Questions about water jet cutting

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I have a hydraulic sicklebar trimmer (Sabre Samurai) that clamps to the side of the bucket on my loader. Not terribly stiff. In fact, due to the leverage of the mount and the thin sides of my bucket, it flops around like a wounded duck. Plus, clamping it to the bucket puts the weight significantly forward of the loader arms, which doesn't help.

I bought a blank SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) plate that mounts to my loader arms nicely, will pull things a foot or more closer to the tractor and allows for quick mount/dismount versus dicking around with set screws and alignment, etc.

Plan A was to modify the original bracket and weld it to the SSQA which would stiffen things up nicely. However, looking at the bracket, I'd have to chop it up pretty significantly and if it doesn't work or I don't like it, I'm screwed.

A spare fully adjustable mounting bracket with spring loaded break-away (all of which is a requirement) is $400 plus shipping.

I'm wondering if having the relevant pieces cut out on a water jet and weld up a new mount myself would save me any money.

I would need the two pieces with the arced adjustment slots cut in them. It's 10mm steel, but 1/2 inch would be fine.

Two questions:

1. Any clue at all what I should expect to pay? I realize this would vary by area/market but a ballpark figure would be helpful in making a decision. I do have two shops in a reasonable distance that have water jet cutting capability.

2. Do they need a CAD drawing to work from, or can I just leave the original for them to copy. If they need the CAD, it would obviously be cheaper for me to come up with a CAD drawing than to have them do it.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
1> Don't limit yourself top looking a "waterjet" services. Laser and hi-def plasma could cut that very easily. Waterjet is expensive because of the consumables.
1A> My WAG would be $200-$300 for a one-off project. These machines like to run fast and all day, and thats done by loading one blank sheet and and let it go to town, not cut one or two parts.

2> Most will require some sort of drawing file like .dwg, .dxf or similar. Some will take a hand drawn one and draw it in CAD, then ask you to approve it. Some might take your part and model it. But, all this will significantly add to the price for a one-off project.

Reactions: 1 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
If you can generate the cad drawing, getting an estimate will be a snap. Most shops have software that will load your drawing and provide the cost of cutting it right down to the penny. dxf is the preferred file and any decent cad program will convert to this file.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You really won't save any money, having the two 'arched' pieces custom cut at any fab shop. Any 'drawing' you can supply will have to be 'tweaked' by the shops 'IT' guy after it's put into the computer. Sa that's an hour ( poof...$100 ), then there's the actual material cost (poof another $100), and the time to cut,verify and box up (poof another $100) and a wee bit of profit for the shop (poof the last $100).
and.... you NEED all the other bits NOT just the two arched pieces....cost goes up...
so
better to buy the OEM $400 assembly..

Now one option you SHOULD explore, is to contact the manuacturer, explaining what you want to do. They may sell you 2 ( 4's better) of the arched pieces at cost or take on the design/build of a SSQA version, sending you a unit for 'real World' testing and evaluation. If they take it on, they get another saleable product ! Anyone with SSQA would probably rather have that version than the 'clamp on'.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a hydraulic sicklebar trimmer (Sabre Samurai) that clamps to the side of the bucket on my loader. Not terribly stiff. In fact, due to the leverage of the mount and the thin sides of my bucket, it flops around like a wounded duck. Plus, clamping it to the bucket puts the weight significantly forward of the loader arms, which doesn't help.

I bought a blank SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) plate that mounts to my loader arms nicely, will pull things a foot or more closer to the tractor and allows for quick mount/dismount versus dicking around with set screws and alignment, etc.

Plan A was to modify the original bracket and weld it to the SSQA which would stiffen things up nicely. However, looking at the bracket, I'd have to chop it up pretty significantly and if it doesn't work or I don't like it, I'm screwed.

A spare fully adjustable mounting bracket with spring loaded break-away (all of which is a requirement) is $400 plus shipping.

I'm wondering if having the relevant pieces cut out on a water jet and weld up a new mount myself would save me any money.

I would need the two pieces with the arced adjustment slots cut in them. It's 10mm steel, but 1/2 inch would be fine.

Two questions:

1. Any clue at all what I should expect to pay? I realize this would vary by area/market but a ballpark figure would be helpful in making a decision. I do have two shops in a reasonable distance that have water jet cutting capability.

2. Do they need a CAD drawing to work from, or can I just leave the original for them to copy. If they need the CAD, it would obviously be cheaper for me to come up with a CAD drawing than to have them do it.
Piece of cake. I do this all of the time so I am not guessing.

You want laser rather than water jet. They will need a DXF or similar for the flat pattern geometry and will use it exactly as you send it. What they see is what you get.

I just had these cut from 3/8" steel - 8" tall by 10" wide. Price was $22 each and included the press brake bending. I expect that was better part of $5 per piece. The premium for cutting 1/8" thicker material is almost negligible.

That said online laser cutting services will hit you for a big premium on just 4 pieces - the shop I use does not. If you can sent me a DXF of your part I will get you a quote drop shipped to your door.

Dan

20230115_182552[1].jpg

Reactions: 2 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My experiences mirror TheOldHokie's. Before I retired about a year and a half ago, there were several shops that would do work for us with waterjet, plasma and laser. I knew enough CAD to make accurate drawings for the stuff we needed. It was a simple matter of saving the drawings as dxf files and emailing them to the vendors. The simple pieces like 1/4" SS corner brackets for our utility trailers (around $6 each) that were done on a water jet. I had a large cover plate made for about a dozen different switches for controlling gym equipment lasered into a single sheet of stainless - complete with both internal and external keyed holes, holes for mounting screws and the works. We supplied the stainless cover and they burned the holes for less than 30 bucks.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
PDS - Pretty Darn Simple 👍

Dan
Well, duh. Now why didn't I think of that? Simple, effective, versatile and most of all, CHEAP!

Thanks!
It might have been my one shining moment in life! :ROFLMAO:
There is no real need to bolt it in place. Once we got tired of unbolting to switch positions, I made a pin for that 1/2 inch hole. Much quicker to switch positions and no worries of it going anywhere. A set of quick couplers at the cutter would sure be nice for switching positions from side to side. It's heavy and cumbersome as is, without the hoses catching on something when relocating it.

I can't remember if I mentioned it in that thread: But there's also extra holes on the main mount that the cutter is attached to so that it can be turned 90° and reattached there as well. A little box mounted on the SSQA with a couple of dedicated wrenches would be handy!!

I'll have to update that post with some additional thoughts after having used it pretty heavily last fall. Life got in the way, memmory isn't quite what it once was.....etc.

David

Last edited: