If this is the problem, try using the hydraulic valve control handle 'up' until it 'almost' locks into float position.

Another possibility might be the rod is overextending past a stop. Take a close look at the entire assembly.

Otherwise, it's time to get help troubleshooting from the manufacturer and/or dealer.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

tims

Equipment
9540 L48
Feb 26, 2013
DeMotte In
Long time since. Ended up replaceing the ball type hydraulic hose ends with the ones with the point on the end of the ball and took care of the problem. thnx Tims