Rear scraper blade? HELP!

UWAdventurer

Equipment
Kubota L3400 w/FEL & Woods 7500 backhoe
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
I have a rear scraper blade on my L3400 with R4 loaded tires. This is my first winter with it. Compared to the L2950 with R1's I traded in it is awful. I have locked it into 4 wheel drive and still can't plow the driveway without getting stuck. I have about a 6 foot grade in about 150" and I just spin, my old tractor wasn't near as bad, I think the R1's made the difference. It seems like the rear blade keeps dropping too far and digs all the gravel up in my drive. Is there a way to make the blade float more? Do I have the linkage too tight? I have tried adjusting the 3 point but the blade seems to drop deeper as I move along. We had 8-9 inches of snow and I feel I plowed more gravel than snow.

Any help is appreciated. Frustrated in Indiana.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The R1's are more then likely more suited for snow then the R4's are. Try running the top link out a bit and get the blade to pitch backwards and it shouldn't dig up as much gravel that way.

When I do my driveway I plow it all to the back and pile it up so when the snow melts I can get my gravel back. You want to knock off enough snow to be able to drive and get out but not dig up much rock if its possible but it does happen.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Not sure about the 6 foot drop in 12 and a half feet, that is pretty darn steep, like 22 degrees. That in itself would be a problem. :eek: But you probably meant 150 feet and that should be no big deal. ;)

As far as the rear blade, try getting an 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe and cut a slot in it. Get it over the cutting edge of the rear blade and you should be good to go, for awhile anyway.

Good luck. :)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Any wet or muddy situation you are going to really hate the R4 tires. They do have there place but when it comes to traction they can't beat Ag tires.

Does your tractor not have a adjustable stop on the 3pt control? Mine can be set anywhere I want the arms to stop.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Chains will really help with traction but you will also need wheel spacers with those tires.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Something does sound wrong with your 3ph control. Get the blade an inch or two above the gravel, and twist the knob under the front of the seat to stop it from ever going lower. That should help.
You will need spacers to widen the rear wheels for chains. I'd get them from ebay - the ones from your dealer are only about 15/16" and are priced dearly.
You should be able to run just car chains on the front wheels. Toss a bit of weight in the FEL, and give them a try.

UWAdventurer

Equipment
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
I will give all those ideas a try.

I thought the handle next to the fender adjusted the height of the rear blade, i will try to lock it with the handle under the seat. I thought the handle under the seat was to adjust how fast the 3ph goes up and down. I will check Ebay for chains as a last resort, especially if I will have to get wheel spacers.

The dealer said he didn't think the tire change would make that much difference in my situation, and yes, he has been to my house and seen my driveway. My truck doesn't like it either and needs 4 wheel drive to get up it in the winter. My car on the other hand with snow tires goes right up it, go figure...

I mainly made the tractor switch to get the back hoe, I use it for tree removal and yard work. I have a little over 8 acres with about 4 acres of woods. I need to install some culvert pipe under my driveway also. It has been great until I needed it for snow removal.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. City boy with a tractor, always trying to learn.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Yes, the knob under the seat is to slow it down on the way down. But it will also stop it completely. That might help, if something else is wrong. My two tractors held their position nicely.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You shouldn't have to use the knob under the seat for regular operation. I have the drop speed where I want it to be and mine hasn't been changed in years. The control lever beside the seat should be all you need to use to control the implement height.

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
Have you tried plowing with the blade turned around? Ive got three inches of fresh gravel on mine so I plow this way. It moves the snow just fine and it floats over the gravel.

One more thing try shortening the top link, the longer the top link is will make it dig harder.

Last edited:

UWAdventurer

Equipment
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
I have tried the blade forward & backward, and I would try upside down if I thought it would help. LOL Backward is a little better. I will give the PVC a try for sure.

Thanks for the verification on the under seat knob, that is what I thought.

Thanks everyone.