Rops was down or this guy might have been protected from a direct hit from this tree.

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
YIKES, he's lucky to be alive!

Guess they were not using a snatch block or the tree fell in a direction they were not expecting.

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
doesn't look like that big of a branch that landed on him...big enough certainly to knock him out, but the ROPS should have been able to taken the brunt of it...if it had been up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Working in trees requires operator to prepare for the unexpected. When that is not done the results are often called "a widow maker"!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
This is why you do not just use the FEL to 'push the tree' away from where you want it to go. You rope it off (as high on the tree as you can loop the rope) then with the tractor farther away than the tree will reach when it is on the ground. Apply tension and cut. If the tree starts to move, increase the tension. If you have to, use snatch blocks to change the angles.
I find the ROPS to be a pain in the butt but if I ever need it, all the times I'd of cussed it out, well lets just say the 'minor' bumps on my head from walking into it when folded have been worth it.
Glad to hear the guy is OK.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What many operators never consider is the loose or dead branch still lodged up in the tree somewhere that falls out when being pushed with the loader. It's not just what they see in front of them.

Or there's a brush pile that's been laying for a while. It gets moved around and some green branch snaps loose and go where no one thought they would/could while being pushed/loaded.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I learned years ago to view every tree or limb as a big potential spring with stored energy. Even 1 tree can provide an occasional surprise. Storm damaged trees can be tangled and provide all sorts of interesting challenges!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I had. Big oak leaning over house, used a snatch block, i was right beside tree as it was being cut. Could see when it was startung to move, as it started moving i hammered down and pulled it over. I was using my truck, had a roll bar on it.

I know many guys that cut wood for a living, be it pulpwood or firewood, widowmakers are a real and serious thing. Always look up.

A bad decision is felling another tree to knock down one that snagged a standing tree. Saw a guy snag about 6 trees. What a mess to leave in a cutting area.