Replacement RT Stabilizer Cylinder for Woods BH-7503

hydestone

Equipment
Kubota L2250
Mar 31, 2023
Massachusetts
Hi All:

I need to replace a stabilizer cylinder on my Woods BH-7503. The original part number is 62498. Unfortunately, they are +/- $900, so I am looking for an alternate option. Surplus Center has one by Prince Mfg - Wolverine 9-8771-14 that looks like it will work, but it's out of stock. I am thinking of replacing it with a 9-8771-12 instead since I need to use it before June when the other cylinders will be back in stock. I'd also get some 1" to 3/4" bushings, since my pins are 3/4" and the replacement cylinder has a 1" hole in the end attachment.

The specs are a little off from the original. The stroke is a little shorter, etc. I use the tractor around the yard for misc stuff like moving small rocks, digging holes for shrubs, or clearing brush in the woods.

Thoughts on whether the 9-8771-12 is a viable option for replacing the Woods 62498?

Appreciate the help and advice. Thanks

hydestone

Equipment
Kubota L2250
Mar 31, 2023
Massachusetts
I think so, thanks! I just picked my old original cylinder up from the hydraulic shop. I’ll try and measure it up.

My pins are 3/4”. The holes in this one are 1”. I’ll need to track down some bushings. Looks like 1” to 3/4”…one at 2-1-2” long
Yes, very similar. The end connection is a little different, but that might not matter?

I just picked up the old one from the shop, see attached photos.

looks like I’d need two 1” to 3/4” bushings for that one. One at 2-1/2” and the other at 1-1/4”. Any suggestions on where to source those? Get one 4” long and cut it down to size?

Attachments

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
You my want to get a second opinion on that rebuild . I've repacked plenty of rams for tractors & if it's just the piston I'd get another look at it .
ymmv
animal

hydestone

Equipment
Kubota L2250
Mar 31, 2023
Massachusetts
You my want to get a second opinion on that rebuild . I've repacked plenty of rams for tractors & if it's just the piston I'd get another look at it .
ymmv
animal
Yeah, doesn't seem too bad to me, but I'm a novice on this kind of stuff. Between labor and parts I was thinking the cost would be close to what a new replacement would cost. The new one posted by GreensvilleJay is $229.

Any idea what a typical cost for repacked cylinder would be? I'm in MA.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Yeah, doesn't seem too bad to me, but I'm a novice on this kind of stuff. Between labor and parts I was thinking the cost would be close to what a new replacement would cost. The new one posted by GreensvilleJay is $229.

Any idea what a typical cost for repacked cylinder would be? I'm in MA.
A good hydraulic shop should be able to custom make an exact new replacement of that size cylinder for $400-500. Finding the shop that makes them the trick. Most shops sub out to them and add a couple hundred for customer service for handling.

I would try real hard to get a very similar cylinder.

Reactions: 1 user

hydestone

Equipment
Kubota L2250
Mar 31, 2023
Massachusetts
A good hydraulic shop should be able to custom make an exact new replacement of that size cylinder for $400-500. Finding the shop that makes them the trick. Most shops sub out to them and add a couple hundred for customer service for handling.

I would try real hard to get a very similar cylinder.
The shop I brought it too is pretty reputable, been around for a long time and recommended by a friend who owns a bunch of equipment. I know of another reputable shop that's an hour away. Just thinking that what they do won't be cheaper than a new one for $229 plus tax. Plus it'll save me a couple hours of driving.

The one suggested above is pretty similar, but not exact. It's for a stabilizer leg on a small tractor. I'm just moving stuff (logs, rocks, etc) around in the yard and digging holes.

Seems like it's pretty close on for the dimensions and working pressure. I think the stroke length is off by 1/2". I don't know how critical these items are for a small backyard tractor. Just want to make sure I don't ruin the backhoe.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
WHen I rebuilt the rams on my old Case 580 . I pullet the rams apart & took the gland & the piston to a hydraulic shop in Reno Nv & got all new prart to fit my piston & glands for @ $50.00 per ram , some were cheaper . I ended up buying the special tool for getting teh inner packing in the gland after screwing a few up . These things ain't rocket science . Watch some youtubes .
animal

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi All:

I need to replace a stabilizer cylinder on my Woods BH-7503. The original part number is 62498. Unfortunately, they are +/- $900, so I am looking for an alternate option. Surplus Center has one by Prince Mfg - Wolverine 9-8771-14 that looks like it will work, but it's out of stock. I am thinking of replacing it with a 9-8771-12 instead since I need to use it before June when the other cylinders will be back in stock. I'd also get some 1" to 3/4" bushings, since my pins are 3/4" and the replacement cylinder has a 1" hole in the end attachment.

The specs are a little off from the original. The stroke is a little shorter, etc. I use the tractor around the yard for misc stuff like moving small rocks, digging holes for shrubs, or clearing brush in the woods.

Thoughts on whether the 9-8771-12 is a viable option for replacing the Woods 62498?

Appreciate the help and advice. Thanks
I am a big fan of replacing rather than trying to repair damaged cylinders. Have a look here.

You need to compare retracted length in addition to cross tube fit. Bushing the cross tubes down is easy.

If its in stock at Magister USA delivery is fast and free. The cylinders are actually made in Ukraine and the war has severely impacted their supply line.

Dan

hydestone

Equipment
Kubota L2250
Mar 31, 2023
Massachusetts
Using a tape measure, I come up with 21-1/8 for the retracted length. Basically lifted the stabilizer leg all the way up and measured from center of pin to center of pin. Thinking it's probably 22".

Cross tube fit is good. The leg connection is 4-3/16" wide, so it has bushings on either side of the ends.

The port on the original cylinder is SAE 4. The Chief is SAE 6 and the Magister is SAE 8. Any issues using a reducers?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Using a tape measure, I come up with 21-1/8 for the retracted length. Basically lifted the stabilizer leg all the way up and measured from center of pin to center of pin. Thinking it's probably 22".

Cross tube fit is good. The leg connection is 4-3/16" wide, so it has bushings on either side of the ends.

The port on the original cylinder is SAE 4. The Chief is SAE 6 and the Magister is SAE 8. Any issues using a reducers?
Reducers??? If youvare talking about port size you simply buy the appropriate port adapter and you are good to go.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Bushings are easy.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I tried to install replacement cylinders on my Woods BH 750 backhoe. The problem that I encountered was the difference in the ports on the replacement cylinder. On the OEM cylinder the port on the rod end points to the rear. On the replacement cylinder I bought the port points up. When I installed a 90 degree fitting to get the hose connected it was much taller than the OEM connection. I needed to modify the stabilizer leg because the 90 degree fitting would have hit the stabilizer. The arms required extensive modification to allow the replacement cylinders to clear.
replacement cyl.jpg
OEM cylinder.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for the heads up Sam. I ordered one from Tractor supply which has flush ports, see image below. Figuring I’ll put two 1/2”F x 1/4”M 90s on it.

Do you think I’ll have any issues with that setup?
You dont need 1/2" fittings on something like that and you can get even more clearance using smaller hoses with 90 degree male ORB hose end fittings.

Dan

1680517422477.png