Rear Remotes for LX2610 with Backhoe & 3rd function already installed

bigmarley98

Equipment
LX2610
Dec 3, 2022
Gays Mills, Wisconsin
Long post, but bear with me, I want to add rear remotes to my LX2610. I have done some research and think I have the right solution, but want to run it by folks before I do. Important to note that I already have both a backhoe (BH77) and a Kubota 3rd function valve installed.

There is a power beyond port on the loader valve that is normally piped right back in to Tank as you would expect. With the 3rd function only, this pipe is removed and the new hook up would go PB -> 3rd Function -> Tank. With the Backhoe only the pipe would be removed and it would go PB -> Backhoe -> Tank. With the backhoe not attached, you connect the two lines that normally go to the BH77 together to complete the circuit.

Since I have both, it goes PB -> 3rd Function -> Backhoe -> Tank. Attach the two backhoe hoses when not in use to complete the circuit. Now I want to add a rear remote.

The way I see it there are three options (spoiler alert - I think I want to go option 3).

Option 1:

From what I have researched, Kubota sells a rear remote kit with manual levers that pop into a tray in the tractor. So how do these remotes get power? There is what appears to be another PB port, that is essentially a diamond plate that covers two lines, and normaly ports power to tank, but you remove it, and attach stackable valves to it. You can do up to two valves and one of those can be a float valve. These are manual valves and the levers integrate into the fender tray.

Pros: Kubota Kit, Plugs into an existing port, levers that integrate into Kubota design, option for a float valve, whole unit is out of the way, tucked under the fender,.

Cons: Max is two cylinders you can control (can’t add more - not enough room). Once you get the valves and levers it is about $1,800 - $2,000.

Option 2:

Instead of using the Kubota Kit, I could get a kit from Summit (or someone else, doesn’t matter) but I would need power. I mentioned the additional power source that is covered by a diamond shaped plate in option 1. Kubota also sells a conversion plate, that you replace the cover plate with. It has two ports ( a P and a T) that could be used to power the summit (or other) unit.

Pros: The summit unit (for two rear remotes) is $850 and the Kubota conversion plate is about $250. For another $150 I can get three instead of two rear remotes.

Cons: Summit has no option for a float directional control valve. The valves are attached to the ROPs, not hidden beneath the fender. The summit system is an electrical switch box that has to be attached somewhere, not levers that are integrated into the LX fender. Electrical valves don't hold as well from what I have read.

Option 3:

Skip using the extra power port on the kubota. The outlet (tank line ) of the 3rd function would go to the P port of the rear remote. The Outlet (tank line ) of the rear remote would go to the Backhoe. The current Backhoe Tank line would stay as is. So the routing is PB -> 3rd Function -> Rear Remote -> Backhoe -> Tank

Pros: No conversation kit necessary, but would have to run some new lines. Cheapest, and maybe easiest option.

Cons: Same as option 2.

——————————

Summary:

The Way I look at it is that option 3 makes the most sense. While I can’t get a float valve (at least with summit) I am not sure that is that important. I also have the option to go 3 or 4 valves (for more money) if I want. Option 2 is only slightly more expensive than option 3 but has no real advantages.

My Questions
- Is Option 3 viable? (Take return/tank line from 3rd function to P port of rear remotes, return/T line of rear remotes goes to P port for backhoe)?
- I am looking at top and tilt, so thinking I just need two cylinders, does anyone end up really needing three? I don’t have a hydraulic blade but maybe that is where it would be nice to have three. Any other attachments you need three for?
- How important is a float valve vs being able to get three or more valves? While it might be nice I just don’t see being able float the top or side link that important. At least important enough to spend an extra $1000. I could be wrong here.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Long post, but bear with me, I want to add rear remotes to my LX2610. I have done some research and think I have the right solution, but want to run it by folks before I do. Important to note that I already have both a backhoe (BH77) and a Kubota 3rd function valve installed.

There is a power beyond port on the loader valve that is normally piped right back in to Tank as you would expect. With the 3rd function only, this pipe is removed and the new hook up would go PB -> 3rd Function -> Tank. With the Backhoe only the pipe would be removed and it would go PB -> Backhoe -> Tank. With the backhoe not attached, you connect the two lines that normally go to the BH77 together to complete the circuit.

Since I have both, it goes PB -> 3rd Function -> Backhoe -> Tank. Attach the two backhoe hoses when not in use to complete the circuit. Now I want to add a rear remote.

The way I see it there are three options (spoiler alert - I think I want to go option 3).

