Running is to problems

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
My steering box turned out to be home made out of a stock worm gear reducing box. I found a used steering box and bought rebuild parts except for the column because I already had the column. Which is lucky because I couldn't find a used column. Took apart the old steering system last night to prep for the install of correct parts. But I noticed that the steering column has been cut short at the top. There is about 5.5" from the end of the column to the end of the steering rod. Does anyone think this might b e a problem? Can I use it that way? or is there some unforseen issue I might have.

Also, my steering wheel has no spline or anything. The only thing that was holding it to the stem was a cotter pin. Anyone know a source for a used steering wheel?

As it turns out, the worm gear reducing box is actually in preety good shape. Nearly all of the play in my steering was likely because of the cotter pin attachment method.

Drained the transmission fluid and found that one of my filter screens was torn off of the bolt. Doh! A new one is on order.

Attachments

Greg

Equipment
B7100 HST-D 4x4 with FEL, PTO and 3 pt hitch
Dec 7, 2009
Putnam County, NY
Steering issues are now solved, thanks for help Vic. My brand new steering wheel is on the way to me for $104 including freight. And I found a used steering column as part of a complete steering box on Ebay. $70.00 including freight. So I think I made out pretty well, and I will have a back up extra steering box.

It seems to me that the steering on these older tractors are a weak link in their otherwise bulletproof design. So, I'm going to hold on to the extra steering box that i will now own.

Last edited: