Rolled a L4701

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
An independent mech with a Kubota computer diagnostic is possible but unlikely. The machine is several thousand dollars and only recently becoming available.

Yes, you have a wrench job and a computer job. As far as the rental company, it is easier to let a dealer do the job because the work will be guaranteed. If the wrench and computer tasks are performed by separate entities, and something does not work, then the finger-pointing will begin.

One of your options is to let the rental company take care of it and pay the bill.

The other option would be to get a copy of the market value of the tractor (and these are available for cars, RV's, boats, construction equipment) and use this as a starting point for determining fair market value of the machine. Buy the machine, insure it against theft, fire, etc. Do the wrench part yourself. Take it over to the dealer and let them do the computer part. Sell it used through a dealer or broker or auction house.

Maybe there is a third option. But only you know your resources and time.
Diagmaster is only available to select Kubota dealers, no independents have it or will get it.

Most engine mechanical repairs have absolutely nothing to do with Diagmaster.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Branch82, you say this in your first post, "I'm being told by the rental company that it did at least twist/bend a rod."

Being told a rod is at least twisted or bent is only an opinion until the engine is disassembled enough to prove that statement. If the tractor was set upright, and the rental company was really knowledgeable and concerned with the tractor they would have removed a glow plug or an injector to clear any fluids from any cylinders. This would, in most cases, eliminated any bent rod or other damage.

I have the opinion this small company is going on hearsay and not facts.

You need to gather more information and, if you choose,post it here for a respectable opinion, or we're guessing also.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Branch, I think the best information so far has come from whitetiger and D2. Finding a competent tech is of course a challenge. The only other suggestion I have is go get a copy of a shop manual and see if working on this kind of engine is in your wheelhouse or not.

If someone on the forum has a pdf of an L4701 wsm please let the op know.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Branch82

Jun 28, 2019
North, Georgia
Thanks for the advice all.

I'll probably go to look at the tractor on Wednesday to both validate the rental companies story and simply to see how hard I think a DIY would be. I also called a few local kubota dealers. I'm getting the impression that they never rebuild/remanufacture. One was fairly helpful in discussing the situation and clarified why I'd needs a diag-tool (basically the DPF would need soot levels reset). He did make is seem like kubota dealers are pretty much always incentivized to replace vs re-man.

I did do some digging, you can definitely find v2403 engines re-manufactured online. I haven't seen the exact model though (I'm guessing some differences between skid-steers, tractors and other applications). There is even one new on ebay for <$5k.

Also digging into the parts, it does appear that kubota has parts for re-manufacture (larger pistons, rings, and crankshafts).

http://kpadweb.kubota.co.jp/kpad2/PartsInfo.do?bookCd=100K5255&funcCd=&figNo=&himban=&dispType=0

I pushed on the rental company today about the re-manufacture road (seems like unless a rod went through the block (which would be downright obvious....and I sure didn't hear THAT), that this would be the right path.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Branch -

Just so you know, whitetiger and lugbolt both work on these everyday....

D2Cat hasn’t worked on the real “technical” ones as much (as far as I know), but he’s earned his expertise by doing for himself for many years on many, many rebuild projects.

Daren Todd works servicing rental equipment of many sorts, and has done so for many years.

I would give any advice they give here great consideration.

Not sure I would take your local advice at face value without consulting the expertise you have behind you here. Not just those mentioned, but all of them.

There’s literally 100+ years of experience in the group talking to you...... that’s what makes Orange Tractor Talks great.

I certainly hope this gets worked out. Just a terrible circumstance, but as you said, it’s where you’re at...

My best wishes to you as you move forward, and I mean that in all sincerity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Branch82

Jun 28, 2019
North, Georgia
I do appreciate the advice and I am certainly not ignoring it. I get that the only true way to know is to tear it down.

This is a strange calculus. I don't own the tractor, so I really cannot say 'tear it down and see where we are'. I also cannot really dictate where it goes for repair. Given the two closest dealers that are saying unilaterally engine replacement without seeing the actual tractor...I don't really think committing to pay for a tear down/diagnostic will yield anything but that path(warranted or not). The rental company also seems to have a close relationship with their dealer, so a second differing opinions may not actually move the conversation. So, I guess I am saying that my agreeing to any diagnostic work on the tractorny is really predicated on assessing a better worst case scenario (I/E a reman'd engine instead of a new one at 2.5 times the price).

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
If I were in your position I would contact a lawyer. It’s not your machine, you can’t do anything to it really aside from buy it from the rental company. I highly doubt they are going to let you do anything to the machine to repair it aside from sending it to a mechanic on your dime. I know you said you didn’t have rental insurance so if that’s the case lawyer up. Sucks that it happened, glad your ok, live and learn. I’m sure the company has insurance on the equipment regardless of what they say, they may just be looking to make a few bucks on top of the deductible they have to pay. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
If I were in your position I would contact a lawyer. It's not your machine, I know you said you didn't have rental insurance so if that's the case lawyer up. Sucks that it happened, glad your ok, live and learn. I'm sure the company has insurance on the equipment regardless of what they say, they may just be looking to make a few bucks on top of the deductible they have to pay. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
These are pretty much my feelings on this when I first read the thread. Laws vary from state to state. Was this completely accidental? Was there any intentional misuse or abuse? Were you supplied with an operators manual? Were you given thorough instructions on proper operation of the equipment? The operators manual is probably full of warnings that would have prevented the accident! They can't charge your credit card without authorization. I'd definitely be looking for legal advice.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No matter what the outcome is, think I'd retain a mouthpiece. Something about getting a lawyer involved, changes things. I have one on retainer for my business, necessary evil.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just my 2 cents as I’ve been watching this thread, the question still never been answered who tried to start it after it was back on all fours. Also we’re all the safeties on the tractor working? Did you have the seat belt on? I’ve turned around on mine to do something and it would kill, I sure think if u rolled strapped in or not that you would come off the seat enough to kill it.

Even if it starved for oil at the lower end it wouldn’t bend a rod, that would only come from trying to crank it after it was righted if oil got in the cylinder while it was on its side(or any fluid). I’m with the others in who cranked it first?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Thanks for the advice all.

I'll probably go to look at the tractor on Wednesday to both validate the rental companies story and simply to see how hard I think a DIY would be. I also called a few local kubota dealers. I'm getting the impression that they never rebuild/remanufacture. One was fairly helpful in discussing the situation and clarified why I'd needs a diag-tool (basically the DPF would need soot levels reset). He did make is seem like kubota dealers are pretty much always incentivized to replace vs re-man.

I did do some digging, you can definitely find v2403 engines re-manufactured online. I haven't seen the exact model though (I'm guessing some differences between skid-steers, tractors and other applications). There is even one new on ebay for <$5k.

Also digging into the parts, it does appear that kubota has parts for re-manufacture (larger pistons, rings, and crankshafts).

http://kpadweb.kubota.co.jp/kpad2/PartsInfo.do?bookCd=100K5255&funcCd=&figNo=&himban=&dispType=0

I pushed on the rental company today about the re-manufacture road (seems like unless a rod went through the block (which would be downright obvious....and I sure didn't hear THAT), that this would be the right path.
Diagmaster does not "reset soot levels." You can use Diagmaster to perform a Forced ReGeneration or, you can let the tractor do it on its own.