R4 Tire Repair

allanwms

Equipment
L3901
Aug 2, 2014
Culpeper, V
I punctured a front tire (R4)on my L3901 (w/FEL) while bush hogging. The tire flattened and the bead separated from the rim. The item that punctured the tire was an old pair of scissors (odd). It gashed the tire about half an inch at the top center of the tire.

Is this too large for an inside patch? Should I go with a tube instead? Or will I need to replace the tire? 27x8.50-15 $150 mail order. My tractor has about 150 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Not a tire expert but I have seen similar smaller holes or cuts plugged and aired backup. Would think a patch would work if its not on a area where the sidewall is flexing.

Do you have a front end loader on the tractor ? Might make a difference on responses.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I had something similar happen to the front tire on my MX after maybe 50 hours. Kissed a jagged rock on the sidewall, and that was all she wrote. Took the tire to Les Schwab, and they put an inner tube in it, and it's been fine over the past 150 hours

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

allanwms

Equipment
L3901
Aug 2, 2014
Culpeper, V
Not a tire expert but I have seen similar smaller holes or cuts plugged and aired backup. Would think a patch would work if its not on a area where the sidewall is flexing.

Do you have a front end loader on the tractor ? Might make a difference on responses.

Yes...tractor has a FEL. The hole is in the top center of the tire.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I punctured a front tire (R4)on my L3901 (w/FEL) while bush hogging. The tire flattened and the bead separated from the rim. The item that punctured the tire was an old pair of scissors (odd). It gashed the tire about half an inch at the top center of the tire.

Is this too large for an inside patch? Should I go with a tube instead? Or will I need to replace the tire? 27x8.50-15 $150 mail order. My tractor has about 150 hours.

Can't say without visually inspecting but if in the tread area, it can probably be booted.

Take it to a tire shop that services tractor tires.

SDT