Red oxide or Gray primer?

2grit

Equipment
L35,U45
Apr 24, 2011
northeast
I just finished building an all steel dump trailer and now want to paint it. Would love to hear from those who can tell me which primer I should use. I am going to spray paint it. I'm wondering why red oxide primer is 30.00/gallon and gray is 50.00/gallon. I'm not 100% yet on the final color. Not sure if that would matter at all with which primer I use

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's clean new steel then etching gray primer will give a better bond.
If it's dirty or rusty then Red Oxide primer is the way to go. ;)

hurleyhuckster

May 19, 2015
Kingston, NY
I used to to body work way way back when I was just a wee one, so take what I am saying with a chunk of salt......but....

I remember using a self etching epoxy primer that had to mixed with a catalyst and that stuff was the bom! Smells like bubbe gum and was a greenish gray color.

I also remember the color of the primer also effected the holdout of the final paint job depending upon the color you were using such that you wanted to match the color as close as possible to the primer, but this is not a huge deal unless your painting like a final coat a white color you would not want to use a red primer for example.

So yeah I agree with wolfman, look for a self etching and preferably an epoxy type with catalyst.

Good luck

calvarez

Equipment
Kubota Bulltra ZB1-14
Jan 10, 2013
Spain
I just finished building an all steel dump trailer and now want to paint it. Would love to hear from those who can tell me which primer I should use. I am going to spray paint it. I'm wondering why red oxide primer is 30.00/gallon and gray is 50.00/gallon. I'm not 100% yet on the final color. Not sure if that would matter at all with which primer I use

Photos!! photos!!! Please!!!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've used Pittsburgh AUE300 on a few projects. Recommended by the guy who runs the body shop we use for our work trucks, it's direct to metal color coat (with catalyst), no primer required. The supplier was able to match Kubota orange for my snowblower last year. I've been impressed with it.

Last edited:

2grit

Equipment
L35,U45
Apr 24, 2011
northeast
If it's clean new steel then etching gray primer will give a better bond.
If it's dirty or rusty then Red Oxide primer is the way to go. ;)
Bought the primer and paint today. Didn't realize you could spend that much on paint. Oh well, should last. Got the epoxy primer

I used to to body work way way back when I was just a wee one, so take what I am saying with a chunk of salt......but....

I remember using a self etching epoxy primer that had to mixed with a catalyst and that stuff was the bom! Smells like bubbe gum and was a greenish gray color.

I also remember the color of the primer also effected the holdout of the final paint job depending upon the color you were using such that you wanted to match the color as close as possible to the primer, but this is not a huge deal unless your painting like a final coat a white color you would not want to use a red primer for example.

So yeah I agree with wolfman, look for a self etching and preferably an epoxy type with catalyst.

Good luck
Photos!! photos!!! Please!!!
I uploaded a video a few days ago on Youtube and it still hasn't shown up on their site. If it isn't there tomorrow I'll post before and after pictures of the paint job. Cross your fingers!!!!!

I've used Pittsburgh AUE300 on a few projects. Recommended by the gut who runs the body shop we use for our work trucks, it's direct to metal color coat (with catalyst), no primer required. The supplier was able to match Kubota orange for my snowblower last year. I've been impressed with it.
I went with Pittsburgh paints, I think AUE101. They didn't have the 300 and I'm not waiting any longer to paint. Thank you everyone for the input