Quicktach plate-mounted "scratcher" to clean up gravel ribbon driveway

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
The trees that line the drive are Siberian elms, which I love. They were planted in the early 60's by a former owner and his kids and they're pretty old, as elms go, so there's no way we wanted to take any chances with anything that might harm them in any way - the trees have outlived the folks that planted them.

Thanks for all for your suggestions - I really liked the idea of removing the center tines on a landscape rake, but I don't have one and even used ones were beyond the budget for this project.

Got back from the scrapyard with ~60 pounds of metal - 2 pieces of angle for my gravelscratcher and the rest was ornamental scrap for wife and a friend's garden decor - less than $25 for the metal - well within the budget.

Of course, I wanted to check out the piece of 4" x 6" x 5/16" angle as soon as I got home - the short-lived V 2.0 - took a couple of 6" c-clamps and clamped it to the bucket. Scratched about 6' of one ribbon, but when I put downward pressure on it, I bent both c-clamps.

But for my impatience, I should have just gone with Version 3.0 - 4 x 6 angle bolted through the bucket (four 3/8" bolts) and through 2" angle below the bucket for some extra strength. I took the angle grinder to the bottom edge of the 6 x 4 angle to give it a tapered leading edge.

Finished it up today and did a test scratch - worked just fine - was able to handle downward pressure for aggressive scratching! By adjusting bucket curl and using float or downward pressure and since I'm doing one ribbon at a time, it's pretty easy to control. I don't need that much downward pressure - front wheels nowhere near leaving the ground. I'll pick up some Grade 8 bolts of the right length when I'm in town - for now I just used what I had on hand. Photos of V 2.0 & V 3.0 below. Now to put this to work and get the drive cleaned up!

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
The trees that line the drive are Siberian elms, which I love. They were planted in the early 60's by a former owner and his kids and they're pretty old, as elms go, so there's no way we wanted to take any chances with anything that might harm them in any way - the trees have outlived the folks that planted them.

Thanks for all for your suggestions - I really liked the idea of removing the center tines on a landscape rake, but I don't have one and even used ones were beyond the budget for this project.

Got back from the scrapyard with ~60 pounds of metal - 2 pieces of angle for my gravelscratcher and the rest was ornamental scrap for wife and a friend's garden decor - less than $25 for the metal - well within the budget.

Of course, I wanted to check out the piece of 4" x 6" x 5/16" angle as soon as I got home - the short-lived V 2.0 - took a couple of 6" c-clamps and clamped it to the bucket. Scratched about 6' of one ribbon, but when I put downward pressure on it, I bent both c-clamps.

But for my impatience, I should have just gone with Version 3.0 - 4 x 6 angle bolted through the bucket (four 3/8" bolts) and through 2" angle below the bucket for some extra strength. I took the angle grinder to the bottom edge of the 6 x 4 angle to give it a tapered leading edge.

Finished it up today and did a test scratch - worked just fine - was able to handle downward pressure for aggressive scratching! By adjusting bucket curl and using float or downward pressure and since I'm doing one ribbon at a time, it's pretty easy to control. I don't need that much downward pressure - front wheels nowhere near leaving the ground. I'll pick up some Grade 8 bolts of the right length when I'm in town - for now I just used what I had on hand. Photos of V 2.0 & V 3.0 below. Now to put this to work and get the drive cleaned up!
Just for another option or ideas for mounting, look up 'ratchet rake'.
With your score of angle iron you could make something similar.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I would be concerned about using the FEL as you have it configured..........so..........have you considered a 3 point reversible dirt scoop such as this? You can pick them up used for a reasonable price.

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Since it's mounted, working good and no problems with tearing up FEL or bucket, I'm calling this project completed. I do appreciate the suggestions - as you can tell, a frugality reality check caused me to go from the original SSQA plate configuration to $10 worth of bolted-on piece angle iron. Every once in a while, you luck into mission shrink ...

Thanks again to the OT brain trust for suggestions and comments. I did like the landscape rake idea, but have already spent my limit for the year - waiting for my EA wicked grapple to arrive. I checked out the Ratchet Rake website - thanks for the info on that - they've got a poly snow blade that I might incorporate in the future. I also liked the King Kutter reversible pond scoop, but seems like a hydraulic top link would be essential to eliminate a lot of hopping off & on the tractor to adjust - top & tilt is on the wish list - just not in this year's budget.