RTV instrument panel trouble

orangefan15

Equipment
RTV-X1100C, B2301, LA435 Fel, 60"mmm
Oct 23, 2021
Guntersville, Alabama
I am new to this site, so please excuse me if this is the wrong place for this question.
I have a 2015 RTV X1100-C and I am having problems with the digital instrument panel.
It started with the speedometer and odometer not working so i replaced the sensor on the trans
and that did not help now the fuel gauge is stuck on a half a tank. The back light and hour meter still works
Any information will be appreciated.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Without seeing the panel...
I'd carefully clean each pin of the connectors involved, also look to be sure the pins are properly crimped to thie wires. Also look at the sockets (female side) to be sure there's a tight connection made when the connectors are joined.
If there's a connector soldered onto the inst panel, it is possible that some of the pins are no longer properly solder/secured to the PCB. That is a common failure, in all wave soldered PCBs.
You also need an accurate schematic to follow which wires go where. Though unlikley, there may be a separate fuse for some of the functions of that panel.
As it sounds like a 'gradually got bad' situation, it may be a 'bad ground'. Possibly a corroded ground wire, allows a little current through or not full voltage.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the harness plugs into the back of the panel as I remember.

So you have ruled out the sensor. That leaves (1) wiring/fuse, (2) the meter assembly itself or (3) a problem with the gear that the speed sensor reads off of. With that, dig up your workshop manual, get into the wiring diagram and look at where the wires go, and what they go through. If nothing is cut, damaged, broken that you can visibly see, grab your DVOM and test each wire for continuity between the meter and the sensor. If the wiring is good, and your sensor is good (which is probably is) and the gear is spinning inside the trans, then it's most likely going to be a meter problem. I haven't seen it but I've run into a bunch of rodent damaged wiring....

fuel gauge may be a different issue. Or it may be related to the meter assembly/speedometer problem. Again same deal you will test the sending unit itself to verify it actually works, use your DVOM to test per the workshop manual. If it's good, then you get to test the wires between the sending unit and the meter assembly, much the same as testing between the meter and speed sensor. Good? Your meter is probably bad.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
my 2014 digital dash started showing warning lights for things not even installed, turn signals and some other but can't remember. Well I printed up schematics from the wsm, and both things were looking for a ground. Anyways, I pulled those corresponding wires from the dash connector, and they still stayed on. Something in the display went bad. My dealer ordered me a new one, I put it in and has been good since. Mine was still under warranty when it happened.

NWMT

Equipment
2014 RTV-X1100C, 2020 L6060, 2020 Z781KWTi-60
Jul 18, 2022
MT
my 2014 digital dash started showing warning lights for things not even installed, turn signals and some other but can't remember. Well I printed up schematics from the wsm, and both things were looking for a ground. Anyways, I pulled those corresponding wires from the dash connector, and they still stayed on. Something in the display went bad. My dealer ordered me a new one, I put it in and has been good since. Mine was still under warranty when it happened.
Thank you nbking, very helpful! I, too, have warning lights for things not installed like high beams and the center of the gauge went blank once a few months ago. I highly suspect it is the display, but haven't had time to confirm.

Do you recall if the hours & miles started at zero with the new display? Or, is this info stored in the ECM?

Thanks again

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Thank you nbking, very helpful! I, too, have warning lights for things not installed like high beams and the center of the gauge went blank once a few months ago. I highly suspect it is the display, but haven't had time to confirm.

Do you recall if the hours & miles started at zero with the new display? Or, is this info stored in the ECM?

Thanks again
The hours and miles will start at zero. The RTV-X1100 has no ECM.

NWMT

Equipment
2014 RTV-X1100C, 2020 L6060, 2020 Z781KWTi-60
Jul 18, 2022
MT
Thanks guys for the responses and info! Replaced the meter assembly ($334) and fixed the problems. And yep, the hours and miles reset to zero. Local techs were not aware of any procedure to program the new meter. I had them document the hours/miles on the invoice.

Take care,

Reactions: 1 user