Sad News

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
bryers.jpg

SAD NEWS DEPT: Breyer’s, America’s favorite ice cream, is no longer ice cream. It now legally has to be called Frozen Dessert, as it is 50% air and has only a tiny percentage of actual milk or cream. The replacement ingredient is, of course, corn syrup, wood cellulose, and ethylene glycol for ‘smoothness’ which is also why it doesn't melt.
Don’t believe this label, what they mean is that the TINY amount of milk/cream is graded A. Outright lie.
When Ünilever bought it, after removing the expensive stuff like real sugar and cream, said that they were making a smoother, lighter texture than real ice cream. Ya. AIR.
Why Breyers frozen dessert products and McDonald's soft serves do not melt.
Among the other emulsifiers and stabilizers, both of them use cellulose gum, another word for a derivative from woodpulp. Yes, you're eating wood cellulose, which is indigestible and partly why both Bryers and McDonald's frozen desserts can induce diarrhea.
Cellulose gum is another name for the cellulose derivative Carboxymethyl cellulose - Wikipedia (CMC), which is made from wood pulp

Reactions: 1 user

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
The OP's post is misleading in that it would have you believe Breyers no longer makes ice cream. A little Googling and you'll find Breyers still makes ice cream in addition to the "frozen dairy dessert." Read the package, make your choice.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
View attachment 128457

SAD NEWS DEPT: Breyer’s, America’s favorite ice cream, is no longer ice cream. It now legally has to be called Frozen Dessert, as it is 50% air and has only a tiny percentage of actual milk or cream. The replacement ingredient is, of course, corn syrup, wood cellulose, and ethylene glycol for ‘smoothness’ which is also why it doesn't melt.
Don’t believe this label, what they mean is that the TINY amount of milk/cream is graded A. Outright lie.
When Ünilever bought it, after removing the expensive stuff like real sugar and cream, said that they were making a smoother, lighter texture than real ice cream. Ya. AIR.
Why Breyers frozen dessert products and McDonald's soft serves do not melt.
Among the other emulsifiers and stabilizers, both of them use cellulose gum, another word for a derivative from woodpulp. Yes, you're eating wood cellulose, which is indigestible and partly why both Bryers and McDonald's frozen desserts can induce diarrhea.
Cellulose gum is another name for the cellulose derivative Carboxymethyl cellulose - Wikipedia (CMC), which is made from wood pulp
I note that the words "Ice Cream" are missing from the labeling on that package of "Frozen Desert".
They are deceptively packaging that product to LOOK LIKE ice cream.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I wanted to know the difference and this is what is stated on their website:

What is a Frozen Dairy Dessert?
Frozen Dairy Dessert products are made with many of the same high-quality ingredients that are commonly found in Ice Cream – like fresh milk, cream and sugar – and offer a great taste and even smoother texture. According to the FDA, in order for a product to be labeled ice cream, it needs to meet two key requirements:

• Not less than 10% dairy fat
  • A percentage of overrun that results in a finished product weighing more than 4.5 pounds per gallon

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Surely not ethylene glycol.
I think they meant propylene glycol as ethylene glycol is poisonous. I picked up a gallon of it at TSC in Orlando area and found it in the animal feed section. I needed it for my radiant heating in my shop. It is also used in heating systems such as snow melting where a leak can go into the environment. Nontoxic.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not the first misleading post.

• Dislike

fenderbender

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23s
Feb 29, 2016
TOCCOA. GA
Dairy Queen is the same way. It can't be called ice cream either. Had a boxer bulldog that would not eat either one. I guess he could smell the difference.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Ah well, the fan favorite Ben and Jerry's - hippie ice cream phase lasted for a couple decades... It has fizzled out and died. I thought at first that it was a "go woke and go broke" issue. But the internet says that it's a simple UK corporate decision to be done with ice cream hippies.

Premium ice cream brands are hurting too. I don't eat Dove bars, but my wife does. And she says that the bars get smaller in size every year.

Yeah, just the ice cream bars, not me. ;) .

Thanks for the heads up @DustyRusty, I'm not into eating wood.

But I had a girlfriend once back in college... Amazing....

Never mind.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
You could make it yourself. Used to do that every weekend in the summer when I was a kid and again when our kid was in the house. Haven’t done it in a while. It’s so simple even a kitchen klutz such as myself can pull it off. Using a base recipe you can add variety by adding fruit or other flavorings as you see fit.

Apparently you can still get the traditional rock salt and ice bucket or something a bit fancier (and maybe easier to set up and break down?).

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You could make it yourself. Used to do that every weekend in the summer when I was a kid and again when our kid was in the house. Haven’t done it in a while. It’s so simple even a kitchen klutz such as myself can pull it off. Using a base recipe you can add variety by adding fruit or other flavorings as you see fit.

Apparently you can still get the traditional rock salt and ice bucket or something a bit fancier (and maybe easier to set up and break down?).
When I was in (small) grade school,...one day,.... when we had snow on the ground, (to pack as ice) the principal would have the 8th grade boys churn ice cream, for us all to to enjoy after our school lunch.
It was always a very exciting day.