RCW Tapping Maple Trees

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
RCW
I have 7 small maple trees I have been tapping and get enough syrup for our own use. It's forecast to be in the 50s for at least the next week and may even stay above freezing at night. It should be in the 20s this time of year and the 50s should arrive in April. My question is do I start tapping now or do I wait and assume/hope winter returns and plan on tapping around late March and April as normal. I know the date can vary and the tapping is normally when day time temperatures are above freezing and night time is below freezing.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Larry -

I would go ahead. Warm spell coming here, too. Apt to be a good run coming.

Guys around here are tapping like mad. Some were making syrup in January, but haven't had a good run in a couple weeks.

If you're using plastic 5/16" taps, they seem to remain viable for quite a while - couple months maybe.

The 7/16" steel taps w/ buckets won't run as long, but I'd bet 4-6 weeks or so before they seal up.

I don't think I'm tapping this year - too many other projects to attend to.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Lucky guys, wish I had some sugar maples I could try and tap

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Lucky guys, wish I had some sugar maples I could try and tap
Skeets - any kind of maple will make syrup.

Sugar maples just have a little higher sugar content than Red, Norway, Silver, Box Elder, or others. But they'll all make some pretty good syrup.

Give it a shot sometime!

Might be too late for you already - we just came back from daughter's place in Philly. 60+ degrees and no snow. Even saw a couple street trees in blossom!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How big do they have to be to tap?
Yeah its warm here too and going to be in the 50s and 60s for the next 10days,, I figure the fruit tree will bud and then if gona freeze and kill all the buds, and I will have to BUY apples and they will probably come from mexico

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Our 6 Red Maple trees are about 8" diameter. A little on the small side for good sap production, but we get enough syrup for our own use. Boiling down 20 to 30 gallons of sap to get 2 to 3 quarts of syrup is enough of a project for me each year anyway. However, the taste of your own maple syrup does make it all worth the effort. It probably gets easier as you go bigger like RCW as you can afford to buy/build better equipment and facilities. I just make due with a couple of propane burners and aluminum pots.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Skeets - any kind of maple will make syrup.

Sugar maples just have a little higher sugar content than Red, Norway, Silver, Box Elder, or others. But they'll all make some pretty good syrup.

Give it a shot sometime!

Might be too late for you already - we just came back from daughter's place in Philly. 60+ degrees and no snow. Even saw a couple street trees in blossom!
Norway maple is from Europe and it has a white milky juice instead of a clear sap. I think one of my books says its bitter. Sugar Maple is weak but sweet when you try some right off the tree, if Norway isn't I wouldn't mix the two.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Norway maple is from Europe and it has a white milky juice instead of a clear sap. I think one of my books says its bitter. Sugar Maple is weak but sweet when you try some right off the tree, if Norway isn't I wouldn't mix the two.

David - I have never tapped a Norway or box elder, but I did check the MapleTrader forum to make sure I wasn't giving bad advice.

Found this user quote (wasn't me) from that forum, and a professor from my Alma Mater - ESF. Several guys said they use Norways without issue.

Figure the MapleTrader guys are more expert than me - college was a LONG TIME ago!:eek:

In the book, "Trees of the Eastern and Central United States and Canada" by William M. Harlow, in the remarks under the Silver Maple section is this paragraph:

"Michaux states that a whiter, 'more tasty' sugar is made from the soft maples than from sugar maple but that from the same amount of sap, only about one-half as much sugar is obtained."

So, while the latter part of that statement is completely dependent upon sugar content of the sap, the first part about the sugar being whiter and more tasty is interesting.

So, sure! tap the Norways. Even the box elders. They ARE maples, one and all. Enjoy, and if you can, compare and see for yourself if Mr. Michaux was right.

BTW, Dr. William Harlow was Professor of Wood Technology, Emeritus, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY. Better known to us around here as "ESF." Just thought that was interesting.

I did notice it talks about the "white" you saw in your book, too.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It probably gets easier as you go bigger like RCW as you can afford to buy/build better equipment and facilities. I just make due with a couple of propane burners and aluminum pots.
Larry - -

Much like you, I only do about 20-30 taps, and boil over propane in 3 steamtable pans. Pretty low-tech, but enjoy it so much. I hope to make 5 gallons years I do boil - any excess sap I give to a neighbor.

I have several friends that are in it big - 1,000 taps plus. Heard a couple brothers are in at 15,000 taps. Those guys evaporate more water PER HOUR than I collect sap in a year.

Skeets - like Larry said - 12" is good for 1 tap. 8" is small, but works fine for what Larry is doing.

Some guys are into tapping saplings - I know a guys that has a grove of 100 or more 3-4" trees all tapped - not sure I'd do that.....

Last edited: