Rear blade.....takes practice

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So we finally had our first 'real' snowfall yesterday. It wasn't a substantial amount and it was pretty wet snow so I used my 5' rear blade instead of the old blower I bought this summer.

Its my first winter with the tractor and it seems that it takes some practice to do a good job. My lane-way is almost exactly 420m long and my yard at the house is about 120' x 55'. It took me almost 2 hours to clear it all with that 5' blade. I wish it could be offset a bit. That would make pushing it off the sides much easier.

Also, the blade is a cheaper variety im guessing. The blade itself doesn't attach to the hitch like most ive seen (tube inside tube). It is basically slid onto a piece of rod steel which makes for some unwanted movements on the ends. Up and down travel if you can understand what I mean.

Anyone have any tips for using the blade? It almost seemed easier to push the snow up near the house rather than pull it.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I push the snow with the blade (backing up) rather than try to pull it, I also leave the blade in it's normal forward position while doing so. Yeah, you leave just a little snow that way, but you will also be able to float it on the drive and leave most your stone in place. The down side is having to look over your shoulder.
A 1/4 mile driveway??? I'd probably try to angle the blade, like on a snow plow truck, and plow starting in the center and roll it to the outside. If that 1/4 mile is paved you could turn the blade right way around and it would roll it out to the edge better. 'Course that is for just a modest snow fall. Deep stuff and you're stuck with the old back and forth.
I have a 36 inch blower for a cub tractor that in all honesty does a really great job at moving snow, I can put it 20 feet out in the yard with out running the tractor in the yard and scalping things up or making tracks. Today though, the Kubota and the blade got the call 'cause I've been too lazy to put the blower on the little tractor.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Any chance you can put up some pictures and let us see what it is your dealing with. Maybe we can take a peek at it and help come up with ideas on how to set it up better and move more snow faster.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know the neat thing i have found about the rear blade,,,,,,,,
is that what what ever you tear up,, you get go back and fix and play some more!!!
See how much fun these Bota tractors can be???
Does the fun ever end:D

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Ya know the neat thing i have found about the rear blade,,,,,,,,
is that what what ever you tear up,, you get go back and fix and play some more!!!
See how much fun these Bota tractors can be???
Does the fun ever end:D
Yeah when you really break it badly!!!! After a few days you can have fun again putting it back together.

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I do the about 3/4 of a mile at the hunting cabin with my L3010, rear blade, and loader. The easiest way I have found is to shift the three point hitch to the the right side as far as possible, without having it hit the rear tire. Then angle the blade to roll the snow to the right ditch. Then drive forward. Pushing rearward is too hard on the neck. This year I had some adjustable "feet" made for the rear side of the blade. Kinda like on pick-up mounted snow plow. Should help keep the gravel on the road, and the grass from being scalped in my field.

Bob

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Well although going backwards is not ideal for long periods of time I have found that it does clear the snow from the banks much better.

If I go down the lane way twice (down and then back up) fairly close to the middle, just to get the snow over to the sides, and then do down and back up again backwards it pushes the banks back much better.

I think I'll try and sell my blade and spend the extra cash on a six foot adjustable blade that can be offset. Got the blower, but I just can't see attaching for 10cm of snow

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk