Rcr 1248 lands pride

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
I picked up a hard used 48 lands pride . Looks like it was abused pretty hard . . Either they bent a blade or wedged a rock . Deck has a crease through in some cases where the blade scraped through. Output side looks like it was backed into trees multiple times .

We repaired the deck . Braced the deck with angle iron for support . Cut out the trailing edge straightened and rewelded. New blades ,bolts . Changed gear oil . Gearbox seems pretty solid no play no bumps and no grinding .

While at my Kubota dealer picking up blades I told him what I picked up . He rolled his eyes and told me he didnt recommend that for my 2670 as it has a shear pin drive and not the clutch. Told me that if I hit something big it could damage pto . I asked about adding a clutch and said putting a driveline clutch is not recommended .

Ok so anybody using a shearpin drive on a 2670 ... thoughts ?... its half inch grade 8 shearpin as recommended in the manual.

I have a total of 400 bucks into this with parts and gear oil. I know I can sell it and make a pretty good profit . But its definitely better made than the ones I'm seeing now .

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The only problem in adding the slip clutch is making sure that is making sure that it is adjusted correctly and does not get rusty.

If you are worried about the PTO being damaged I would try using a grade 2 bolt instead of the grade 8. Then keep some extra shear bolts on hand.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I totally agree with BigG, slip clutches need maintenance to be checked and set each year. I use my brush hogs infrequently and learned the hard way when my son destroyed the gearbox on a Woods BB72X with my MX5800, luckily it was the cutter that was damaged and not the tractor. I replaced the cutter gearbox and the PTO shaft but had to reluctantly have another slip clutch.

Shear bolts are cheap and quick, you may think it was inconvenient at the time of replacement but that is nothing compared to what a rusted badly maintained slip clutch can cost in money and time.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have an RCR1242, most of the ones available locally were slip clutches but i did not want to deal with slip clutch maintenance for the few times a year it gets used. I found one with shear pin and it works fine. If it breaks just put a new pin in, it takes 5 minutes. The shear pin on my unit has grooves in it, not sure what grade it is, but it came with kubota part number.

Last edited: