removing blades from the deck

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok can some one tell me how to take the blades off with out removing the deck from the tractor? I gota be dumber than a box of rocks cause people tell me its not a problem just reach under with the wrench and take them off, cause i cant figure out how to do it,, Anybody know how????

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I either drive it on a ramp I built or use a overhead hoist to pick front of tractor up and use a air gun to take them off but dont over tighten the blade bolts and make sure washers are turned with concave side down (hollow side up)when putting back on.handy

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
There is 3 ways to remove blades from the mower the easy way and the hard way. The easy way is to take pictures of the deck on the tractor including all of the linkages and then remove the deck and flip it over and the blades are exposed and using a impact gun and air compressor spin the nuts-bolts off with the gun. The hard way is to jack the tractor up and then get it high enough to reach under and try to wrench the nut-bolts off. After banging up fingers and barking knuckles and getting mad you drop the tractor back down and remove the deck and use the air compressor and impact gun and remove the blades.

Oh yea the third way is take the tractor with the deck attached to the dealer and let them do it....

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Skeets,

If you have money to burn, use Michael's third suggestion. If not, a set of car ramps works pretty good to raise the front of the tractor; just be sure to block the wheels. Then the biggest proplem is how to hold the blade and mandrel to keep it from turning; a block of wood works, as does a chain to the frame of the tractor.

Blade retention bolts normally loosen in the direction the blade turns. For exaple, the blades on my Woods L59 that rotates CCW (when viewed from above) are left hand threads. A good impact wrench is required to break the bolts loose, without holding the blades.

Robert

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
AAAHHHH the joys of being 6' 4'' with long arms. I just lay on my back and reach up to all the blade and yank them loose by hand. Helps to do it from the discharge shoot side!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well Ed I'm 6'3" at 265,,maybe thats why I cant get under there,,lol.. I have use the ramp and busted up knuckles and fingers and cussed and,,,well you get the idea,,, I was just kind of hoping there might be an easyer way than takin the deck off, but I guess it does give me a good excuse to be in the garage and consume several adult beverages,, Hmmm so maybe there is no down side to this

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Skeets, I assume you have a MMM and not a rear mounted on the 3pt. Mine is a 3pt and I suck up the top link and raise it all the way. Then I just lay down and run the bolts out using one of man's greatest inventions, the impact wrench! On a MMM, I'd use one of the methods mentioned to raise the front end of the tractor, and hit it with the impact. but if you don't have one, I'd recommend investing in one. You'll never regret purchasing one.

The only better way of getting to the blades is to pull the tractor over a pit or put it on a car lift. Good Luck!

Delaware Devil

Equipment
bx2360, FEL, 60"mid mount mower, Woods 5' back blade
Jul 10, 2010
Felton, Delaware
BX 2360 here with a 60" mmm. I run the front up on car ramps, and use a sears craftsman 19.2 volt impact wrench. Note you need to leave the extension off and use a short socket.:D

shoalsgary

Equipment
mowing, bucket, bushhogging
Mar 7, 2015
Florence, AL
None of my sockets fit the bolts on my blades. What size bolts are used on the G5200? Why are there holes in the bolt heads? None of my allens fit them. And the corners are rounded off from the factory??? What's up with THAT?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
None of my sockets fit the bolts on my blades. What size bolts are used on the G5200? Why are there holes in the bolt heads? None of my allens fit them. And the corners are rounded off from the factory??? What's up with THAT?
I don't know for 100% but looking at the picture and your explanation, sounds like you either are trying standard sockets or the bolt head is damaged.
If a metric does not fit it, it has probably been worn down, use a pipe wrench to remove the bolt and buy new bolts.

Attachments

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I must be pretty lucky because I'll change them before I mount the deck and just touch them up with a file from time to time. I don't have to worry about rocks & such because I found them years ago. :D

If I had to change mine out mid summer, I'd just pull the deck. Not that big of a deal.

shoalsgary

Equipment
Mar 7, 2015
Florence, AL
I don't know for 100% but looking at the picture and your explanation, sounds like you either are trying standard sockets or the bolt head is damaged.
If a metric does not fit it, it has probably been worn down, use a pipe wrench to remove the bolt and buy new bolts.

What SIZE metric? Nevermind; I bought a 1-3/16 impact socket at NAPA that fits perfectly.

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
What SIZE metric?
Mine uses a 30 MM socket. The way I get mine off is to use the bucket to raise the front end of the tractor up and then place wood blocks under the front tires. Don't forget to set the parking brake after you place the wood blocks under the front tires. Then I crawl under the mower deck and use a block of wood to keep the blade from turning while I slide a piece of pipe over the socket wrench handle and turn. The pipe gives me the leverage I need to turn the bolts easily. I do the same in reverse when putting the blades back on.

shoalsgary

Equipment
Mar 7, 2015
Florence, AL
I struggled for 20+ years with mower blade replacement never remembering if the threads were reversed or not and laying on my back.

There are two tools that are worth the price.
1. Impact wrench
2. ATV lift

Here's a link for the lift:
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-lift-riding-lawn-mower-atv-lift-61523.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-lift-riding-lawn-mower-atv-lift-61523.html
I drove 70 miles to Huntsville and bought the ATV lift, brought it home, assembled it and voila! It doesn't work. They left the check valve and spring out of the pump. I'm taking it back and using the ramps and bucket on my tractor.