Quick yoke malfunction

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
The quick yoke to my mower deck is not working well, if at all. I can’t get the mower shaft connected to the pto because the ball bearings won’t all collapse at the same time. When I pull back the outside housing it doesn’t seem to seat properly. New parts are $350. Anyone with a suggestion on how I might repair this side from buying the new part? This is a 20 year old bx23 and 60 inch deck.
IMG_4077.jpeg

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
Would 100% take it apart and find the cause. however I am a gearhead and previous tech. Likely just dry and possibly rusty.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Don't try to disassemble it because you will never get it back together correctly. Soak the end in a 1-gallon paint can filled with gasoline. Swish it around after it has been soaking for a while. Eventually, you will get all the grease and grime off of it. You can get a clean 1-gallon paint car from Sherwin Williams and while you are there, buy a couple of cheap bristle paint brushes to brush away the grime. That is how I cleaned mine on my BX22. Once clean, grease the joint and spray some light penetration oil inside of the coupling. It will work like it did 20 years ago. Right now it is suffering from old dried grease and grime preventing it from working correctly.

Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Actually - I would DO exactly what Dusty said - DO NOT take apart, soak it and soak it some more!

Agitation is the key - shake and bake and pull the collar - let go repeat!

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
I sprayed it with brake cleaner, soaked it in gas, then sprayed it real good with the brake cleaner again. It did clean up, and was easier to work, but I still could not get it in the pto shaft enough to lock it on , with my hands. The housing is kind of banged up. I was able to lever it in with a pry bar. So, a partial fix. I only install and remove the mower deck once a year so I’ll see if the lever hack works next year but I might break down and just buy the new yoke.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Make sure that it is secured, because if it comes loose it can do a lot of damage. I would have soaked it for another day and been tapping it with a hammer to work everything loose.

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
Make sure that it is secured, because if it comes loose it can do a lot of damage. I would have soaked it for another day and been tapping it with a hammer to work everything loose.
Yes, that’s why the hosting is dinged up a bit because i thought I had it on but then it came loose, smacked the transmission filter and broke it. It’s an awkward connection to make, over the mower deck. I ended up driving the back of the tractor up in some car ramps to get underneath to get a better look and more working space. In the end I still worked from the side of the tractor with the pry bar.

i can give it another soak in the fall when i take the deck off. It probably should be regular maintenance for this part at this point. Thanks for everyone’s help!

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Spray some penetrating oil onto the shaft to keep it from rusting over the summer while you are cutting grass. Who knows, it might make it a little easier to get it off in the fall.