Removing Water Pipe L185

Jrh

Equipment
L185, Woods Finish mower, 1 row cultivator, 1 bottom breaking plow, 1 shank rip
Aug 8, 2013
Bardstown,Ky
During the process of removing the front cover to check and replace the missing front camshaft oil plug the water pipe that goes from the cover to the block broke into leaving about 1/4 " of pipe still in the block. How does a guy go about trying to remove the piece? Tried yesterday to saw a slot in the bottom of the ring and pry the sides loose but so far did not work. Is there some trick to removing this piece? Maybe heat the piece of ring? Is there a tool made that will expand in the hole and grab the sides of the ring to back ring out.
Thanks for any help
jrh

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
During the process of removing the front cover to check and replace the missing front camshaft oil plug the water pipe that goes from the cover to the block broke into leaving about 1/4 " of pipe still in the block. How does a guy go about trying to remove the piece? Tried yesterday to saw a slot in the bottom of the ring and pry the sides loose but so far did not work. Is there some trick to removing this piece? Maybe heat the piece of ring? Is there a tool made that will expand in the hole and grab the sides of the ring to back ring out.
Thanks for any help
jrh

[/ATTACH]
Hi jrh
If you have a local tool supply shop they should have an extractor for pipes, similar but not the same as a bolt extractor. I've used them a lot removing brass air fittings. Good luck as I know what a pain they are.

Jrh

Equipment
Aug 8, 2013
Bardstown,Ky
I guess another question is, does the water pipe have to be repaired because there is a gasket that seals this surface? Leave the old pieces in and let the gasket do its job. Is that possible? A person could reach a finger in from the front of the cover before you apply the water cover and apply JB Weld or something comparable and seal up the crack between the 2 pieces. I prefer to replace but if I cannot get the piece of ring out then what are my choices? Are the threads on the pipe standard pipe threads or something else? I would like to clean the threads if I get the piece out but not sure what to use unless a piece of pipe has same threads.
What are the thoughts out there?

What kind of wrench have you tried to remove this tube. I see it has slots cut in the end but what fits this?

Thanks
jrh

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DO NOT HEAT IT!
The aluminum will melt, crack, or distort long before you'll get the pipe out!You use a seat tool to install or remove those.
Just make your own, cut a piece of square bar to fit between the two slots then turn it with a wrench.
Or take a hack saw and carefully cut the pipe on the inside just a bit / not all the way or you'll ruin the threads, then using a sharp chisel carefully pry the pipe away from the threads on either side of the cut, it should brake at the cut.
Being that it's a Kubota most likely the threads are BST threads and not normal pipe threads, same count different pitch.

Jrh

Equipment
Aug 8, 2013
Bardstown,Ky
Still have not finished assembly of front cover on L185. I guess my hold up is why does the water pipe have to be so leak proof? It goes thru a cavity that has gasket all around it Again if I install it as it is and reach in and put JB weld on the crack before applying outside cover, why wouldn't this be adequate, especially with the pipe inside its own gasket protected compartment. The water cover on the front of the gear case cover is a much larger area and also protected by its own gasket. I guess the main difference is if the water cover gasket leaked then water is lost outside of the motor whereas if the pipe going to the block inside its compartment is different in that if it leaked outside of the gasket then it would be getting water in the oil... Am I correct on this?

I may attempt this afternoon to remove the piece of pipe again. The trouble is the pipe is so thin that you can hardly get a tool under it to pry up. It has a thickness of about 1/16 inch and appears to be stuck or corroded in.
I would appreciate any replies someone may have.
Thanks
jrh

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
DO NOT HEAT IT!
The aluminum will melt, crack, or distort long before you'll get the pipe out!You use a seat tool to install or remove those.
Just make your own, cut a piece of square bar to fit between the two slots then turn it with a wrench.
Or take a hack saw and carefully cut the pipe on the inside just a bit / not all the way or you'll ruin the threads, then using a sharp chisel carefully pry the pipe away from the threads on either side of the cut, it should brake at the cut.
Being that it's a Kubota most likely the threads are BST threads and not normal pipe threads, same count different pitch.

This is the approach I would use also.......you could also use a Dremel.

Replace.........do not patch.......will not hold.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I would remove it as well. Either unthread it, or I'd attempt to crush it inboard radially with a sharp chisel, anything to kink it and reduce it's outside diameter enough to loosen up or start tearing.

Jrh

Equipment
Aug 8, 2013
Bardstown,Ky
Got it out. Took a very small sharp chisel, got under it where I had cut it into and popped it up and out.
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated
jrh