Safety Switches?

DaveDelux

Equipment
B2601
May 31, 2021
Malabar FL
My neighbors just bought a brand new, beautiful L3302 with some nice attachments. Since I'm the only one they know with tractor experience, they asked me to go over it with them, giving pointer and such.
I really loved the tractor and I'm jealous, but I did see a few basic things that I wanted to talk to the experts about. The main thing was that I noticed that you can start the tractor when you are off the seat and the tractor is in gear. Is this normal? Next, I noticed that the top link hits the top link hook when fully raised They have a QH16 QuickHitch . Should this be adjusted to the side?
Everything else made sense.
Thanks in advance,
Dave.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dave - - is this an HST or manual/gear transmission?

If HST, they will start while "in gear," but will not start if the forward/reverse pedal is not centered to a neutral position to prevent the tractor's movement. I can start my HST BX tractor with the range selector "in gear" without being in the seat. Your B2601 should be the same.

If it's geared, does tractor move when trying to start?

I would think there's clutch safety switch, or other mechanism that should prevent starting and allowing the tractor to immediately move when the engine fires up.

Not familiar with these modern geared transmissions. Is it a glide or shuttle shift? There must be something in neutral to allow it to start without leaping forward/reverse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DaveDelux

Equipment
B2601
May 31, 2021
Malabar FL
Dave - - is this an HST or manual/gear transmission?

If HST, they will start while "in gear," but will not start if the forward/reverse pedal is not centered to a neutral position to prevent the tractor's movement. I can start my HST BX tractor with the range selector "in gear" without being in the seat. Your B2601 should be the same.

If it's geared, does tractor move when trying to start?

I would think there's clutch safety switch, or other mechanism that should prevent starting and allowing the tractor to immediately move when the engine fires up.

Not familiar with these modern geared transmissions. Is it a glide or shuttle shift? There must be something in neutral to allow it to start without leaping forward/reverse.
Thanks for the quick reply.
It's an HST. I'm looking through the manual now, but since I see a seat switch, what does not being on the seat prevent?

EDIT: I think I found it in the manual, of the PTO is engaged, it will shut off the tractor if the operator gets off the seat.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It's an HST. I'm looking through the manual now, but since I see a seat switch, what does not being on the seat prevent?

EDIT: I think I found it in the manual, of the PTO is engaged, it will shut off the tractor if the operator gets off the seat.
Dave - - you should be able to start your B2601 while standing beside it,

I very seldom start my BX while in the seat.

As long as F/R pedal is centered and the PTO is out of gear, it should start.

Try it. (y) ;)

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny

Try it. (y) ;)
I can start my gear drive L2501 standing next to it. The range selector has to be in neutral and PTO off, gear shift in gear, clutch position or seat make no difference.

Bill

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

Correct on the PTO. If you want to use the PTO while out of the seat (chipper, generator, pump, etc.) you have to flip the seat forward and lock the brakes before engaging the PTO.

Other thing the seat switch does is you can’t move the tractor if you’re not in the seat. You can start/run it without being in the seat but if you move the HST pedal to move forward or back, it kills the engine.

DaveDelux

Equipment
B2601
May 31, 2021
Malabar FL

Try it. (y) ;)
It works just like you said, thanks!

DaveDelux

Equipment
B2601
May 31, 2021
Malabar FL
I can start my gear drive L2501 standing next to it. The range selector has to be in neutral and PTO off, gear shift in gear, clutch position or seat make no difference.

Bill
My experience is with a smaller tractor, I guess when you step up to a bigger one, they figure you know what you're doing. :)
Thanks!

DaveDelux

Equipment
B2601
May 31, 2021
Malabar FL
Correct on the PTO. If you want to use the PTO while out of the seat (chipper, generator, pump, etc.) you have to flip the seat forward and lock the brakes before engaging the PTO.

Other thing the seat switch does is you can’t move the tractor if you’re not in the seat. You can start/run it without being in the seat but if you move the HST pedal to move forward or back, it kills the engine.
Ah, that makes sense!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I see a seat switch, what does not being on the seat prevent?

You from standing up while going forward to 'adjust' your pants........
and...
you standing up to look over to get loader just right to lift something.....

just don't get me started about 'allergy season' and trying to drive forward on 'high pollen' count' days !!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: I see a seat switch, what does not being on the seat prevent?

You from standing up while going forward to 'adjust' your pants........
and...
you standing up to look over to get loader just right to lift something.....

just don't get me started about 'allergy season' and trying to drive forward on 'high pollen' count' days !!
It is VERY simple to bypass a seat switch,........... to make tractoring practical!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I know it’s a bit of an unpopular opinion, but having spent many of my pre-Kubota tractor operating hours on old machines with all safeties removed (if they ever had any) and then spending about 33 years dealing with agricultural accidents as a part of my career, I kind of like the safety switches on both my L and T. I have lost count of how many old men (yes, it was always old men) who started a CUT sized tractor that had no operational safeties, or those safeties were being bypassed, from the ground and ran over themselves when the tractor started in gear. Not hundreds, but more than a dozen I dealt with in three decades. If you have less than a couple inches between you and the rear tire and it starts in gear it jumps forward shockingly quickly. Then one of two things happen: 1) It knocks you down but doesn’t immediately pin you; 2) It knocks you down and has one of your feet pinned by the time you hit the ground. I’ve seen scenario 2 with just a lower leg crush involving men and women with a wide variety of ages. The “started at the feet and rolled out everything head to toe” crowd was always old men. I guess the old guys couldn’t roll out of the way quick enough after they got knocked down. I don’t know why no old women other than maybe they age out of messing with tractors.

I start mine from the ground from the right side, where I can reach over and start it without standing in front of the rear tire. From the left side, I at least stand on the step. My arm isn’t long enough to reach the key switch from the left side without being in front of the rear wheel if I’m standing on the ground.

For the reasons stated by @GreensvilleJay, I also dislike the seat switch on the L, which leaves me sometimes wanting it and sometimes not. Thus I have an intermittent override on the L’s seat switch to allow for temporary over ride to allow operating while standing, which is a quite useful thing to do in some situations. Using forks for precise things near the ground, like picking up a pallet, would be quite difficult if you couldn’t stand up while slowly driving forward.

I like all the safeties on the T. The “can’t reverse with blades engaged” is mildly irritating but they built in an override and you only have to engage it once per every time you engage the blades, not every time you back up, so I can live with that one.

As with many things, YMMV.

Last edited: