Ratchet Rake vs Piranha bar on BX-1870

KJoeZ61

Equipment
BX1870
Jun 20, 2018
Northampton, Pa
Just got the FEL for my BX-1870 and I'm debating between the Ratchet Rake or Piranha bar. I need to do some clearing we have an acre and a half so its a good size residential property. Like the piranha idea to just leave it on and use the bucket. Any comments between the two would be appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Personally - despite being a very similar product - they are inherently different.

IF I was going to scrape gravel, dirt, pine needles or something - the Ratchet rake would be ideal! It is not a true digging tool - it can scratch and remove layers of top easily and I would say it will do it far better than the PTB.

The down side to the RR is that it is NOT a digging tool - it is a removal tool for something that is laying on a surface. Also - when you want to load the bucket with material it must be removed.

The PTB is a digging tool, it too can back-drag (not as well) as the RR but it's digging capabilities are unmatched.

I have had the PTB on my BX for 5 years......I cannot imagine NOT having it!
I have dug, dragged and cut and trimmed and you name it - it has performed perfectly.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
And the PTB is okay for a light tractor like a BX-1870?
Shoot yeah !

When you "dig" into a pile of gravel or dirt, the regular blade edge must dig into the object all at once, the serrations of the PTB make this 5 times easier to do.

Overall - it magnifies the hydraulic force of the FEL by placing more force on a smaller point at a time.

Once you use it - even on a 1870 - you will find it to be invaluable.;)

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I have had the PTB on my BX for 5 years......I cannot imagine NOT having it!
I have dug, dragged and cut and trimmed and you name it - it has performed perfectly.
Agree. I can't think of any limitations the PTB creates by leaving it on all the time. I never anticipated how much I would dig when I purchased my tractor.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I have a PTB on my BX1870. One thing I liked about it was the fact that it only had two bolts to mess with to put it on or take it off. Turns out that really does not matter. I had about 50 hours on the 1870 before I got my tooth bar. After installing it and using it for a variety of tasks, I have not found ANY reason to not have it on there!

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I had about 50 hours on the 1870 before I got my tooth bar. After installing it and using it for a variety of tasks, I have not found ANY reason to not have it on there!
Another highly satisfied Piranha Bar / BX1870 owner. I keep mine on even when using my clamp on forks--they still clamp just fine for my purposes, usually just moving brush.

The only time I take my PB off is winter for snow removal when I'm using Edge Tamers to keep from gouging my gravel drive. Pretty sure the Edge Tamers won't clamp solidly on with the PB in place. But, as Ramos says, the PB is pretty dang easy to remove/replace.

KJoeZ61

Equipment
BX1870
Jun 20, 2018
Northampton, Pa
Well I ordered the PTB and it came the other day. I haven't used it yet the weather here is horrible but I'm impressed! This is a serious attachment!