Questions for a new owner-to-be (L2501)

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8
It will defiantly roll it down the road, no question there. It will even feel good when you step on the gas. I did it with a similar set up, around 7500lbs with the trailer and cargo. I also have trailer brakes usually set at 8-10 for gain. What they are not telling you is that this is a huge strain on your driveline, and rear suspension. You are essentially doubling the weight of your truck. It's like saying I can ride my dirtbike off the roof of my house and stick the landing. This may work, just not every time. Eventually something will break (in my case 2nd gear slipping on a 2013 f150 5.0). I agree for occasional short hauls, no problem. Longer trips on a regular basis, buyer be ware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZbX8giqnJA

Mike makes good points here. I prefer chain binders especially since I paid nearly 20k for my machine.
The guy has some good points but he almost unweighted the rear of his truck enough for it to take off down that hill. He needs trailer ramps like these and chocks if he's going to load pointed downhill.

Not my sons trailer but his Hudson Brothers equipment trailer has these and only allow the trailer to go down so far in the rear when loading.

As fas as the Tundra pulling it, no problem my wife has a Tundra CrewMax 5.7 4x4 and has towed as much as 8500# with not one problem.
This right at 8500# of trailer and large square bales.

firefighterjohn809

Dec 1, 2017
Plymouth, IN
Can you share some of your dimensions and specs? Looks like you have two boards together on the vertical support but what about the base? Are your 'T's one inch shorter than the distance from bottom of trailer to the ground(on level surface). Did you lag bolt the pieces together? Looks like a great inexpensive solution.

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
the Tundra is overbuilt to 3/4 ton sized components
True statement. The towing capacity of my Tundra is 10,400 lbs. I consider it a heavy duty half ton only because it isn't diesel powered. I haul my L4701 with filled tires to the shop without a thought. Still waiting for a full size Toyota diesel to come out so I don't have to pay someone to haul the M5 for me...:-(

Last edited:

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I bought a trailer last month to haul my tractors (MX4800 and BX266), and have used it about a dozen times so far. Here are a couple of things I have learned that may help you:

1. Double check everything just before you take off. Do a Walk Around the trailer checking everything.
2. Stop after a mile or so, and do another walk around, just to make sure everything is still tight.
3. Keep a large bag of zip ties in your truck, zip tie the chain binders closed, chains wrapped around them tend to vibrate loose, zip ties are cheap and secure.
4. I load my tractor on the trailer, put a chain across the front and fastened down, then back the tractor up to snug up the chain nice and tight, then lock the brakes. Then use binder(s) on the back. Simple and easy
5. you can roll your bucket back and stow gear, bags etc in it.
6. Take off your Slow Moving Vehicle Triangle and stow it in your truck. I had one blow off.

And have fun!

M

Attachments

savoy9020

Lifetime Member

Equipment
G1800, L2501 (2016) 5ft LP box 2004 F250 6.0 Lariat Supercrew 2017 1140D RTV, 2
May 25, 2016
Savoy, Texas
CaptMikeM,

Excellent list.

I might add a couple to it:

* Check your trailer lights during your walk-around, make sure you turn/brake, tail lights work. Never know if the wiring got pulled loose or bulb is out.

* Check your truck and trailer tire pressures before you start out, especially if your carrying a heavier load than normal. I run 80 psi in the rear Load Range E tires on my F250 and make sure the trailer tires at rated pressures.

The comment about checking your bindings after a mile or so, is golden. The load will always shift, and it gives you a chance to get another pull on it.

I bought a trailer last month to haul my tractors (MX4800 and BX266), and have used it about a dozen times so far. Here are a couple of things I have learned that may help you:

1. Double check everything just before you take off. Do a Walk Around the trailer checking everything.
2. Stop after a mile or so, and do another walk around, just to make sure everything is still tight.
3. Keep a large bag of zip ties in your truck, zip tie the chain binders closed, chains wrapped around them tend to vibrate loose, zip ties are cheap and secure.
4. I load my tractor on the trailer, put a chain across the front and fastened down, then back the tractor up to snug up the chain nice and tight, then lock the brakes. Then use binder(s) on the back. Simple and easy
5. you can roll your bucket back and stow gear, bags etc in it.
6. Take off your Slow Moving Vehicle Triangle and stow it in your truck. I had one blow off.

And have fun!

M

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I pulled my 2501 about 30-40 miles the other day with my 1/2 ton F150 eco boost V-6 and it pulled great. I hardly knew it was back there.

12horses

Equipment
Kubota M7060
Dec 28, 2017
Prince George
Use chains etc to strap into trailer slow starts and stops, corners. You do have brakes in the trailer?
Its a small tractor so you shouldn't feel too much push.
Check your tire pressure for heavy loads. Look at your springs to see how flat they get.
Build 300 feet off the road, away from the neighbours (middle of the lot?) Draw on paper and use stakes and string.
Have fun. You will love it

12horses

Equipment
Kubota M7060
Dec 28, 2017
Prince George
Right! I put blocks under the back trailer frame so it doesn't lift up the truck. Don't like that.

Find out the weight of tractor to help figure out legal weight.
I haul my Massey 135 on a car trailer with a half ton.

12horses

Equipment
Kubota M7060
Dec 28, 2017
Prince George
Good idea having a list. Attach the trailer and unattach in the same order. Don't let someone help you..or else you will forget to attach something.
Cross the chains, have the hooks facing up. If your chains drag twist to shorten.

Hauling will be ok. And you are only going 30 minutes. Drive at your comfort level
I still don't drive on and off the trailer. Some day.

12horses

Equipment
Kubota M7060
Dec 28, 2017
Prince George
Here we have to use chains. The chain hooks have to go through the 'loop' on the trailer and double back to hook onto the chains. Don't have to some places.

jimr63

Equipment
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Its a half ton truck, it has half ton components
Not to be augmentative, but can you show me where Toyota calls the Tundra a half ton truck? I've never found that in their marketing or owners literature. Her point was that the Tundra has a 10.5" rear end vs. the 9.5" rear end found in most of the other 1/2 ton trucks and the list of heavy duty components goes on from there, i.e. thicker axles, bigger brakes, etc.. It's rated to tow over 10K lbs. which is pretty darn close to what most older 3/4 tons where rated. Todays mid-size trucks like the Tacoma are closer to what we used to call a 1/2 ton pick-up.

Last edited:

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
Not to be augmentative, but can you show me where Toyota calls the Tundra a half ton truck? I've never found that in their marketing or owners literature. Her point was that the Tundra has a 10.5" rear end vs. the 9.5" rear end found in most of the other 1/2 ton trucks and the list of heavy duty components goes on from there, i.e. thicker axles, bigger brakes, etc.. It's rated to tow over 10K lbs. which is pretty darn close to what most older 3/4 tons where rated. Todays mid-size trucks like the Tacoma are closer to what we used to call a 1/2 ton pick-up.
It competes in the half-ton class, when they say 10.5 ring gear is the biggest in its class, they are comparing to other half ton trucks. If you don't make a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, then I guess you don't have to call it a half ton

jimr63

Equipment
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
It competes in the half-ton class, when they say 10.5 ring gear is the biggest in its class, they are comparing to other half ton trucks. If you don't make a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, then I guess you don't have to call it a half ton
True, probably no reason for Toyota to say it's the same size as the Dana 70 used in a lot of 3/4 ton trucks.:rolleyes:

BTW, no one here said that it wasn't a 1/2 ton truck, just that it has some 3/4 ton components to it.

Last edited: