Rotary Cutter

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey guys, looking at a 48' Woods rotary cutter for my BX25. How do I know if the PTO drive shaft is the right length to hook up to my machine?
You really will not know......until it is hooked up and lifted and lowered - no need to spin it:D

You might be able to find out asking others too.

If you have to CUT .....cut BOTH pieces off .... I can explain if needed

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DO NOT hook up the PTO shaft and raise and lower it until you have confirmed that it is short enough. ;)
If it's too long and you raise or lower it, it can drive the shaft right through the back of the tractor.
The last one I had to repair because of that cost the owner about $1500 in parts alone. :eek:

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Guys, school me here or point me in direction of a good animation of how a rotary cutter works.

The two blades spin 360 degrees overlapping each other?

Perhaps the pic attached will help explain what i mean. If they just spin with the unit they are attached to I dont understand how anything in the middle would get cut.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Guys, school me here or point me in direction of a good animation of how a rotary cutter works.

Perhaps the pic attached will help explain what i mean. If they just spin with the unit they are attached to I dont understand how anything in the middle would get cut.
AS the two spin.....they are forced out away from the stump jumper......the leading edge will cut (edge closest to you) and the rest will just cut stuff as it blows around.....

the front of your mower should be about 1/4" LOWER than the rear ....so the front is cutting and the rear is not cutting at the same plane.

THINK about how a weeder eater works:);)

Last edited:

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for the reply. However, need more info:

I do understand what you are saying and do know about the stance. But, I still dont get how something in the center gets cut. Say you are driving around your field - the brush that enters in the middle of the cutter...is it just bent over? So hard to explain what i mean.

For instance, in the picture above - where the two blades attach - that area in between i dont see how a blade would ever cut material in that area

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Thanks for the reply. However, need more info:

I do understand what you are saying and do know about the stance. But, I still dont get how something in the center gets cut. Say you are driving around your field - the brush that enters in the middle of the cutter...is it just bent over? So hard to explain what i mean.

For instance, in the picture above - where the two blades attach - that area in between i dont see how a blade would ever cut material in that area
Basically the same as any mower. As Hokie said, the blade is cutting in front of the stump jumper just as it would a spindle on a mower or a string on a weedeater.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
blessed jesus - i just seen the light. Feel like a dummy now. I must have thought it ran at 5-10RPM!

Thanks all for the schooling.
Light is a good thing.....dont feel bad! All of us have a "daaaaa" moment - and sometimes it happens more as we get a little older.....

what were we talking about again?;):)

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana

Also another reason for the pivots is so the blades can bounce off something too big to cut. Lets it keep spinning instead of jamming like a push mower would.

Ever hit a stump with a push mower? Imagine that X 50.