Option 1:

From what I have researched, Kubota sells a rear remote kit with manual levers that pop into a tray in the tractor. So how do these remotes get power? There is what appears to be another PB port, that is essentially a diamond plate that covers two lines, and normaly ports power to tank, but you remove it, and attach stackable valves to it. You can do up to two valves and one of those can be a float valve. These are manual valves and the levers integrate into the fender tray.

Pros: Kubota Kit, Plugs into an existing port, levers that integrate into Kubota design, option for a float valve, whole unit is out of the way, tucked under the fender,.

Cons: Max is two cylinders you can control (can’t add more - not enough room). Once you get the valves and levers it is about $1,800 - $2,000.

Option 2:

Instead of using the Kubota Kit, I could get a kit from Summit (or someone else, doesn’t matter) but I would need power. I mentioned the additional power source that is covered by a diamond shaped plate in option 1. Kubota also sells a conversion plate, that you replace the cover plate with. It has two ports ( a P and a T) that could be used to power the summit (or other) unit.

Pros: The summit unit (for two rear remotes) is $850 and the Kubota conversion plate is about $250. For another $150 I can get three instead of two rear remotes.

Cons: Summit has no option for a float directional control valve. The valves are attached to the ROPs, not hidden beneath the fender. The summit system is an electrical switch box that has to be attached somewhere, not levers that are integrated into the LX fender. Electrical valves don't hold as well from what I have read.

Option 3:

Skip using the extra power port on the kubota. The outlet (tank line ) of the 3rd function would go to the P port of the rear remote. The Outlet (tank line ) of the rear remote would go to the Backhoe. The current Backhoe Tank line would stay as is. So the routing is PB -> 3rd Function -> Rear Remote -> Backhoe -> Tank

Pros: No conversation kit necessary, but would have to run some new lines. Cheapest, and maybe easiest option.

Cons: Same as option 2.

——————————

Summary:

The Way I look at it is that option 3 makes the most sense. While I can’t get a float valve (at least with summit) I am not sure that is that important. I also have the option to go 3 or 4 valves (for more money) if I want. Option 2 is only slightly more expensive than option 3 but has no real advantages.

My Questions
- Is Option 3 viable? (Take return/tank line from 3rd function to P port of rear remotes, return/T line of rear remotes goes to P port for backhoe)?
- I am looking at top and tilt, so thinking I just need two cylinders, does anyone end up really needing three? I don’t have a hydraulic blade but maybe that is where it would be nice to have three. Any other attachments you need three for?
- How important is a float valve vs being able to get three or more valves? While it might be nice I just don’t see being able float the top or side link that important. At least important enough to spend an extra $1000. I could be wrong here.
First let's correct a major misconception. The PB line on your loader NEVER goes to tank. With nothing else on the tractor it goes to the 3pt control valve.

Here is what you want and what you get with either OEM remotes or your option 3 when properly plumbed. I dont think your OEM kit will actually work with the backhoe installed.

LA525 with 3rd Function remotes and Backhoe.png

Last edited:

bigmarley98

Equipment
LX2610
Dec 3, 2022
Gays Mills, Wisconsin
Thanks - yes, I should have included that - I did know the outlet goes to the 3pt first. Yes, and it makes sense there really wont be enough power for the remotes when the backhoe is on, but that is OK.

I am using the Summit hydraulic block kit (link below). It looks like it has two work ports, P & T, that would typically have plugs in them. So I would unblock at least the P port and run to the backhoes, and I am assuming also unplug the T port and run the backhoe return there, then the return on the block back to the outlet block.

One question though, my understanding is that that with the work ports plugged on the hydraulic block, there is actually a connection between them internally in the block to keep the open center circuit going when valves are closed, and that to use the work ports you have to somehow plug this internal connection - is that correct?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks - yes, I should have included that - I did know the outlet goes to the 3pt first. Yes, and it makes sense there really wont be enough power for the remotes when the backhoe is on, but that is OK.

I am using the Summit hydraulic block kit (link below). It looks like it has two work ports, P & T, that would typically have plugs in them. So I would unblock at least the P port and run to the backhoes, and I am assuming also unplug the T port and run the backhoe return there, then the return on the block back to the outlet block.

One question though, my understanding is that that with the work ports plugged on the hydraulic block, there is actually a connection between them internally in the block to keep the open center circuit going when valves are closed, and that to use the work ports you have to somehow plug this internal connection - is that correct?
We need to clean up the nomencature:

P and T are not work ports. P is an inlet port that receives pressure and T is an outlet port that returns the inlet flow to tank.

The work ports are the ports that connect the valve to the actuators - e.g. cylinders or motors.

