Safety, ROPS, and Rollovers

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
There have been several recent threads on safety, ROPS and rollovers. I thought I would start a new thread instead of only posting to only one of the recent threads. I Googled “tractor accident statistics”, below are some excerpts and links from the internet sites that came up. All the sites start with tractor rollovers, ROPS, and seatbelts. If you read any of the information on these sites, you should have a better understanding of why the ROPS is so important. It may also motivate all of us to make better use of the seat belt.

Fatalities
• In 2012, 374 farmers and farm workers died from a work-related injury, resulting in a fatality rate of 20.2 deaths per 100,000 workers. Tractor overturns were the leading cause of death for these farmers and farm workers.
• The most effective way to prevent tractor overturn deaths is the use of a Roll-Over Protective Structure (ROPS). In 2012, 59% of tractors used on farms in the US were equipped with ROPS. If ROPS were placed on all tractors used on US farms manufactured since the mid-1960’s, the prevalence of ROPS-equipped tractors could be increased to over 80%.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/aginjury/

General Statistics of Farm Accidents
According to "Accident Facts " these are the statistics for farms:
• Tractor accidents on farms cause the highest number of fatalities with tractor overturns accounting for 44 percent of all tractor fatalities.
http://ehs.okstate.edu/training/oshafarm.htm

FARM SAFETY NEWSLETTER
Workers over the age of 65 do not have an excessive number of injuries, but the likelihood of an injury being fatal is the greatest. Two-thirds of the fatalities in the over-65 age group were tractor-related. Because of the seriousness of machinery-related accidents, many injuries result in permanent disabilities, such as the loss of an arm, leg, fingers or toes. More than 75% of injuries require surgery or antibiotic treatment, or both.
https://njaes.rutgers.edu/farmsafety/news/FARMSAFETYNEWS902.pdf

Tractor Rollover Accidents: Causes and Prevention
Rollover accidents occur faster than our human capacity for reaction. In a backwards tip, for example, the tractor engine powers the tractor to rotate about the rear axle. The tractor can overturn in less than a second -- too quickly for the operator to react. To protect against rollover accidents, it is essential that the tractor be equipped with a rollover protective structure (ROPS) and a seat belt. ROPS are roll bars or roll cages designed to create a protective zone around the operator when a rollover occurs. The ROPS and seat belt together prevent more than 99% of all rollover accidental deaths and serious injuries. The seat belt will keep the operator within the safe zone created by the ROPS, eliminating all serious injury potential.
https://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_...+Rollover+Accidents+Causes+and+Prevention.htm

Larry

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Thanks!

I was already a believer, having had a near-miss the first time I actually put my Kub to work (and I did not have my seat belt fastened).

One issue I have with the statistics is the inclusion of deaths in farm work-related injuries (20%) when discussing benefits or wisdom of installing/using ROPS. 40% of the 20% of farm work-related deaths arbitrated to tractor overturns is a staggering 8.8%.

Of course, it is human nature (so I've heard -- I'm an Irishman, so what do I know?) to discount dangers with such low percentages so I appreciate the inclination to bury that ratio. And while I vehemently disparage those who would "spin" data and statistics, I vociferously encourage everyone who has a ROPS to fasten their seat belt; and I encourage everyone who does not have a ROPS to install one post-haste!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Good thing it was a near miss according to the "Farm Safety Newsletter" us old guys may only have one accident.

Larry

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Problem I'm running into as far as getting a rops is mines a grey market :rolleyes: only one that i've found is a chintzy model and not sure if it's actually safe. And you need a serial number in order to purchase one from kubota :rolleyes:

Had a friend go through the tractor safety program put on by the ag counsel back in school. Parents were dairy farmers and made all there kids go through it. Said it was a real eye opener. They gave the kids the class then had them roll a tractor in a closed setting evaluating that they did the proper procedures that they learned in class.
It is important in a roll over to try and cut the motor off if you can. Newer models it's a matter of switching the key off. More important is to keep your body inside the rops. That means seat belt fastened. Also if you are going over, make sure and grip the steering wheel and lean away from the impact. It helps keep your body where it should be and your limbs out of danger from being crushed or worse ;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yeah, I have to BUILD two of them for the other two tractors I use. My D-17 and my brothers Oliver 1265. I realize they won't be 'rated' but something is better than nothing! It'll give both of them sun shades too...