Recall notice for L3301, L3901, L4701?

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Got a call from my dealer saying a recall has been announced for these tractors. They said they have to send out a mechanic to inspect my machine.

Apparently, when they get painted, some kind of plug is inserted somewhere in the PCV valve for masking. I guess a few machines never had these plugs removed and can cause overpressurization of the crankcase. Resulting in a run away.

Thought I would take a look and see if I could tell what they are talking about before the mechanic comes. Problem is, I am not sure where the PCV valve is located. Strangely, neither my manual nor WSM show its location or even mention it.???

Anyone else get the same call?

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Well it should be somewhat easy to find. Look for a breather hose coming out of the valve cover or in that area (top of block) and follow it until you reach some sort of plastic component.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
That's like a 2 year old recall campaign. Let the dealer take care of it. It's easy, takes like 10 seconds for them to do it-and then 30 minutes to do their internal paperwork.

The runaway-you can thank the good ol' US EPA for this stupid stuff! What gets me is that they (government) could care less about safety of the operator. Years ago, it was mandated that crankcase vapors be recycled-in other words, the hose from the valve cover that used to be directed at the ground was re-routed back to the air intake. Well, then you get a diesel engine that has too much oil in it, or gets involved in a rollover, and guess what? The excess engine oil-or the oil that is sucked into the intake through that hose during a rollover is burned...in other words...the engine cannot be shut off. You can shut the key off all you want but the only way to kill it is to shut off it's fuel (or oil) supply, or air supply. Diesels don't have spark plugs to turn off so as long as it's got compression fuel and air, it'll run. This is why there was a recall campaign-if that plug is left in, the engine may over pressurize the crankcase, push oil into the pcv system and then of course into the engine's air intake, which then causes the engine to become uncontrollable. I haven't seen an L01 do it, but I did witness a highway department worker roll a New Holland, and the oil got into the engine and the engine RPM went sky high, while the rear wheel was trying to spin the tractor around with the bush hog still going crazy behind it. Coulda been a bad deal if he hadn't had a seat belt on. It was bad enough as it was.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
tcrote5516,

Why would they paint "some sort of plastic component"?

Not sure if I can even see the valve cover through the clutter.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
lugbolt,

I have about 200 hours on the tractor in two years. If I were going to have a problem wouldn't it have occurred by now?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Fro there are some pics of stuff in that general vicinity in this thread for a 3560 recall. If you have the parts diagram for the 01 series the piece you are looking for might be the oil separator. Not sure where the plug might be located though. The 3560 recall was a freezing issue so insulation was added.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17918

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
lugbolt,

I have about 200 hours on the tractor in two years. If I were going to have a problem wouldn't it have occurred by now?

Yes. I am told it would've happened at dealer setup and PDI, or within the first hour of use. Still wise to have the recalls performed, though. Dealer gets paid to do it, Kubota rewards the dealer if a certain percentage is met, and it also removes some liability from yourself should an issue come up somewhere down the road.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Fro there are some pics of stuff in that general vicinity in this thread for a 3560 recall. If you have the parts diagram for the 01 series the piece you are looking for might be the oil separator. Not sure where the plug might be located though. The 3560 recall was a freezing issue so insulation was added.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17918
Sheepfarmer,

Thanks. I found the oil separator. It is easily accessible but my hands are too big to try to follow the lines through the cracks to any pcv valve. I presume it is crammed back on top of the engine somewhere.

D2CAT,

Hope it doesn't happen, but yes you are right, one must act quickly. I had a runaway in an old skid steer years ago. Amazing how many corn husks you have to pack into an air intake to stop one.:)

lugbolt,

That is what I thought but it is good to hear from another source. Dealer doesn't seem too concerned. You said this was a two year old issue...curious why I just got the call.??? Guess I will ask when they make it out here.

Thanks all.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Fro65, you can go to the Kubota web site and use the contact us link, you can ask them if all the campaigns have been done to your tractor. Just give them the model of the tractor and the serial number. I have done this two times since I bought my tractor.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
lugbolt,

That is what I thought but it is good to hear from another source. Dealer doesn't seem too concerned. You said this was a two year old issue...curious why I just got the call.??? Guess I will ask when they make it out here.

Thanks all.
I don't know in your case, but I do know one particular recall years ago, Kubota told the dealer that Kubota would no longer be responsible for getting the recall done... so they were more or less forcing the dealers to get the recall done by x date. Kubota will do that sometimes, push the dealers pretty hard to get certain repair campaigns done. I think all manufacturers probably do similar.