Replacing Tie Rod End Boot on Grand L Series Kubota Question

LDowney

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
Hey guys. I'm honestly not sure why Kubota didn't extend the boot shields on the L series tractors another 2 inches to protect these boots from being torn, but I have torn my left side boot on the tie rod end. I was hoping those guys that have replaced this boot could offer some advice or tips on this job. I'm sure as easy as this one tore from bush hogging a field, I will become very proficient at this repair. Again, not sure why Kubota didn't extend those shields just another 2 inches. Crazy.

I have attached some pictures so you will see the exact boot I tore. If anyone know's the exact part number for this boot as well, that would be great. Any advice changing this out is appreciated.

IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

jzeurcher

Equipment
L39TLB
Nov 1, 2010
Cheyenne,WY
I don't know the part number but is fairly easy to replace. Turn the wheel so the boot is extended out from cover. You will have to drive the tapered end from the wheel spindle and then remove the tie rod end. The boot can then be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's a little simpler than jzeurcher says, his instructions would be to change the seal on the tie rod end. ;)

P/N 32580-44780 $5.97
And to answer the question why the shield does not go farther out, it will hit the rod or ends if it's farther out, and if the shield hits the ram rood it is quite spendy to fix!

Slide the 2 spring clips off either end of the boot, slide the boot down the tie rod end to expose the lock nut and end of ram joint.
lossen the nut (#90) then thread it back till it bumps the tie rod end (#20), (this give you the mark for the threaded rod so you know how deep to go back in), unthread it replace boot, reassemble. ;)

Attachments

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Awesome diagram. Thanks a ton. My local dealer has 4 boots in stock. I may go ahead and buy all 4 since I'm sure I will be tearing more in the future.
Did a boot replacement on my Grand L not long after it was new, after damaging it under similar circumstances. That first season included lots of learning on my part and the regular mowing of my property quickly cleared it of obstructions that could cause further damage. As a result, there have been no more problems with the steering boots.

Ever since those first experiences, if I need to travel on new, unfamiliar ground, I'll only go into it slowly, with the loader on and the bucket low enough to protect the front axle. Interestingly, there's a big 6 series Deere used for heavy mowing by the city here; they always do the same thing with the loader for their mowing.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ever since those first experiences, if I need to travel on new, unfamiliar ground, I'll only go into it slowly, with the loader on and the bucket low enough to protect the front axle. Interestingly, there's a big 6 series Deere used for heavy mowing by the city here; they always do the same thing with the loader for their mowing.
I did the same thing when mowing the logging roads on my grandfather's farm. It sure helps in finding any downed limbs :D

Bruce Wayne

Equipment
L3430
Apr 18, 2021
Earth
It's a little simpler than jzeurcher says, his instructions would be to change the seal on the tie rod end. ;)

P/N 32580-44780 $5.97
And to answer the question why the shield does not go farther out, it will hit the rod or ends if it's farther out, and if the shield hits the ram rood it is quite spendy to fix!

Slide the 2 spring clips off either end of the boot, slide the boot down the tie rod end to expose the lock nut and end of ram joint.
lossen the nut (#90) then thread it back till it bumps the tie rod end (#20), (this give you the mark for the threaded rod so you know how deep to go back in), unthread it replace boot, reassemble. ;)

What is the part number for 060 in that diagram? The part number you posted is for the 020 swivel taper joint, 020 in diagram. Thanks, I'm having trouble finding it.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Click on ‘View Illustrated Parts’

Click on ‘I accept the Term and Conditions’ BOX then click on ‘open’

Enter your model – click on search

Click ‘OPEN’ next to your exact model or for Attachments click on ‘Local Options’

Parts list and diagrams will open in a new window

Above diagram and part numbers are under steering - G18002 STEERING CYLINDER