Reversing front wheels on Kubota B26 TLB - NO NOT DO THAT

Crocus

Equipment
B26TLB c/w thumb, rough-cut mower (JD LX4), DIY forks, DIY Boom pole
Dec 15, 2012
Upper Arrow Lake, BC
Hi all - back to my B26TLB front axle story
The front wheel reversal was done by a Kubota dealer. The tractor was purchased used with 250hrs from a Kubota dealer which had been a rental unit. I had put about 1900 hrs on it on my bare-land, lake-front acreage to build garage and house before the trouble began. Much of the work was at the limit of that little workhorse.
The tractor needed front axle servicing due to seal leaks when the dealer recommended the wheel reversal. They honored their warranty on the first bearing failure. That dealer was a four hour drive away so they shipped the parts to me. I had to send the lower part of the axle to them to pull the lowest bearing that I couldn't get out.
It was the outermost bearing that shattered on both axles. The axle assembly was full of metal fragments so it had to be completely disassembled and cleaned.
For the second axle failure the same procedure followed except I paid for the parts.
I subsequently purchased a slide hammer for any future bearing pulling problems.
That work was done a couple of years ago and I have moved many very heavy loads in the bucket/forks since then with no problems - with the wheels in the original position.

Reactions: 1 user

Crocus

Equipment
B26TLB c/w thumb, rough-cut mower (JD LX4), DIY forks, DIY Boom pole
Dec 15, 2012
Upper Arrow Lake, BC
Man I would have bet a thousand dollars that Karen Carpenter sang that song......

Just another reason why I don't gamble any more. 😂
I have just installed 1.5 inch wheel spacers on my rear axles for wheel chain clearance. I'm not worried about that axle, it's an entirely different beast.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have just installed 1.5 inch wheel spacers on my rear axles for wheel chain clearance. I'm not worried about that axle, it's an entirely different beast.
Did Karen Carpenter sell them to you? 😂 😂

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Noone really replied to the most relevant comment, about how the forces are distributed between inner and outer bearings.

Now ive routinely done terrible things in this regard on cars, but cars dont usually carry extra thousands of lbs of load on the front end.

Wheels rarely have their mounting surface in the actual center lf their width. Usually the mounting surface is closer to the outside of the wheel so that the center of the wheel can ‘tuck in’ under the steering axis and between the inner and outer bearings. Back when the front wheels were super skinny they used positive camber to achieve some of the same effect.

Kubota_Guy

Equipment
B2650 FEL SSQA, B7100D FEL
Jan 10, 2024
Indianapolis, IN
The wheel reversal moved the wheels further out from the bearing on both axles.
Clearly that increased the load on the bearings that caused their destruction.
The repair required replacement of all bearings because of the metal fragments throughout the axle assembly.
This is a consideration for anyone installing wheel spacers on front axles.
Not that I want to go out and try this, and possibly shatter a bearing or 2... I wonder if the shear forces / axle geometry are the same with a wheel spacer versus the reversal of the rim.... Until this I was pondering buying front wheel spacers for my b2650...... Now I think I'll stick to rears.... That said, I typically run heavy.... And I'm pondering 4-in spacers that will put me 8" wider... (All hill property)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not that I want to go out and try this, and possibly shatter a bearing or 2... I wonder if the shear forces / axle geometry are the same with a wheel spacer versus the reversal of the rim.... Until this I was pondering buying front wheel spacers for my b2650...... Now I think I'll stick to rears.... That said, I typically run heavy.... And I'm pondering 4-in spacers that will put me 8" wider... (All hill property)
Yes spacers on the front have the same effect as reversing the rims!
4" on the rears is quite a lot!
2.5 is usually max.

Kubota_Guy

Equipment
Jan 10, 2024
Indianapolis, IN
Yes spacers on the front have the same effect as reversing the rims!
4" on the rears is quite a lot!
2.5 is usually max.
Thanks, trying to find out what OEM's were / are (from what I gather they may have been discontinued?!?!?) if 2.5 is OEM, I'll stick to that and hope for the best. Do you know if they make / make different options?!? Basically would like to get as wide as possible but not impact bearings / wear or breakage.... Unfortunately I don't have a square foot of flat ground on my property... (one of the reasons for the 2650)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks, trying to find out what OEM's were / are (from what I gather they may have been discontinued?!?!?) if 2.5 is OEM, I'll stick to that and hope for the best. Do you know if they make / make different options?!? Basically would like to get as wide as possible but not impact bearings / wear or breakage.... Unfortunately I don't have a square foot of flat ground on my property... (one of the reasons for the 2650)
What tires are you running?

Kubota_Guy

Equipment
Jan 10, 2024
Indianapolis, IN
Not on the rears, as the rear axle is made to be widened to a degree.
What degree? (I'm looking to see if they had "factory spacers" availible (B2650) verses aftermarket... if anything to know how far they're willing to put stress on the rear.... I find it funny my B7100 can off-set the hubs independent L/R for row spacing / stability verses modern tractors being fixed.... :/

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What degree? (I'm looking to see if they had "factory spacers" availible (B2650) verses aftermarket... if anything to know how far they're willing to put stress on the rear.... I find it funny my B7100 can off-set the hubs independent L/R for row spacing / stability verses modern tractors being fixed.... :/
Ag R1 rims do offset, it's only the R3's, R4's, and R14's that do not offset.
I don't think Kubota offered a factory set of wheel spacers for the B2650.
At least I can't find any notes on them.

Kubota_Guy

Equipment
Jan 10, 2024
Indianapolis, IN
It's one of the reasons the previous seller let it go to me.... "felt tippy" - I'd say I agree.... Need to work on making it feel more solid on the hillsides without compromising structural integrity + longevity.

Kubota_Guy

Equipment
Jan 10, 2024
Indianapolis, IN
So just off the horn with Messick's..... they do have a kit (only 1 3/8") But better than nothing.

I hope to get a call back with the kit breakdown of the B8785 kit. And see if it comes with all the necessary options (there is a pin, lock washer, nut and spacer per side.

As a side note, he was sure to tell me Kubota frowns upon the aftermarkets for the above reason (top of thread) And no wonder, if they're only going 1 3/8..... I've seen 6" spacers!!! (total of 12" wider).

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
So just off the horn with Messick's..... they do have a kit (only 1 3/8") But better than nothing.

I hope to get a call back with the kit breakdown of the B8785 kit. And see if it comes with all the necessary options (there is a pin, lock washer, nut and spacer per side.

As a side note, he was sure to tell me Kubota frowns upon the aftermarkets for the above reason (top of thread) And no wonder, if they're only going 1 3/8..... I've seen 6" spacers!!! (total of 12" wider).
Big K’s been making tractors for a while. They know the math and factors of safety. Chances are staying within those parameters will minimize the potential for damage.

Kubota_Guy

Equipment
Jan 10, 2024
Indianapolis, IN
Big K’s been making tractors for a while. They know the math and factors of safety. Chances are staying within those parameters will minimize the potential for damage.
For sure, I love my B7100 for it's ability to move the hubs in and out on the hexagon axles per side. Pretty much infinitely adjustable.... In steps my B2650 and limited options.... Obviously the 2650 is a superior machine in many aspects..... That said, I liked that feature of the 7100.... 46 years and still truck'n!