Replacing the Alternator with GM Delco Remy 10SI

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Background:
I wanted to replace the dynamo and regulator on my L225 Kubota with D1100 engine and improve charging. Using the readily available 10SI alternator, I was able to do just that! The alternator just fits within the hood assembly and the belt will clear the frame. I wired the excite circuit through the stock charge light on the tach and this does NOT put too much of a strain on the engine at idle. I learned a few things along the way so, I thought that I'd share them to help you out.

What I used:
http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml (Good reference)
PigTail AutoZone 342372. $4
Alternator Orielly Auto 90-01-3106 $53 + $12 core
Scrap Metal & spray paint
3" Hex head cap screw, nut washer and lock washer
Electrical crimp connectors + 10 GA black wire for alternator ground.
1/2 x 43" belt $11 Rural King

Step1: Disconnect battery :)
First I removed the stock dynamo and mounting bracket from the engine. I re-positioned the slotted adjustment arm as high as possible to the hood of the tractor. while playing around with position options and "hanging" the alternator from this mounting bracket, I found that IF you place the bracket behind the threaded alternator lug and use about 4 washers between the bracket and alternator, you will have good alignment.

It becomes obvious really quickly that you'll have to make your own new mounting bracket out. I measured up the centerline of the stock belt relative to the stock Kubota mounting bracket. Similar measurements from the 10SI and a little math lead me to determine that the new bracket is .323" closer to the radiator than the stock. I placed the old bracket on top of my stock at this position and transfer punched the mounting holes. I tried to get the mounting point for the new alternator as high as possible. Pay attention to the head of the Hex Head mounting bolt- I ended up positioning the hole so that the edge of the head is held in place by the side of the bracket. The pics kind of show better than I can explain it to you here.

At this point, I removed the alternator drive pulley, spacer and fan. I clocked the alternator to the 6 o'clock position by removing the fasteners that join the body and popping the front case (pulley side) away from the stator (black center section). Rotate the case so that the electrical connectors are pointing downward. Install the fasteners to hold the alternator back together and tighten them up but keep the fan and pully OFF at this point. Try mounting the alternator in the new bracket. Pop the fan on the shaft and make sure it doesn't hit your bracket- don't ask me how I know. I ended up needing to grind the bracket a bit around the mounting hole to avoid interference.

Once I made up the bracket (she ain't pretty and I did weld it in the dark) I realized that there is a splash guard near the crankshaft pulley. This is a piece of sheet metal that interferes with the belt path. I just cut it off ;) To do so, I removed the front left wheel and turned the steering full lock to the left. Reaching in under the radiator hose with a longer sawzall blade made quick work. Be careful not to hit any wiring!

You will need a longer belt. I ended up using a 1/2" x 43" belt. It does work and there is enough room.

Wiring:
Buy the pigtail, I wasn't comfortable with normal sta-con connectors this close to the grounded body of the alternator...
Terminal 1 (White) excite. I spliced this with the white black wire that runs up to the stock voltage regulator - cutting the wire out of each end of the harness. You could run a new wire I suppose, I just used what was there. Under the dash, I unplugged the "CHG" light from the alternator harness. This Terminal 1 wire connects to the CHG light.
Terminal 2 (red) This got a ring terminal and went directly to the alternator output post. I also connected the stock heavy gauge alternator wire to this post. Lastly, I made a jumper from this post to the starter positive lead.

The only other wire you'll need is a ground wire from the alternator to the battery ground on the frame. Please note... My frame ground was pretty bad.. I noticed a really big improvement after I sanded down the metal and used some dielectric (headlight bulb) grease.

I may have missed a detail or two, but this catches the most of it. I'm glad that I did this project- made a big improvement to the tractor and hopefully can help someone else out.

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
The only problem that you may encounter is low charging amperage. That alternator is designed for a gas engine which spins at higher rpm than your tractor diesel engine. They pulleys on the gas engine crankshaft are much larger, so the alternator spins faster all all engine speeds. This may cause a low or no charge condition at idle.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The only problem that you may encounter is low charging amperage. That alternator is designed for a gas engine which spins at higher rpm than your tractor diesel engine. They pulleys on the gas engine crankshaft are much larger, so the alternator spins faster all all engine speeds. This may cause a low or no charge condition at idle.
It's not an issue at all, I've been running the same alternator setup on a B7100 for 8+ years.

