Recommended Engine Oil

Dennis71

Equipment
B7100
Aug 15, 2013
Washougal, WA
I'm looking for recommendations as to what type of engine oil I should be using on a Kubota B7100 engine with 1325 hours. I just bought the tractor and don't have any history on it, however, the engine runs and sounds good. Any comments will be appreciated....

Also, oil filter recommendations...

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
I'm looking for recommendations as to what type of engine oil I should be using on a Kubota B7100 engine with 1325 hours. I just bought the tractor and don't have any history on it, however, the engine runs and sounds good. Any comments will be appreciated....

Also, oil filter recommendations...
Buddy, do a search on here about this subject. Its a war with no winners.

bamabota

Equipment
L3200DT, LA524FL loader, 5' Land Pride bush hog
Jul 6, 2013
Oxford, AL
I use the Chevron Delo 15w40. I've used this oil in my F250, my tractor, and used it on the job for a fleet of tractor-trailer units. Another diesel oil that is used a lot is the Shell Rotella. Both of these oils are synthetic and have proven themselves in test labs. One of these maybe more available than the other, so check with your local parts stores. I've had good results using the Wix filters also. GOOD LUCK! :)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Buddy, do a search on here about this subject. Its a war with no winners.
Well said!
Any diesel-rated oil will work for you, as long as you use the proper weight for your environment. Saying that, I don't know of any diesel-rated oil that isn't any good, but you will hear that some are better than others, and that synthetic is better than natural. Again, both types seem to do the job well.
As far as filters, don't go cheap. There have been some posts recently about bad filters. I would suggest you buy Kubota- that's what I do, and haven't had to pay much more (less than a dollar over what the local parts store wanted). It's worth it, in my book.
Welcome to OTT! The B7100 is a fine tractor, and if yours has been cared for, 1300 hours is still young.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I use the Chevron Delo 15w40. I've used this oil in my F250, my tractor, and used it on the job for a fleet of tractor-trailer units. Another diesel oil that is used a lot is the Shell Rotella. Both of these oils are synthetic and have proven themselves in test labs. One of these maybe more available than the other, so check with your local parts stores. I've had good results using the Wix filters also. GOOD LUCK! :)
I don't know about Delo, but not all Rotella is synthetic. Shell makes both. Both are highly trusted oils, and you can often find both on sale.

Dennis71

Equipment
B7100
Aug 15, 2013
Washougal, WA
Thanks to all for sharing your experience and expertise about different types diesel engine oils. Your comments were appreciated and useful....

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I've got 1076 hours on my B7610 and I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-40 and so far no issues with 40 hours on that oil. I'm using the standard Kubota oil filter as well.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've got 1076 hours on my B7610 and I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic 10W-40 and so far no issues with 40 hours on that oil. I'm using the standard Kubota oil filter as well.
I firmly believe in synthetic lubricants but I wouldn't run standard Mobil 1 in a diesel. I would go with the Delvac 1 diesel oil instead. JMHO

apn73

Equipment
B4200 with RC44-42 belly mower and FEL
Jul 26, 2011
SE VA
This forum is starting to sound like some of the forums that I participate in, just answer the mans question! I believe the recommended oil for a tractor of that vintage is 10w-30, it may even say so right on the oil fill cap, raised letters and numbers cast into the aluminum. I'm using Shell Rotella T5 in the above mentioned viscosity and have had no problems. Recommended change interval is 60 hours, but that is based on conventional dino oil. I believe you can run synthetic out to 125 hours, but it depends on your situation. I don't run my tractor 60 hours in year, so I'm changing once a year.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This forum is starting to sound like some of the forums that I participate in, just answer the mans question! I believe the recommended oil for a tractor of that vintage is 10w-30, it may even say so right on the oil fill cap, raised letters and numbers cast into the aluminum. I'm using Shell Rotella T5 in the above mentioned viscosity and have had no problems. Recommended change interval is 60 hours, but that is based on conventional dino oil. I believe you can run synthetic out to 125 hours, but it depends on your situation. I don't run my tractor 60 hours in year, so I'm changing once a year.
Questions like this have and always will be a touchy subject. You obviously haven't been around for some of the oil wars. That is why all of us are hesitant to jump right in the middle of this thread. :eek:

Example: I don't fully agree with some of the info you listed. I have owned 4 Kubotas including a B7100 and none of them had a 60 hr change interval. Extended drain intervals are another can of worms. It depends on the oil you are using as well as the working condition of the machine. The T5 you listed says (according to Shell site) it's extended drain capable but doesn't list any specs as to how long it can be extended. :confused:

I only said anything just to show how easy it is to start a oil war. Opinions run strong and deep when oil is the subject. Everybody thinks without any doubt what they use is the best and nothing will change that. :D

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
One thing to remember when looking up the specs for oil on a older machine is that the sae letters such as CD,CE etc may have been replaced by new designations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
"This forum is starting to sound like some of the forums that I participate in, just answer the mans question!"

We are.

Wagnerwerks

Equipment
B6000e
Jul 24, 2013
Pa
I firmly believe in synthetic lubricants but I wouldn't run standard Mobil 1 in a diesel. I would go with the Delvac 1 diesel oil instead. JMHO
This was a very valid comment about Mobil one. I have used it in many vehicles with fine results, but most of it is not diesel rated. I'm a synthetic guy too and am not bashing any brands. Use any brand you like, but make sure it's a diesel rated oil with a good detergent package. The ones already mentioned on here by other are great examples.

kc8fbl

Equipment
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
This was a very valid comment about Mobil one. I have used it in many vehicles with fine results, but most of it is not diesel rated. I'm a synthetic guy too and am not bashing any brands. Use any brand you like, but make sure it's a diesel rated oil with a good detergent package. The ones already mentioned on here by other are great examples.
Does the Delvac come in synthetic? I never thought about regular mobil 1 in a diesel. It's time to change the oil in it since I've only put 40 hours on in a year. I figure I'll change it once a year. I may have to look around and read those labels! ;) I like the lighter weight oil for engine turnover during the winter months. I know Rotella is pretty common here so that may be what I'll use.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Mobil Delvav 1 is fully synthetic and comes in 5w30 and 5w40, I would go with the 5w30. I personally use 5w30 Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel in all my equipment and diesel truck year round. That weight oil really does well for me and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for you. :)

kc8fbl

Equipment
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
Mobil Delvav 1 is fully synthetic and comes in 5w30 and 5w40, I would go with the 5w30. I personally use 5w30 Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel in all my equipment and diesel truck year round. That weight oil really does well for me and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for you. :)
Thanks, I'll have to look for it at our local Meijer or Wal-Mart. If they don't have it, then I'll try the parts stores. ;)

50shootr

Equipment
B6100D, Honda 70 fourtrax STIHL MS 250
Nov 4, 2012
So. Dartmouth,Ma.
Have to add my advice,not recommended swit. to full syn, Shell Rotella T5 syn blend 10w- 30 in my B6100 , choice is yours Ed

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
I'm a firm believer of Used Oil Analysis's. That's really the only way to know 'how' well the oil is performing/protecting and 'how' long you can safely run it in the unit. Any oil (no matter of choice, hours or analysis) should be in service longer than a year due to oxidation over that time. My 0.02....