ROPS lights stopped working...

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Sorry, I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything, so if this is redundant, and you can point me in the right direction, please do.

I was out snowblowing this morning, everything was working great, lots of light, blower chugging along, then when I went to turn for my next pass, my ROPS mounted lights stopped working. I figured I blew a fuse, so I simply continued with the stock tractor lights as I was about 80% done. After finishing up, I began to pull the fuses, started with the 'work lights' fuse, that was perfectly fine, checked the other lights fuse, also fine, then for giggles, I decided to pull all the rest and all of them were fine. Turned the tractor's key to the 'on' position, checked the lights again, and they fired right up, so.. now I'm very confused as to what may have happened? Has anyone experienced this, know what that may be, and/or should I be concerned about some type of electrical gremlin?

Also, can someone post a photo of the fuse pannel of a BX2380 (likely any BX23/26XX will do), as I can't seem to remember where the fuse puller "tool" fits inside - it was far too early for me to take a mental snapshot when I popped it out.

Thanks,
Greg

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Sounds like a loose wire/intermittent connection.
I also thought that could be the case, I have two sets which are wired individually, and both went out at the same time - I did check where I wired them in at, and don't see anything that looks like a loose wire. I am not an electrician, so I could be overlooking something, but it all passes the sniff test. I would also wonder why a loose connection would suddenly start working again, after pulling the fuses? They did not work before I pulled them, but then started to work after pulling all the fuses out..

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Could it be some sort of 'internal over heat protection' ?

Sort of like a "thermal switch".

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. ROPS lights..
factory/dealer wired up or someone else ?
power from where ? connector in back left by 3PH ?

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
hmm.. ROPS lights..
factory/dealer wired up or someone else ?
power from where ? connector in back left by 3PH ?
Not factory, no, I purchased them from (https://www.ropslights.com/) and installed them last winter, using the connector you have referenced, to the left of the 3PH. They worked perfectly fine last winter, spring, summer, and fall (some night work here and there).

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, bullet connectors not tight enough, BTDT.

Remove, add heatshink, reinstall, confirm good, then slide heatshrink over and shrink.

That's on my todo list....

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine

Remove, add heatshink, reinstall, confirm good, then slide heatshrink over and shrink.

Sounds like I have a project for today, thanks for the insight.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don't recall the issue, but while back I was in the fusebox of my BX2360.

Fusebox was filthy with dust. Blew it out with air.

Location seemed to lend to collecting crud. Rest of area under dash not as dirty. Of course the fan is near it, pulling air forward through radiator.

Maybe just a bad connection at the fuse itself, rectified by pulling/re-seating fuse?

Just a thought.

Last edited:

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine

I went ahead and pulled apart the installation I had performed last year, and did find two connections loose... one on the red wire of one light, and one of the black light of the other.. I pulled the bullet connectors off and added a standard two way heat-shrink connector (at least I think that's what its called) and things seem okay again. If I have this happen again, I'll be using some better connectors (waterproof) for the next go-round. Thanks again for the suggestion!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My light bar works intermittently too. It is a direct connection to the battery with a relay and switch. Turns out the rocker switch is either bad or loose. I need to remove the wiring harness shrink wrap and replace or tighten the switch connections.