A normal open center double acting valve has 4 ports - an inlet (P), an outlet (T), and two work ports (A1, B1). When the valve is in neutral oil coming in on P goes straight through and out via T. Noting goes to A1 or B1. When the valve is operated to send inlet oil to one of the work ports (A1) the flow goes out A1, the return oil comes back on B1, and from there exits on T.

A valve with power beyond has 5 ports - an inlet P, an outlet to tank (T), a second outlet to a downstream valve (PB), and two work ports (A1, B1). When the valvw is in neutral oil coming in on P goes straight through and out on PB to the downstream valve. When it is shifted the incoming oil on P goes out on A1, return oil comes back on B1, PB is blocked, and return oil from B1 goes out on T.

The Summit kit you linked does not have a power beyond port and T is used for PB. That works but can create unwanted and potentially dangerous interactions between valves and cylinders.

A proper way to do that is to use a valve with both power beyond and tank outlets.

These valves come with three outlets all of which can go to tank. To convert them to power beyond you install a power beyond sleeve in the port labeled N.. That isolates N from the other two outlet ports and it acts as I described above eliminating those unwanted interactions.

The Summit manual P40 valves can be configured with multiple spools,, float, detents, spring center, motor spools etc and are a lot less expensive.

Dan

Generic loader 33rd function remotes and backhoe.png

Mikeymotorbikey

Equipment
B2601
Jun 30, 2022
North Branch, Minnesota
I have a B2601 and was going down a similar road a while ago. I was headed towards your option 1 because it was more integrated. After research, the $$ amount and complaints about Kubota's stack valves leaking made me go option 3.

I was leaning towards using the aux. power ports when Dan corrected me. This is an unnecessary $250 spent. Just tap into the PB line.

I now have a 3rd function solenoid valve mounted low and behind the rear axle, a 3 spool valve mounted on the right fender/ROPs and a 2 spool valve mounted in the near stock location.
The 3 spool valve powers my top, tilt, and mower deck lift. The 2 spool will be plumbed to QDs at the rear of the tractor, for whatever. Dump trailer, blade angle, etc.

The key is the daisy chain as above, P Port in, PB port out to the next valve, T ports from the valves tied together and tee'd in to the original loader tank line.

bigmarley98

Equipment
LX2610
Dec 3, 2022
Gays Mills, Wisconsin
Thanks, that makes much more sense, especially the fact that the kit is not configured for true PB. It also makes sens that the Manual valves have a port (N) that is used to get PB working on them. Thanks for the info - very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
We need to clean up the nomencature:

P and T are not work ports. P is an inlet port that receives pressure and T is an outlet port that returns the inlet flow to tank.

The work ports are the ports that connect the valve to the actuators - e.g. cylinders or motors.

A normal open center double acting valve has 4 ports - an inlet (P), an outlet (T), and two work ports (A1, B1). When the valve is in neutral oil coming in on P goes straight through and out via T. Noting goes to A1 or B1. When the valve is operated to send inlet oil to one of the work ports (A1) the flow goes out A1, the return oil comes back on B1, and from there exits on T.

A valve with power beyond has 5 ports - an inlet P, an outlet to tank (T), a second outlet to a downstream valve (PB), and two work ports (A1, B1). When the valvw is in neutral oil coming in on P goes straight through and out on PB to the downstream valve. When it is shifted the incoming oil on P goes out on A1, return oil comes back on B1, PB is blocked, and return oil from B1 goes out on T.

The Summit kit you linked does not have a power beyond port and T is used for PB. That works but can create unwanted and potentially dangerous interactions between valves and cylinders.

A proper way to do that is to use a valve with both power beyond and tank outlets.

These valves come with three outlets all of which can go to tank. To convert them to power beyond you install a power beyond sleeve in the port labeled N.. That isolates N from the other two outlet ports and it acts as I described above eliminating those unwanted interactions.

The Summit manual P40 valves can be configured with multiple spools,, float, detents, spring center, motor spools etc and are a lot less expensive.

Dan

View attachment 128022
Dan, do you have a diagram for installing rear remotes on an L2501 with Kubota loader valve + LP 3rd function using the Summit P40 Valve?

Would it be basically the same as the above diagram with port "N" plugged?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, do you have a diagram for installing rear remotes on an L2501 with Kubota loader valve + LP 3rd function using the Summit P40 Valve?

Would it be basically the same as the above diagram with port "N" plugged?
You still have to use the N port wuth a power beyond sleeve.

LA525 with 3rd Function and P40 remotes.png

Last edited: