Rock rake, does it work?

jcasper

Equipment
B7510
Aug 24, 2012
Hillsboro
I have about a half acre where I need to remove some rocks. I just brought in a bunch of fill and would like to pick the rocks prior to planting. I leveled it using the father in laws L4330. Now I have my B7510 to finish. I've been going over the ground with the box scraper teeth down and a harrow trying to bust up dirt clods and find rocks. I have been picking up big rocks by hand, but would love it to be a bit cleaner. I thought about hiring the neighbor kids, but though that maybe a rock rake might do the trick

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah a landscape rake should work fairly well in removing the rocks and and smaller debris and leaving the dirt behind.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have a landscape rake - mostly used it for pine cones. It will work with rocks lying about loosely, but is not going to dig them out of the ground. The slower you go, the better it seems to work. I'd rent one - it turned out to be a good bit of money to use for three days, then let it sit outside forever. For half an acre a wheelbarrow and the neighbor kids might be more economical. But not as much fun.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I bought a rake like what Eric posted. Tried it in loose dirt trying to get small clods out and loose rocks. It sucked. Worst money I ever spent on a implement. If you really want it rock free find a local contractor with a skid steer and a rock hound.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well my next thought would be to rent a power rake and remove the rocks into a pile that way. I've rented one several times for landscape jobs and the power rake is by far the best way to go. Its really a 4 in 1 tool. You can adjust the depth to take off a little or alot. And they have a roll back barrier that adjusts to let a certain amount of stuff threw or rake it off to the side.

jcasper

Equipment
B7510
Aug 24, 2012
Hillsboro
I bought a rake like what Eric posted. Tried it in loose dirt trying to get small clods out and loose rocks. It sucked. Worst money I ever spent on a implement. If you really want it rock free find a local contractor with a skid steer and a rock hound.
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I won't waste my money renting one and just pick up the big rocks.