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
well, I guess it spins at sufficient speed at idle. Does it put out full amperage @ governed engine speed if the battery is drawn down? I didn't think a 10SI charged at such a low rpm.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
NICE ! When I upgraded my D-14s, I used the CS130 series alternators. Smaller in size(NO tin cutting !!), more amps(not needed). Used stock genny pulley and belt. i did rotate the rear cases though to '9 oclock' though.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
There's a zillion old Ford tractors with a governed speed of 2k using a one wire 10SI conversion. They charge fine at that speed and way better than OEM generators.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
To date the alternator on my G2160 is running fine. But, been thinking about doing the same. My buddy has a couple brand new GM alternators from back when he worked for OMC. Lets just say a couple went home in his lunch bucket :D so he said if I ever want one it's all good. Brand new never used

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
The alternator charges for sure but I haven't disconnected to measure amp output when the tractor is running. At idle, it puts out almost 15 volts!

I think you guys are a little confused on the 1 wire alternator. If you only hook up the main output wire, then true, it doesn't start changing until 1800+ rpm. When you wire term1 to switched 12v (through the CHG light in my case) and term2 to +12v (Directly to the output stud in my case) then it starts charging right away.

I was concerned that this could be too much load at low RPM or cold start but that isn't the case.

I have done this on old Ford tractor before. It has always worked out great.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The alternator charges for sure but I haven't disconnected to measure amp output when the tractor is running. At idle, it puts out almost 15 volts!

I think you guys are a little confused on the 1 wire alternator. If you only hook up the main output wire, then true, it doesn't start changing until 1800+ rpm. When you wire term1 to switched 12v (through the CHG light in my case) and term2 to +12v (Directly to the output stud in my case) then it starts charging right away.

I was concerned that this could be too much load at low RPM or cold start but that isn't the case.

I have done this on old Ford tractor before. It has always worked out great.
I can assure you the charging behavior of the 10SI has been discussed at great length on the Ford tractor forums. There are a lot of variants some of which are self exciting and start charging at 500-700 RPM - others won't start until higher RPM.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am not real knowledgeable on these matters but I have friends that are. Here is a little documentation on the newer low excite RPM voltage regulator (D22AC-1) that my all things electronic guru sent me. He explains that its operation is quite different from the old style regulator - the diode trio is not used and stator AC is used as a signal for switching battery voltage to field. Charging starts as soon as the stator starts to rotate and there is a detectable voltage.. On the down side there is a very small parasitic draw when the engine is not running. The D22AC-1 regulator is readily available on the old tractor market and can be easily retrofit to alternators that have the older type regulator. Here is a Delco service bulletin and his notes.

Dan

10SI_one_wire+D22AC-1.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
While the parasitic draw is less than 2 ms(similar to having a red LED on 24/7), it WILL kill a battery over time.

Curious, I looked up price for the part... between $22 and $40 USD ! PLUS you have to tear alternator apart and rewire it....... I get CS130 + connectors for $20 at scrapyard any day of the week,free if I remove them.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
While the parasitic draw is less than 2 ms(similar to having a red LED on 24/7), it WILL kill a battery over time.

Curious, I looked up price for the part... between $22 and $40 USD ! PLUS you have to tear alternator apart and rewire it....... I get CS130 + connectors for $20 at scrapyard any day of the week,free if I remove them.
Yes - a CS130 is a different animal and I have no idea how it works. You can purchase a new 10SI with the D22AC1 regulator for about $75 on the aftermarket.

Parasitic draws are pretty normal on modern automotive systems. A 2ma draw will take 45,000 hours to complexly discharge a 90 Ah battery . If you are going to use a 10SI with a D22AC1 regulator I suggest you not wait that long between starts and/or keep it on a battery tender. :devilish:

Dan

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I would have used a chincanese kubota alternator before I put a 10si on it.

I have never had any luck out of the 10si's in dirty environments.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I am the first to admit if I screw up and will report back any dead batteries. You guys had me a little worried, so I pulled the battery lead and used a good fluke to measure, there is no current draw and after 2 weeks, my battery voltage didn't drop.

The only concern I have about the 10si is heat from the exhaust manifold. I may make a schroud or baffle of some kind. I do have a lifetime warranty and Orielly's is 5 minutes away. I'd rather go this route than buy random Chinese stuff... We will see how I do.

Reactions: 1 user

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
It has been roughly 3 weeks since I last used the tractor. No voltage drop and she started and charged just fine. I am happy with the results.

PM me if you need a factory dynamo and charger.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Still no issues with my alternator retrofit. I've mowed and done a few projects where the tractor was started and stopped many times during the day. I'm convinced- she is good.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I would have used a chincanese kubota alternator before I put a 10si on it.

I have never had any luck out of the 10si's in dirty environments.
I installed a 10SI on a 9N Ford that lived outdoors and worked hard mowing for 15 years and it was great.