Root Ripper BXpanded

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
Curious how well the bxpanded root ripper works for digging or loosening dirt underneath stumps? The difficulty with using the hoe bucket for stumping is the limits in curling bucket and getting dirt loose under the stump and major roots. Anyone have input if this ripper tooth can curl under and poke and loosen dirt?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Curious how well the bxpanded root ripper works for digging or loosening dirt underneath stumps? The difficulty with using the hoe bucket for stumping is the limits in curling bucket and getting dirt loose under the stump and major roots. Anyone have input if this ripper tooth can curl under and poke and loosen dirt?
I love my ripper, but my machine and ripper are much larger, so I cannot offer specific information.
You will likely hear good things from BXpanded ripper owners soon.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I don't see any advantage to the ripper in your particular situation. The ripper shines when you need to chew threw roots that grow out away from the stump. Here in PA, we have these black gum trees that have a tap root to hell, and I cannot get them out with my ripper tooth no matter how hard or long I try.

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have the BX ripper on the BH77 hoe mounted on my B2650. It's a game changer when pulling stumps. It makes slicing through the roots so much easier!! And yes, it'll get underneath and between roots that the buket can't get through for pulling upwards on the stump. It allows all the force to be concentrated on the point or the serrated edge rather than spread out across a bucket full of dirt. So much less mess and dirt needs to be disturbed compared to using just a bucket on the hoe.

There's always limits to what the backhoe and ripper can do. But it will make much easier and quicker work of stumps that would and did make it a struggle for my backhoe with the bucket on!!

If you decide to get the ripper tooth....be sure to get the "quick change" attachment as well. That makes swapping between the bucket and tooth so easy.

Reactions: 2 users

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
I have the BX ripper on the BH77 hoe mounted on my B2650. It's a game changer when pulling stumps. It makes slicing through the roots so much easier!! And yes, it'll get underneath and between roots that the buket can't get through for pulling upwards on the stump. It allows all the force to be concentrated on the point or the serrated edge rather than spread out across a bucket full of dirt. So much less mess and dirt needs to be disturbed compared to using just a bucket on the hoe.

There's always limits to what the backhoe and ripper can do. But it will make much easier and quicker work of stumps that would and did make it a struggle for my backhoe with the bucket on!!

If you decide to get the ripper tooth....be sure to get the "quick change" attachment as well. That makes swapping between the bucket and tooth so easy.
Ok, yes this is the kind of info I am looking for. Yes, I know I have a BX and know it's limitations. I have dug a lot of stumps out up to 16-18" diameter and it takes a lot of time. One of the stumbling blocks on some stumps is getting the dirt out from under it. Actually I have used a power washer on some to loosen and blast dirt out from under but that is messy plus limited to water supply. It makes sense a narrow blade could be a definite advantage. I think I'm sold on it but really appreciate opinions of those who actually use one. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

+1. (y) 🍻

I did not want to type the exact same thing.

Ripper tooth VS. Bucket, on stumps, is a night and day difference.

I will add that I found that using only one outrigger and putting it down (and not using the other one "up position") will give you a fairly decent angle, and allow for "cutting under" the stump.

That has helped me out on more than one occasion.

Paul

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
+1. (y) 🍻

I did not want to type the exact same thing.

Ripper tooth VS. Bucket, on stumps, is a night and day difference.

I will add that I found that using only one outrigger and putting it down (and not using the other one "up position") will give you a fairly decent angle, and allow for "cutting under" the stump.

That has helped me out on more than one occasion.

Paul
"using only one outrigger and putting it down"..... "will give you a fairly decent angle".
BINGO !

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Our neighbors BXPANDED make some fine tooling that make scut swing way above their weight class. Best choice for BX machines. Made a special weld in Piranha bar for a worn out skidsteer bucket that’s awesome.

Couldn’t get them to make a ripper for the B26 so went another route. Yes a ripper makes a big difference working with stumps. With smaller machines takes time, moving, probing and patience. I like to trace out the larger roots and use them as a lever arm to break them off at the stump instead of trying to cut them. Helps loosen the root ball. Using the tree to help pop the root ball if you can.
IMG_2697.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't see any advantage to the ripper in your particular situation. The ripper shines when you need to chew threw roots that grow out away from the stump. Here in PA, we have these black gum trees that have a tap root to hell, and I cannot get them out with my ripper tooth no matter how hard or long I try.
What brand/length (25" plus?) ripper tooth are you using?

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
Our neighbors BXPANDED make some fine tooling that make scut swing way above their weight class. Best choice for BX machines. Made a special weld in Piranha bar for a worn out skidsteer bucket that’s awesome.

Couldn’t get them to make a ripper for the B26 so went another route. Yes a ripper makes a big difference working with stumps. With smaller machines takes time, moving, probing and patience. I like to trace out the larger roots and use them as a lever arm to break them off at the stump instead of trying to cut them. Helps loosen the root ball. Using the tree to help pop the root ball if you can.
View attachment 108092

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
That tooth ripper is definitely a game changer...lol. I've ordered the BXpanded ripper and should come in a week. Got about 7-8 stumps left to go. Wanting to speed up the process and with the positive comments I'm optimistic. Even small tools make a difference.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 108092
"I like to trace out the larger roots and use them as a lever arm to break them off at the stump instead of trying to cut them" .
Excellent method!