Running 5' tiller

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Sorry in advance I'm sure this has been asked before but the search function is not allowing me to type. I recently purchased a l3000dt with a kk 5' tiller. How long can you run one of these without damage? Just wondering because my neighbor wants me to plow and till a 2 acre pumpkin patch for him and I'm not sure if this machine or implement is built for that kind of use. I'd greatly appreciate the advice. And thanks for helping kick me in butt to buy this machine too. Thanks

Edit are these tractors built for running all day hard. Like running a 2 bottom plow for 8 hrs. I just don't have a way to move my big equipment or want to without hrs of loading / unloading and permits

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Run the tractor hard, all day long. As long as you aren't bogging it down or overheating, its OK. The KK tiller should be fine for a couple of acres. Is it the gear drive, or chain drive? Either way, your biggest worry should be wearing down or breaking the tines. Go out and have a good time. But do keep up with the maintenance, and don't let your grease gun feel lonely.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check the air filter, oil, and water level daily, and grease tractor and implement daily too.

Don't run it out of fuel, they are a pain to get going after you do that.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Check the air filter, oil, and water level daily, and grease tractor and implement daily too.

Don't run it out of fuel, they are a pain to get going after you do that.
Yeah I just did oil / filter using rotella synthetic , replaced the air filter and fuel filter. I had to crack all injectors twice to get it going. It is the gear drive model. I went through a tube and half of grease on tractor, loader and tiller

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Make sure the front af the radiator is clean before you start. It takes just a small amount of dirt to make it heat up higher than normal. I have never had it over heat but I guess it would if the guages weren't watched.

If it was mine I would drain the antifreeze and flush the system with clean water then refill with new coolant.

Kubota also offers a dual element air filter kit for that tractor. Might be something to look at in the future, especially if you are planning on doing lots of plowing and tilling.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have never had to take a injector line loose to get the tractor cranked back. Simply open the round knob at the pump and crank the engine over a couple of times. Normally it will fire right up, then close the knob back and go to work.

As far as working goes the little L3000 is what you would expect from Kubota, it will handle about everything you throw at it. The one thing I have found about mine is it will run hot in the summer if I use fuel conditioner. Other than that just hammer down, it will take it.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Yeah I was waiting on my manuals to do the coolant flush. I didn't know what coolant type to use or how much to buy. As far as bleeding the lines my 1838 case skid loader has a 55hp Kubota In it and it has a little lift pump with priming lever on it. I found the lift pump but no lever on the side of??

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I used prestone 50/50 premix in mine and it has been fine. I believe it holds a little under 2 gallons.

Next time you think about it look on the injector pump where the fuel lone comes from the filter and hooks to the pump. It should have a small round knob there. When you need to change the filter or run out of fuel you can fully open (CCW I think) the knob and crank the engine over. From my experience with my 3000 it will turn over a few times and fire right up. After it cranks simple tighten the knob back down and it's ready to run.

From what I can see when the knob is open it pulls a vacuum on the fuel line and pulls the fuel to the pump. I may have to do it the next time I service mine but knock on wood I have never had to crack open a injector line since I bought mine new in 2000. Hope this helps.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Yeah thanks for the advice. I just went back to basics when it puttered out. Crank and crack ........ Until it starts. Where did you find that dual filter element. I googled it and couldn't find a place that sold them. Do you just use the basic green then. I know some things need the gold stuff??

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The dual element filter is a factory option from Kubota. I can't remember what I paid but having a dual element is worth every penny. It's a bolt on kit, simply take the old filter box off and the new one bolt right back in it's place.

This is the numbers off the box it came in:

32330-98401

L8349 DBL ELE AIR CL

Anti-freeze, I use either the Green 50% mix or the Red 50% extended life coolant. Just make sure whatever you use says it's safe for all cooling systems and you'll be fine.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I think Bulldog posted about the dual element filter before. Anyway, someone did. I checked my L3200, and it has the capability, but did not have the 2nd filter installed - it is an option! about $15 for the 2nd filter; it is about 2" diameter and fits inside the regular 4" filter. Since in my neck of the woods the tractor lives in dust, I went ahead and got it. $$ well spent. The regular filter still does the work, but if something happens to it, the 2nd saves your butt.
Enjoy your tractor!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The L3000 doesn't use a radial seal type filter from the factory. The optional kit changes it over to one like what say a 3010 has.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Thanks I appreciate the help. I'm a big maintenance guy so I will be finding this system and installing it. I believe there is a difference in using your equipment fully and beating the hell out of it until it breaks. I looked for a drain on radiator. Couldn't find one so I assume I'll be taking off lower hose. Has anyone installed the block heater?? I bought this tractor from my old neighbor in ga and it didn't have one. But here in Indiana we had some -40 windchill days and I want it to run when needed. I plan on buying the factory Kubota block heater

I cannot for the life of me find this part for sale. I've searched part number and can't find it for sale anywhere. I'll call dealership mOnday. If anyone has a source for the dual filter I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The radiator drain if I remember correctly is on the lower right side (rear side) just above the front axle. Seems like it was a 10mm head on a plastic bolt.

I'm by no means against a block heater but these tractors will crank very well in cold weather. I have started mine (just to see if it would) without glow plugs at -11F.

Maybe your dealer can help you with the air filter. It's listed in the owners manual as a factory option if that helps. Keep us posted with your progress.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Thanks again. My owners and service manual will be in in a week or so. I know my little ford diesel 1998 gt75 will not even think of starting when's it's below zero and it doesn't have a block heater. In fact nothing but the case skid loader with the Kubota 4 banger starts without being plugged in. I just didn't wanna put new coolant in and then have to replace a freeze plug with block heater this winter. Thanks for all the help everyone.