Replacing hydraulic hoses...kinda scared

pvk

Aug 18, 2011
New Hampshire
I have just emptied my b1700hst transmission oil, spin-on filter and cleaned the transmission filter screen on the tractor. My question is that I now have no transmission/hydraulic oil left in the unit, can I remove and repair leaky hoses without worrying about it shooting oil everywhere or getting injected with hydraulic oil and being in a world of hurt?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It may still have pressure on the lines. If it's on a loader work the control back and forth and it should relieve any excess pressure on the system. I would then just crack the line loose and slowly bleed off the remaining fluid. You are smart to use caution reguarding hyd lines though.

pvk

Aug 18, 2011
New Hampshire
It may still have pressure on the lines. If it's on a loader work the control back and forth and it should relieve any excess pressure on the system. I would then just crack the line loose and slowly bleed off the remaining fluid. You are smart to use caution reguarding hyd lines though.
Yes, the lines are from the loader. I have moved the joystick in every direction possible to relieve pressure, now comes the scary part, removing the lines and hoping nothing bad happens.

Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just make sure the bucket is sitting down and can't move. You should be fine to loosen it up and remove the line. Good luck with it.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Listen to Bulldog and you'll be fine. If you don't KNOW that there is no pressure on a line just remove it very slowly if there is pressure you will notice weeping before there would be anything violent. If it weeps leave it until it stops and then crack it open a little more. Never been hurt by one but have removed some that were under pressure on attachments that I had not disconnected. Caution always in order with hydraulics and PTO shafts.

me109stock

Equipment
B6100E w/ FEL
Feb 29, 2012
Stockton, CA, USA
I blew an OLD line, so no worry about pressure, but now that I've replaced the line is there a need to bleed the system to get the air out, or do I just move the controls around until the air pocket gets back to the return line and the resevior?

Nevermind - answered to my own question - no bleeding required per another post I found, just move the controls around.

Last edited:

Buse

Equipment
B6100 with FEL
Oct 3, 2011
Sweden
Swapping the tubes should be easy. When I gor my B6100DT There was 7 out of 8 hoses really bad. After spending a lot of reading here I orderd new hoses and removed the old ones ever so careful...But as described - it was very straight forward to do. My FEL is now ever so myúch stronger, and I am so glad that I found this forum prior buying. It hs helped a lot.

Attachments

drewscruis

Equipment
B7100D with FEL and tiller
Sep 9, 2011
Eden, NY. usa
if I am doubtful of a hydro line after I've done everything possible to make sure it has no pressure what I do is put a rag around it by either tying it on or i'll use a zip tie so that it is just below the nut on the hose. doesn't work everytime because sometimes there is just no room, but on a loader you should have plenty.